What's Your Favorite Broadway Play

AngieJules

The other day on TCM I caught the last part of Gypsy (where Rosalind Russell sings Rose's Turn)and I've been singing that tune incessantly ever since.

Previous Obsessions: The Music Man, Ragtime, Wicked, Avenue Q, Victor/Victoria, My Fair Lady (The Julie Andrews Version), Mame, Annie Get Your Gune, to name a few, that is :rolleyes_anim:

Only one did I ever really want to go see and did) which would be one of the ones you listed: Avenue Q. Excellent performances and script and songs.

Avenue Q, Legally Blonde, Wicked, Spamalot, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels... AMAZING soundtracks and pretty darn good on stage too.

Disney translates really well on Stage too... they're so musical and dancey to begin with...

Then... gotta give props to the classics.... West Side Story, Cats, Phantom...

I really want to see American Idiot on stage... I have a feeling that is pretty awesome.

I love showtunes.... gotta say =P

@Kuroida: Wicked was totally awesome! Glenda Love Forever! My favorite part would have to have been Defying Gravity when Elphaba is on her broomstick flying up and the whole backdrop is black. Ive never seen the Nutcracker in person but I did learn all the songs (embarrassingly enough) from one of my childhood movies, the Care Bears The Nutcracker. And Im sure I too drove my parents crazy!

@Yozora: Avenue Q had me laughing all the way home! Some of my personal favorites: If You Were Gay; Everyone's A Little Bit Racist; The Internet Is For (Trekkie!); and Schadenfreude. To bad we cant all be as frank and honest as the cast of Avenue Q…

@Fabkiwi06: Never saw Legally Blonde but love the CD, never saw Spamalot but heard great reviews, and as for Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, think I caught part of the movie (for shame. I know).

Beauty and the Beast was the second Broadway play I ever saw and I was literally mesmerizedthen again, I was like 12. lol.

I really liked West Side Story, but again only the movie. Never saw Cats or Phantom but I do like a few songs. (I was in Las Vegas this past summer and I picked up this really cute M&M shirt from the M&M Store--see below.)I like Green Day, but I dont know if Id see a whole musical. If you see it youll have to give me the scoop.

I too love show tunes, You Can't Stop The Beat from Hairspray and My Strongest Suit from Aida

Candy-1.jpg

@Yukon Cornflakes: I like Mama Mia! and Hairspray. I think I've heard of The Crucible and Urinetown but I really don't recall.

@RayHumbert: I agree, Sondheim is fantastic! Favorites: Gypsy, Anyone Can Whistle and Sweeney Todd.

I've seen: Miss Saigon on Broadway in New York. Needless to say... not my type of thing. I was 7. :laughingsmiley:

Then locally, I've seen Phantom of the Opera and Beauty and Beast.

My favorite was Beauty and the Beast.

Oh and I saw Repo. That was just weird.

@Spritzie: I've never seen Miss Saigon but I did see La bohème; I enjoyed that very much. But then again, opera and musicals are defiantly my cup of tea :) Repo, humm...never heard of that before. Weird like Rocky Horror?

@Spritzie: I've never seen Miss Saigon but I did see La bohème; I enjoyed that very much. But then again, opera and musicals are defiantly my cup of tea :) Repo, humm...never heard of that before. Weird like Rocky Horror?

Yes. It's that kind of weird. It's like a futuristic, where a disease is doing something to peoples organs and the surgeries are really expensive. So a company starts basically leasing out organs and doing the surgeries. But when you can't make the payments, they repossess the organs. o_O My husband loves it. I think it's just strange and rather creepy.

o_O is correct! Wow...

Even though I'm not a huge sci-fi fan, Repo kind of piques my interest. Although I better not tell my little brother--the whole government contaminating the water supply conspiracy. lol.

Someone mention Sondheim? He is my favorite musical writer ever. He's really great and if anyone ever gets a chance to see one of his productions, I highly recommend going. You won't regret it.

Our school actually put on a production of Into the Woods last year. It was pretty good.

I think a great show I saw in Chicago last year was Billy Elliot. Great songs, especially Solidarity, and has this really deep and sad ending, plus it gives great insight about a time in England that not many people here in America know too much about, and the politics behind it is interesting. Of course, the curtain call ruined that feeling with an extremely festive song, but don't all curtain calls do that?

@Unstream: Oh yes, how could we not mention Sondheim. I caught into the woods about two or three years ago and it was pretty good. And how could one mention Sondheim and not Jerry Herman? What and where would we be without them.

My godmother and her husband went to New York to see Billy Elliot and they said "it was the most wonder show." She lent me the CD a while ago but I have yet to play it. I think I shall after reading your commentary :)

I just love curtain call and I guess never really thought of it as ruining the mood.

Anyone see Next to Normal? It was off-Broadway for a long while, but it recently was brought to Broadway with much enthusiasm. Parts of it are a tad melodramatic, but my god, the soundtrack is amazing and the acting was incredible.

There was only one set, so there wasn't much visual interest, but it was the story that did it for me. Really excellent stuff.

Anyone see Next to Normal? It was off-Broadway for a long while, but it recently was brought to Broadway with much enthusiasm. Parts of it are a tad melodramatic, but my god, the soundtrack is amazing and the acting was incredible.

There was only one set, so there wasn't much visual interest, but it was the story that did it for me. Really excellent stuff.

Yes! I actually saw it when it was still off Broadway. I loved the set, it was so metal-y (I love wrought iron) and they could climb all over it. I thought it didn't have much visual interest on its own, but once you put the actors into it it all came together.

The last musical I saw was Jersey Boys. I'm not a huge musical fan, and I thought it was going to be super cheesy but it was really great.