Missing Header!

The Score in Blue

The neopets header has completely gone!

You can't see the neopets logo at the top or the my account, pet central etc. links at the top.

Also, if you look at the Adblock blockable items, the header and link pictures appear but they are not on the screen.

Problem on my side or Neopets?

I had this issue this morning. It's a Ad block/Neopets issue. It happened right after my Ad Block updated. I had to disable Ad Block for now. Neopets probably made some coding change. I don't believe there is a fix yet.

Yes, it looks like the people at EasyList have added a new filter that messes things up again... I'll get on it right away.

Edit: The problem turned out to involve a rather curious combination of coding changes in the Neopets header, a new EasyList filter, and an old workaround in TDN's own custom filter list. I've tweaked our filter list to resolve the problem - just update your Adblock Plus subscriptions (Ctrl + Shift + E, then Ctrl + Shift + T) and your ad-free Neopia should be happy and complete again. :yes:

Heh, it's not really so much programming as dissecting HTML and CSS to figure out the page layout. xD Unless of course you have JavaScript that messes with the DOM involved, then it can start to get hairy.

The problem turned out to involve a rather curious combination of coding changes in the Neopets header, a new EasyList filter, and an old workaround in TDN's own custom filter list. I've tweaked our filter list to resolve the problem - just update your Adblock Plus subscriptions (Ctrl + Shift + E, then Ctrl + Shift + T) and your ad-free Neopia should be happy and complete again. :yes:

I tried this, and it's still not working right for me. Everything is updated for me. (I'm assuming this works for Chrome as well?)

Oh, you guys are using Chrome? I didn't realise that. xD Well, Chrome uses the same filters as Firefox (assuming you installed AdBlock from our guide), but the procedure for updating your subscriptions is a bit different.

Try this:

1) Wrench > Tools > Clear Browsing Data

2) Check "Empty the cache"

3) Set "Clear data from this period" to "Everything"

4) Hit Clear browsing data

5) Wrench > Tools > Extensions > Options (under AdBlock) > Filter lists tab > update now

Edit: It appears that Chrome renders the page differently from Firefox, so the header is still missing even with the updated filters. I'll look more into this, but for now you can disable AdBlock under the Extensions page as a workaround.

Oh, you guys are using Chrome? I didn't realise that. xD Well, Chrome uses the same filters as Firefox (assuming you installed AdBlock from our guide), but the procedure for updating your subscriptions is a bit different.

Try this:

1) Wrench > Tools > Clear Browsing Data

2) Check "Empty the cache"

3) Set "Clear data from this period" to "Everything"

4) Hit Clear browsing data

5) Wrench > Tools > Extensions > Options (under AdBlock) > Filter lists tab > update now

Edit: It appears that Chrome renders the page differently from Firefox, so the header is still missing even with the updated filters. I'll look more into this, but for now you can disable AdBlock under the Extensions page as a workaround.

Thank you for writing out the steps. When it comes time to do that, now I know how.

I'll be watching for the solution, but until then, I do have it disabled. :)

It looks like there's no way to work around the Chrome issue in our own filters - I've filed an upstream report with the EasyList maintainers, so hopefully this should be sorted out soon. :yes:

The offending EasyList filter has now been removed - Chrome users can now get the fix by updating their filter subscriptions. The same fix still applies for Firefox users (Ctrl + Shift + E, then Ctrl + Shift + T). Happy browsing! :)

The offending EasyList filter has now been removed - Chrome users can now get the fix by updating their filter subscriptions. The same fix still applies for Firefox users (Ctrl + Shift + E, then Ctrl + Shift + T). Happy browsing! :)

This still didn't work for me. I cleared my cache and updated my filter subscriptions. :(

No dice? Blast! This works in Chromium for me. o_O Are you sitting behind a squid proxy (or other caching proxy) of some sort?

It would probably help if you could copy everything from this link and paste it inside code tags for me to take a look at. :yes:

No dice? Blast! This works in Chromium for me. o_O Are you sitting behind a squid proxy (or other caching proxy) of some sort?

It would probably help if you could copy everything from this link and paste it inside code tags for me to take a look at. :yes:

I have no idea. I don't know any of that technical stuff, but I am on a work computer.

And I can't paste it here, because it says it makes my post too long.

Okay, Pastebin should do the trick then - just dump it there and link me to it. :)

Well, this does seem like rather a lot of effort for an attempt to spot one single filter. xD But I'm being an idiot - it's simple enough for you to do a quick inline search yourself.

It worked like magic after you had me search it. I updated after that and it was fixed. (It doesn't make any sense, as I've updated at least 5-7 times since this started, but I'm just glad it worked.)

Thank you!

You're welcome. :) I think the problem was probably on your network's side, and you somehow managed to trigger a cache refresh.