Does anyone know anything about cars?

Rae

I'm 19 and I've never had my own car before. So I was hoping I could talk to some people that know cars fairly well about things that I might need to know? Like... tires and checking engine or something HAHAHA. I'm going to a dealership later by myself and I'm nervous. I went on Yahoo Answers too but they're usually just sarcastic and un-helpful :P

I presonally don't know that much about cars but here's a helpful site that shows you what to look for in a used car. http://www.samarins.com/check/simplecheck.html

My other suggestions is to make sure you're going to a place that you trust maybe even somewhere you know someone else went to. Also, if you get a car that necessarily everyone doesn't want, for example the brand name or model, you will save money obviously. Oh, and clearly you should test drive. Good luck!

Before you go to the dealership, you should learn as much as you can about the car, just in general. They've done lots and lots of studies and the dealership "increases" the price for girls because they assume they don't know what they're talking about (which is usually true, but they dont need to know that!). Otherwise it really depends on what you like. Higher cylinders will equal worse gas mileage, but higher speeds/rate of speed (which is handy when you need to get out of the way of something/one). All wheel drive is the safest, but if you live where there arent any hills/snow/lots of water/etc, then it doesnt really matter. Rear wheel and front wheel drive will feel a lot different and you have to drive them differently......etc... theres a lot.... i dunno what exactly you're looking for, but i do know a little so send me a pm if you want! :evo:

I'm 16 so I don't drive much and I don't know much about cars D: But if we're talking ferrari's then maybe I can help you (Ferrari Formula One fan here) :P

I think generally we need to know what model or at least the type of car you're looking for. If you're looking for speed then get a car with lots of horsepower and the more cylinders the better. I think a V6 would do budget wise....V8 is the best though since it's smoother than a V6 and much cheaper than a V12....wait... now Im getting ahead of myself :P

ANYWAYS, what I say matter is gas mileage and insurance. You don't want to spend thousands on gas only to have your car suck you dry in a day or something and insurance is almost as much as the car itself for some models o.0

For safety get a vehicle with airbags (obviously) and ABS (don't know if that costs more though....)

Comfort? Good suspension, good steering (I think they let you test out the car. If it doesn't feel right then obviously don't get it)

If it's a used car CHECK THE MILEAGE! You don't want to buy a car that's about to die anyways >_>

Tires? Well the tires that come with the car generally suck anyways but they'll last a few months. You'll need to buy a fresh set eventually though....

....I think I'm missing something but I can't remember what it is so I'll leave it at that...

Buying a car can be tricky business. There are so many variables to consider, and some of them are not as obvious as you might think. I've always had a big interest in cars, and I take an active interest in what I am driving. My husband was an apprentice mechanic, so I was lucky enough to have a few years' insight into the auto industry.

Some of the recommendations I could make:

1. Look at how much money you have to spend on the initial purchase, then consider all the options you have that fall within your price range. Also consider cars that are slightly above your budget. Car maintenance can be quite expensive, and you might find it to be more to your advantage to pay more up front to avoid paying high maintenance costs.
  2. Make an annual budget for maintaining your car.
  3. Research the cost of repairs for the cars you are considering. Some makes and/or models of car will be really cheap to repair. These cars will likely also need repairs more frequently. Other cars will have rather rare and expensive replacement parts. Research the most common repairs needed for any model year of car you are considering to find out if anticipated repairs fall within your annual maintenance budget. Also consider how much "down time" you can live with while waiting for repairs. Some parts might take as much as a week or more to reach your repair facility.
  4. Check the cost of insurance on any car you are planning to purchase. Make sure that it is affordable to you. I don't know what insurance laws are like where you live, but even if it's not required by law, insurance is worth having.
  5. Don't forget to include yearly licencing fees in your budget. Does your state require annual emissions or safety inspections that you will have to pay for?
  6. Budget for regular maintenance, such as oil changes, tire rotation, radiator flushes, etc.
  7. Check the anticipated fuel economy of the cars you are considering. Does your choice require premium fuel? The cost of fuel can fluctuate a lot, so consider how much you can afford to spend on gas.
  8. Consider your driving skill. Really critically think about it. Consider the types of vehicles you have spent the most time driving. How do you feel about what you have driven before? Did you take a driver education course? If you do not have a lot of driving experience, confidence, or a good driving record, strongly consider a small, front-wheel drive car. You will come to appreciate the ease of manoeuverability.
  9. Bigger does not mean safer. Bigger = heavier. And heavier means longer stopping distance. Provided that your brakes are new, you might stop in time if you floor the petal. Once. Then you will need new brakes.
  10. Check the mileage of the cars you are considering. Mileage is a sometimes a complicated factor is making a car choice. Each engine design has a different life expectancy, if the car is well-maintained. Check car forums to see what the average life expectancy of a certain engine is expected to be. My current car was purchased with 275,000 km on the engine, and based on other owners' experience, I expect to get at least another 100,000 km out of it.
  11. Even if your tires are fine when you buy the car, expect to replace them in 2 years.
  12. Avoid buying a car that has been in a collision. There may be damage that goes deeper than you can see or feel during a test drive.
  13. New car dealerships can be just as corrupt as used car lots. They are privately owned and out to make money.
  14. Do not let the media influence your buying decision. The media never gives the full story. Do your own research and ask questions to people who are a part of the industry.

I hope this helps.

Just to add to what everybody else has said, you should definitely look seriously at some barely used cars. There are a lot of them out there that still work in great condition, and if you get one you'll save yourself a ton of money because the moment you buy a new car the value of it begins to depreciate.

Just be sure to check it's condition. Make sure everything functional, not too many miles on it, etc. ;)

Wow thank you all so much!! It all helped a great deal. I'll make sure to take all of it into consideration when I go to look at more cars :D