im having some problems with neopets

Shadaw the Rampage

any time i try to go to neopets right now, its slow and my page is streached huge. it only returns to normal when addblock plus is turned off. can anyone offer advice or tell me what im doing wrong please?

btw im not sure if this is the right area i went with the most logical place i could think of.

Hmm... sounds like an ABP filter issue to me, but I can't reproduce it myself. A screenshot of the problem would be useful, if you can provide one. :yes:

Well, I was hoping you could get a screenshot of the Neopets page problem, so that I could investigate further and perhaps supply you with an exception filter as a workaround until I can get the problem fixed upstream. However, seeing as ABP is blocking other stuff for you, I'm beginning to suspect the problem is a rogue filter rather than a layout change that invalidated the existing filters, so it would probably be more useful if you could open your blockable items list (Ctrl + Shift + V), find your avatar, and tell me what filter is being applied to it. :)

any time i try to go to neopets right now, its slow and my page is streached huge. it only returns to normal when addblock plus is turned off. can anyone offer advice or tell me what im doing wrong please?

btw im not sure if this is the right area i went with the most logical place i could think of.

Actually I'm kinda having the same problem, though not as severely. It is running slow for me also. I don't have stretched images though; the only thing stretched is the time and links at the top (my username/NPs/NC/Logout links run off the page into the grey, I have to scroll right to log out.) When I turn off Adblock and refresh the page, that stupid little Nickelodeon bar thing reappears at the very top of the page and the username/etc. links appear normally. There's also a totally different login page now, so maybe it's more Neo monkeying with their coding or whatever again, rather than Adblock malfunctioning (at least in my case, though if you're having trouble with other sites maybe you have a separate issue with yours.) I know nothing about coding or Adblock's filters so that's the best I can guess, but I can take screenshots of Adblock on vs. Adblock off on my inventory page if it helps.

Yes, screenshots would be good, and a look at your blockable items list would also be helpful. :yes:

Ok, done. I hope these are what you were looking for, let me know if I need to take pictures of something else or whatever. :) Thanks for your help!

AdBlock ON:

AdBlockON.gif

AdBlock OFF:

AdBlockOFF.gif

Blockable items (same page):

Blockableitems1.gif

Blockableitems2.gif

Thanks for all the info! :)

I've analysed the problem, and by the looks of it TNT has moved some of their layout rules into the same CSS file that's used to load many of their ads. The CSS file is being blocked (naturally), and unfortunately this means that the layout rules are being blocked with them.

I've whitelisted the aforementioned CSS file in TDN's filter list (this isn't really a problem, as the ads it loads are blocked anyway), which should fix the problem without allowing any ads through. The only caveat is that this regresses a fix I was able to push a while ago, and the top banner of a number of themes (including Altadorian Constellations) will now be hidden again. A layout error is more important than a minor cosmetic issue though, so until TNT settles down their code and I can find a neater fix, this will do.

If you followed TDN's guide to set up Adblock Plus, all you have to do is update your Adblock subscriptions to pick up the fix (Ctrl+Shift+E, then Ctrl+Shift+T). Otherwise, you can click on the link in the guide that says 'Click here for TDN's filter list' to subscribe to our filters. :yes:

Shadaw, if that doesn't fix your problem, then I'm still going to need some information from your blockable items list to find your rogue filter:

However, seeing as ABP is blocking other stuff for you, I'm beginning to suspect the problem is a rogue filter rather than a layout change that invalidated the existing filters, so it would probably be more useful if you could open your blockable items list (Ctrl + Shift + V), find your avatar, and tell me what filter is being applied to it. :)

You're not an idiot, I just make posts that are way too long. :P Anyway, I'm glad to see that things seem to be working for you. I'll leave this topic open until it's confirmed that all the issues are resolved.

Well, assuming you're using the Adblock for Chrome extension, it should in theory run on the same filter lists as Adblock Plus (with perhaps a few subtle differences when processing some of the newer syntax). This should mean that the fix for Chrome is pretty much the same as the fix for Firefox:

If you followed TDN's guide to set up Adblock Plus, all you have to do is update your Adblock subscriptions to pick up the fix (Ctrl+Shift+E, then Ctrl+Shift+T). Otherwise, you can click on the link in the guide that says 'Click here for TDN's filter list' to subscribe to our filters. :yes:

The exception, of course, is that the update procedure is Wrench > Tools > Extensions, Adblock Options, Filter lists tab, update now. You'll also want to use the guide for Chrome rather than the one for Firefox.

Unfortunately, I've tested this a little and Chrome Adblock doesn't seem to be interpreting the whitelist filter correctly. Technically speaking, this isn't a bug on our side... but I'll look into it anyway. xD

Edit: As outlined in the posts below, this fix actually does work just fine. If it doesn't apply properly for you, just update Adblock for Chrome (visiting its page and hitting the install button again should do the trick), clear your browser cache, and try again.

Oh dear. Now I've managed to fix a problem for you that I haven't been able to sort out on my own computer... although I guess that's explained by me running a bleeding edge development version of Chromium. xD

*ahem* You're welcome! :)

Edit: After some further poking around, I found that an extension update and a flush of the cache sorted the problem. So, um... I guess I can thank myself now? :P