General Lookups Question~

Aloezam

Ok, so I'm actually working on my first user lookup right now. I have one question though. I know that you're not allowed to remove personal information and then retype it. However, I want to know if you can remove the top neopets yellow banner and just retype the links (ex: my account games boards etc...)

Big thanks go to anyone who can help me, and especially if you could help me find an official TNT response to this particular question.

~Johnathon

Thanks, I was pretty sure, seeing as most premade lookups do this, but it never hurts to get an answer from someone with personal experience. ;) Thanks much, I really appreciate your fast response.

You're welcome!

This editorial: http://www.neopets.com/ntimes/index.phtml?section=editorial&issue=230 pretty much tells you whats allowed on a userlookup (and other things like shops or pet lookups).

Here's what is said:

Okay, so I asked this on the Help Board, but no one seemed to have an answer for me. So straight to the source I went! I know there are specific rules for what you can and can't cover up in a userlookup or guild, but what about shops? I recently came across a shop with a full page layout. TThe navigation (retyped) & items were there, but otherwise everything else (shopkeeper, report this shop link, etc) was covered. Is this against the rules? ~thedevilsarithmatic

Erm, yes. Covering the report shop link especially is not allowed. In short, any links on the page must always be there. To clarify, here's a list of the definitive rules on the subject.

User Lookup:

* You MUST have your real, official stats viewable. You cannot retype these yourself. They have to be the official, default stats that exist on every user lookup. (Your block of text info, your Neopets, your trophies, etc.) This is so that everyone visiting your lookup knows for sure that this is your true information.

* You can cover your shield! It's quite nice to cover it with something that matches the theme of your lookup. And your join date is available in your text stats, so covering the shield does not hide how long you've been on the site. However, you CANNOT cover this shield with a different, official Neopian shield. If your current shield says "2 Years," you can't cover it with the 5 year shield.

* You should have the standard yellow bar links so that they are clickable. They don't have to be on the bar itself, so you can retype them as text links or make your own navigation bar if you like. Whatever you wish as long as those links are on the page. :)

Pet Lookups:

* The correct stats of your Neopet(s) must be displayed. Again, you cannot retype them or cover them in any way.

Shop/Gallery:

* You can replace the side navigation and header as long as ALL standard navigation links are clickable somewhere else in your shop/gallery. If you do not have these links, your shop/gallery will be cleared.

* In general, all other information, such as prices, your account name, user lookup and report links, etc, must be clearly visible and clickable.

* For shops specifically, you CANNOT have your font color and background colour the same, or similar enough that it is difficult to read the prices of your items. Your shop will be cleared if a monitor sees this. A user must be able to clearly see what they are buying and how much it costs.

Guilds:

* The real guild navigation and welcome sections must be visible. You may cover everything else with graphics, but if you do, the yellow bar links MUST exist somewhere else on the page so that people can navigate away from your guild.

There may be some things we missed, but it should be quite clear from this list what is and isn't allowed. :) If you have all the real information from the specific page viewable, and the user can navigate all the links on the page that are normally found there, your code is probably good to go.