What does TDN think of vinyl records?

Contrabassist

Personally, I think they're awesome. I just went through about 125 of them. My brother works at a thrift store and they had overstock, so I got them :D I have a collection of them hanging on my wall. I'll listen to the good ones, but I like to create patterns with them and some CDs on my walls :]

I collect them! <3 <3 Not sure how many I have, over 100 that's for sure. I started out collecting Zeppelin, bought myself a record player and expanded. I have a lot of Beatles, Floyd, Cream, Bob Dylan, Jethro Tull, Jefferson Airplane, Hendrix, Donovan, Joan Baez, Van Morrisson and some newer ones like The Cure, AFI and The Misfits that I buy here and there. Record hunting is so much fun, although sometimes very frustrating!

But nothing beats finding that perfect album and running home to listen to it. For some reason listening to vinyl feels like an experience.

EDIT: And The Yardbirds! Oh it was such a happy day when I found them on vinyl. It wasn't for sale in the store I was in (they were just doing inventory of a new shipment of used records) but the guy was so happy to see someone get THAT excited that he gave it to me for free! :)

Yup :] I just sorted through that huge stack. I had about 40 before I got those. My boyfriend and I are into vinyls and records. He's into a lot of sound equipment, and may become a DJ one day. It's interesting.

In my huge stack of records, I found a Gregorian Chants record. I think we're gonna listen to it, and then play with the sound and listen to it backwards.

I have an iPod, because I wanted a large amount of storage, and I got it before the other MP3 Players caught up to the large amounts of storage. I don't use CDs too often.

I like to collect two types of vinyl: Ones I know were never reissued on CD, and rare R&B from the 60s and 70s.

One of my prized possessions is DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince He's the DJ, I'm the Rapper. The first vinyl I ever bought. :)

But I'm like CAV - my music collection now is purely digital. I have a Creative Zen (no overhyped Apple products for me, thanks). My husband got me a vinyl-to-mp3 recorder for Christmas a couple years ago so even my vinyl is digital now.

I'm not a big fan of records, as they tend to alter the music slightly. But there are some songs I actually prefer on vinyl. "Sunshine Superman" by Donovan is one that comes to mind.

I don't own any kind of music, no money to spend on it. And I don't want to download it illegal because I don't want to risk being caught. Now days, I just listen to everything online.

Just sayin, they pay far more attention to file sharers than downloaders.

Not that I would encourage illegal downloads or anything. :whistle:

Really? I thought it was both.

I'm just waiting till I get 70-80$ so I can pay for a yearly subscription to this music downloader thing.

Nope. It's highly unlikely to nearly impossible to find downloaders. Unless, of course, someone is reckless and happens to download like terabytes of stuff, which usually gets them snitched out by their isp.

File sharers, on the other hand, are a lot easier to find. The RIAA figures that if they find one hapless person sharing 8 songs and sue them for a million dollars per song, that they'll frighten everyone away. And their diabolical strategy has worked, kinda.

Just like everything else in life, moderation is key. :)

Not that I would ever encourage downloading files illegally.

Nope. It's highly unlikely to nearly impossible to find downloaders. Unless, of course, someone is reckless and happens to download like terabytes of stuff, which usually gets them snitched out by their isp.

File sharers, on the other hand, are a lot easier to find. The RIAA figures that if they find one hapless person sharing 8 songs and sue them for a million dollars per song, that they'll frighten everyone away. And their diabolical strategy has worked, kinda.

Just like everything else in life, moderation is key. :)

Not that I would ever encourage downloading files illegally.

Oh, wow. I really didn't know any of that. I googled "Can Torrentz be tracked" a while back ago, and it said it could, and then it gave the reasons why. One of them was something about anyone being able to see your Ip Address. Plus all the articles about people being sued for downloading illegal music, sort of scared me XD.

Torrents, yes. Downloads from other sources, not so much. :)

And of course you are nervous. It's perfectly understandable. I was just throwing my two cents in. I didn't mean to come off like "OMG illegal downloads are totally awesome! You should really go start doing that!" :P

Torrents, yes. Downloads from other sources, not so much. :)

And of course you are nervous. It's perfectly understandable. I was just throwing my two cents in. I didn't mean to come off like "OMG illegal downloads are totally awesome! You should really go start doing that!" :P

Ooh. I thought you were talking about torrents the whole time XD. I used to download music from other sources, but I wasn't sure if they had viruses, so I stopped.

I know, you didn't really come off as that XD.

I lol'd so hard at the repetition of "Not that I would ever encourage downloading music illegally", hahaha.

And a big YES for "Sunshine Superman" by Donovan. Epic epic epic.

Rising Star, have you ever tried Pandora radio? It's free and takes music that you like and plays similar songs and artists. I highly recommend it and you'll find a lot of new fun stuff as well.

I lol'd so hard at the repetition of "Not that I would ever encourage downloading music illegally", hahaha.

And a big YES for "Sunshine Superman" by Donovan. Epic epic epic.

Rising Star, have you ever tried Pandora radio? It's free and takes music that you like and plays similar songs and artists. I highly recommend it and you'll find a lot of new fun stuff as well.

Yep, that's what I've been using XD. I really do love it, beside the 40 hour thing per month. I tend to use all mine up >>

Aw, blah! Hmmm, I think LastFm has a radio attachment as well. *nods* Also, to those non-ipod users I suggest a Zune. I love mine and haven't had any problems with it. (Even after dropping it a few times. *sweatdrop*

I really need to get a vinyl to mp3 converter. A lot of my rare records I can't find the mp3s to ANYWHERE and would like to have a backup copy of the music. (But they're pretty expensive!)