Life is precious

Guest Trace

Of course you have heared that saying before, "life is precious" But why would someone end this beautiful gift? Suicide has striken my school, twice during the last month. A very good friend of mine, Damon Freeman, 16,, commited suicide not to long ago. And if things couldn't get anyworse, another guy, I didn't realy know him, ended his life before his time.

Threats led to Damon's suicide, I will not say what type of threats because that would break this forum's specific rules. He feared for his life so he ended it! He never thought things through, but he should have reconsidered.

I will say this about Damon, as if things couldn't get any worse for his family. At the funeral reception, the wallet containing donations that were going to pay for his funeral was stollen. His Father is a pastor and his mother doesn't work, so they needed this money.

I wish to stress this, DO NOT CONSIDER SUICIDE AT ALL!!! Minor inconvinences are not reasons to commit this unholy sin.

im really sorry that happened to you. ive considered commiting suicide lots of times before and almost attempted it. those times i was hated and betrayed and i never did anything mean to anyone. i literally cried every day, but only when got home because when id have trouble holding it in i woul get beat up by males and females even thogh males cant hit females but t was more than just htting me, it was beating me up. the staff at the school were very bad. they didnt care. i didnt even have one friend. i was the most hated person in the school and im not exhaggerating. ive almost became a cutter but it grossrd me out. not the blood, but the vains. i think i was hated because i was the only rocker at the school everyone else liked rap and junk. now i go to a different school that had a few rockers there that i got along with so im not as sad as then.

aw, I am sorry to hear this :(

Though I was bullied all through school, and got to hating myself and my life, I never ever considered suicide seriously.

This is really because my dad had an older brother who commited suicide (long before I was born, so I never knew him), and I know the effect it can have on the people left behind.

So, remember there is always someone who loves you, who will suffer if you do something like this :(

That is absolutely awful. I've never had to go through the pain of losing someone to suicide, and I hope it never happens. I, at one time, attempted suicide. Twice. I've fully recovered at this point (been off my meds for a few months now), but I can't imagine what I put my family and friends through. Suicide is never worth it, and it will not make anyone feel better, not even yourself. Because then you'll never know what might have been, and I think that's the most frustrating thing of all.

although i really don't appreciate life, i have never really considered suicide. It just seems so weird, like I know it would never go the way I would want it to. Just know that by committing suicide, you're putting your family and friends through a really tough time.

• 3 weeks later...

There have been 2 suicides in my community by gay teens. One was 21 the other was 16, both due to the immense torture and harassment from family and people around him.

It just makes me so angry to know that these religious nut cases who claim to be protecting their families and pushing the will of God are the one's destroying families, harassing homosexuals and ultimately causing them to take their own lives.

I will certainly never forget those who have tortured me when they are in need of assistance.

I myself have attempted suicide a few times, obviously without avail. I think a lot of people don't realize the extent of the harassment gays, especially males, go through in High School and in their communities in general.

Of course, I now realize that's not the way to solve problems but I try and join support groups for young gay teens because I've been in their shoes and thought their thoughts. Bleh...

I'd like to add my voice to this thread because I think if anyone who is feeling suicidal visits they need to hear differing opinions, or ways of thinking about suicide. I feel like some people who can't understand that suicidal feeling are quite accusatory to the people who do. I feel that is the wrong way to handle it as it makes it harder for those who need help to come forward and ask for it (but please don't feel like I am invalidating your feelings - everyone deals with this in different ways, I'd just like to bring my thoughts to the table).

While I agree, that life is precious and am so so sorry for everyones losses, especially in cases where deaths have occurred due to bullying and outside circumstances, I hold a differing view towards suicide - before you react, hear me out.

I have felt suicidal many times myself, my best friend has attempted suicide, my mother and uncle both go through suicidal periods and a boy I had a big crush on in high school eventually committed suicide. The way that I feel about suicide is this - you never know what is going to happen next. The way you are feeling now WILL pass. Whatever is causing your misery, you CAN escape it. School is not life. Family is not life. Bullies ALWAYS end up on the bottom once high school finishes. If there is a cancer in your life, you can cut it out. Empower yourself and live the way you want to live.

I feel very sad when someone commits suicide, because I feel that they do miss out on what may be around the next corner. BUT at the same time, I understand why they do what they do. I accept that their life is their own and taking it is their choice to make. I do NOT endorse it, I just accept it. For those who are religious, there is another saying "god works in mysterious ways". When talking about "your time"...well perhaps god decided that it was their time. We'll never know about that. And calling it an unholy sin...well I feel that just adds to the taboo surrounding suicide and makes it harder for those who are feeling that way to come forward and ask for help. And they DO need help. Depression isn't a weakness it is an ILLNESS. Every doctor in the world knows this. And what might seem like a minor inconvenience to someone who is healthy, with a mental illness something like that can destroy your heart and soul.

In addition to this, not everyone who commits suicide leaves a note behind - sometimes we'll never know the reason. There are people who have terminal diseases in agonising pain, people with schizophrenia who hear terrifying voices telling them to do things, people who are being abused physically, emotionally or sexually, people who are trapped in situations they feel they can't escape. Sometimes the reason they feel so trapped is that they are ashamed of their problems and too scared to come forward and talk to somebody about it. To those people I say, find the right person who will not judge you, who will love you unconditionally, who will tell you that if something is happening to you it is NOT your fault. Even if you feel this way for no reason IT IS NOT YOUR FAULT. But it is up to you to ask for help. It is so hard to take actions to help yourself, I of all people know, but it really does help. Believe me.

If anyone reading this is depressed or suicidal, there are places that can help, give you someone to talk to, it REALLY does help to get counselling or therapy - just make sure you get the right person because you can't be compatible with everyone - if one person sux to talk to, find another person. Look online, there are tonnes of doctors and organisations that deal with these problems, most likely there is one in your area. I am in Australia so here are some links for those here:

http://www.suicidehelpline.org.au/

http://www.beyondblue.org.au/index.aspx?link_id=1.12

http://depressionet.com.au/

http://www.depression.com.au/

For those who are dealing with losing someone they loved or knew or even didn't know, counselling can help with that too. I hope I didn't make anyone feel bad with this message as that isn't my intent at all. I hope it might help someone to read this and maybe give some hope that you can move through depression and come out the other side with help, understanding, love and support, even if you have to be the one who gives yourself those things.