Poem I did for English class (rate please!)

Flameheart

This poem is a "Biographical Character Poem" we had to do for this historical fiction book called The Book Thief. I did the character Max Vandenburg, a Jewish man going into hiding. If you haven't read the book, just rate based on wording and flow, please!

An anxious Jew, hiding in the dark,

Waits with bated breath,

For the soft, silent tread of a friend with a book,

Or the boot-thumps of possible death.

Max is hopeful that the dreaded word "Papers,"

Whispered far and near,

Will never be uttered on his train ride to Molching,

For that would be the end of all things dear.

Careful and brave, Max knocks on the door,

"My Struggle" still clutched in his hand,

To see if his father's friend is still a friend,

The one-man accordion band.

The days, they pass, the months grow cold,

Max is cheerful once more.

An in-door snowman, a wondrous sight,

So far from the Dachau shore.

Yet, then comes a time,

When Max must run,

Though he is innocent of any crime,

Leaving behind "The Standover Man" and a rope to a dripping sun.

Sooo, take in mind that I am 13 years old and I was forced to write this as a component of a 7-project end-of-the-year big project. Anyways, rate the poem!

I think that it's really good, nice flow and rhythm and also good rhyming. Just this stanza:

Yet, then comes a time,

When Max must run,

Though he is innocent of any crime,

Leaving behind "The Standover Man" and a rope to a dripping sun.

All your other stanzas have lines two and four rhyming, whether this stanza has 1 and 3 as well as two and four. :woot:

oh oops I didn't mean to rhyme in 1 and 3! I didn't realize I had time and crime at the end of a line!

Thanks for the comments, everyone!

how's it a cliche? It's a better choice of words for a poem than something like "extremely quiet". It shows that you know how to use it correctly.

oh oops I didn't mean to rhyme in 1 and 3! I didn't realize I had time and crime at the end of a line!

Thanks for the comments, everyone!

Well, it's a good rhyme. :woot: I'm not a good poet as well so I can't offer good constructive criticism, but line Cornflakes said, "You can't rate art."

:woot:

For a 13 year old, this is really good. You used really complex vocabulary and its ambiguous enough to be interesting even though I haven't read the book.

My one criticism is with the punctuation- the commas at the end of every line. It's disruptive to the flow in this particular poem, since you are using punctuation as it is intended (the poem reads like a sentence or story, broken into lines) but then you are also finishing every line with a comma. The commas mean different things in the poem and it doesn't really work, imo. Any lines where a comma wouldn't go in a sentance, I think it would be better left blank.

I'm not like a grammar nazi or anything; I just studied poetry in high school/first year uni. just trying to offer something that will help you make the next poem even better ^_^

You have done a completely beautiful job. I absolutely admire poets and poems.

This poem is really descent. Though I can't say anything more about it, as I don't much of know about poems.