Premium

dasbif

I opted to pay by yearly subscription. It's a better deal, and I hate having recurring charges. The way I see it, paying the yearly fee is the same a buying a video game, only I'm sure that it's a game that I like and will play almost every day. When I think about how much I paid for Super Mario 3 or Zelda: A Link to the Past way back in the day, $70 yearly doesn't seem so bad to me.

• 2 weeks later...

I use ad-blocker on Firefox and it blocks everything. I forgot until I used Safari (which I've done a couple of times), and then there were a zillion ads everywhere and it drove me nuts.

The SSW is the only reason I think I would want premium. It does sound pretty awesome.

I don't want to have to deal with canceling payments if I start though. It sounds too difficult.

This. The ad-blocker I use is somehow super-thorough, and so I see absolutely nothing--not even those black rectangles that say "advertisement" on them that usually show up on the edge of the banners.

I think the only thing attracting me to premium right now is the fact that I would scour the SSW for ridiculously low-priced items and then re-sell them to make a profit. And although I'd be saving money in the world of Neopia, I would still be losing $8 a month (and it would probably be slightly more in CAD) in the real world.

That's something I just can't bring myself to do. Paying actual money for something that isn't "real" is something I can't get over. I can easily just play KQ and sell the codestones I get to easily make 10K a day, not to mention if I played all the games in TDN's guide up to 3K, I would be rolling in NP. I just don't have the time for that right now. And when I do, I can make NP--it's that simple, IMO anyway. Just my thoughts on what works for me atm.

This. The ad-blocker I use is somehow super-thorough, and so I see absolutely nothing--not even those black rectangles that say "advertisement" on them that usually show up on the edge of the banners.

I think the only thing attracting me to premium right now is the fact that I would scour the SSW for ridiculously low-priced items and then re-sell them to make a profit. And although I'd be saving money in the world of Neopia, I would still be losing $8 a month (and it would probably be slightly more in CAD) in the real world.

That's something I just can't bring myself to do. Paying actual money for something that isn't "real" is something I can't get over. I can easily just play KQ and sell the codestones I get to easily make 10K a day, not to mention if I played all the games in TDN's guide up to 3K, I would be rolling in NP. I just don't have the time for that right now. And when I do, I can make NP--it's that simple, IMO anyway. Just my thoughts on what works for me atm.

That is so true! I mean, you can get the same amount of np that you could get with Premium with just a little effort! And I totally agree with the statement "paying real money for something that isnt 'real.'" I dont know how people bring themselves to buy it!

Paying actual money for something that isn't "real" is something I can't get over.

That's the hard part for me too. I'm not sure I could get over it either.

That's something I just can't bring myself to do. Paying actual money for something that isn't "real" is something I can't get over.

You're not exactly paying for something that isn't real. You're paying for a video game. I could just as easily go to EB Games, HMV, Zellers, Blockbuster, Steam, or any other place that sells games and spend more than $8 per month, buying console or computer games. It makes me cringe thinking about how much money I have spent on buying other video games, in the past, only to not really play them or enjoy them. At least I know that I'm going to have fun playing Neo every day. I don't at all regret buying myself a year of Premium.

If you go on Neopets basically every day, I'd say it's worth it. I absolutely loved premium while I had it. Of course, like many other said, FF add-ons can block absolutely every advertisement.

The SSW really is an excellent tool, and might be worth the price of premium for some users. And if you like supporting your favorite website, it's better than paying for NeoCash, anyways. But right now, I feel that premium won't be worth it to me. Maybe I'll get it again someday!

That "paying actual money for something that isn't real" quote is really irritating. You're not paying for some imaginary thing you can't see or use. It's something some people are going to find helpful/fun. Let people pay for the things they're going to enjoy.

I think premium is pretty good, but I wish they would add a bit more stuff. I don't know what, but something that would make the cost more worth it?... Maybe I just don't play neopets enough for it to make a big difference for me.

Yeah, weekly scratchcards and random events just doesn't really seem to make it worth the $8 a month. The email is pretty cool, though.

Just one or two new features would probably convince me. Have they really even added anything since premium was first released?

I had it a long time ago, when it first came out and it was a little buggy. I didn't really have to cancel, mainly because the card I was using to pay for it expired right around the time I ended up quitting for a while.

One perk is that once you unlock the Space Faerie site theme (assuming you can still get it), you don't get the ads as long as you have it on, even if you do not have the premium service anymore.

Yeah, weekly scratchcards and random events just doesn't really seem to make it worth the $8 a month. The email is pretty cool, though.

Just one or two new features would probably convince me. Have they really even added anything since premium was first released?

I also wish that they would add more features to Premium. It needs some serious modernization. Their major features, like the Portal and an email account are soooo outdated! Yeah, those would have been really cool features in 2001, when they would have been in competition with AOL, but now it's just kind of passé and lame.

i like what that poster said about premium basically being nothing more than a game you buy like a playstation game. HOWEVER - i understand the point. although you're paying for entertainment, especially if you pay yearly and stuff it may appear a bit much especially if (like me) the only reason you're considering it is becuase of the SSW.. im still torn :S

There would seriously be a ton more people paying for premium if they added a few new features. What sort of things do you all think they should add?

I guess it's about time to go bug them with submissions to the editorial!