Smile

Oi, I start too many topics here. XD

So there is this project on deviantART that my friend is trying to get momentum on. It's a great and inspiring project.

Everyone who is tagged draws a picture of themselves or their OC with a sign that lists all the things wrong in their life. But they have to be smiling.

So here's my submission: >>>>>>>>>>>>>Smile<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

It took around 5 or so hours. I used GIMP. I know that the nose is kind of weird. It's bugging me; I may go back and fix it later.

This is the project page: Smile No Matter What HomePage

Join it if you can. :)

ANYWAY. THE WHOLE POINT OF THIS IS TO SEE WHAT PEOPLE THINK OF MY ART.

Guess I mislead you guys.

Oh noes, I have a dA now... and that means I have to do it. D: (Well, even if I don't HAVE to, I'm doing it anyway)

I'll make one, I don't know how long it'll take, but I'll post the link here when I'm finished. I should be finished by the end of the weekend (and that's allowing procrastinating :P)

Well deviantart's not just for people who draw. It's also for writers, photographers, designers etc.

and some people join just to fav things and yea..

And that project thing looks interesting. I would join, but I'm too lazy to. xP

lol ! :) thanks guys. that actually really helped, Im not a great drawing person but I do like to write.. and im really big on photography!

what do you guys do on there? (whats your specialty)

Ah I think the part about the first post being misleading was correct. My first impression was that the topic is on promoting the smilenomatterwhat idea... -.-. Glad to see that you've changed it to be about getting criticisms.

Back to the topic:

I think her fingers look a tad too stiff, especially the hand on the right. I don't know, but for me, whenever I hold something, I don't usually hold it with my fingers in that position... (It might just be me so heck.) I do like her expression though; did you spend a fair bit of time on her lips? And I have to agree that the nose looks a tad weird but I don't blame you, for drawing noses via watercolour is a pain in the neck... I do give you credit for shading and lighting, even on the hood (I am never too good with adding those on black items.)

As for the background, the sun's mighty cute. The grass looks a tad underdone as compared to the rest of the picture, almost like you kinda rushed it or something. I shan't lecture you on how to draw grass (I'm sure you can do it much better than me XD) but if you want tutorials, I can dig up some my friend sent me :D!

Overall, I like the feel! It's nice to see how you've managed to do all that on one layer. That'd have been impossible for me since I don't use the brushes at full opacity and the colours'll overlap... Keep smiling :)

p/s: Hope I don't sound like an old grandma... @_@

As celticheavens mentioned, her fingers are too straight and the way she's holding that sign would be very uncomfortable. I actually tried to hold something the way she does in the picture and it's possible... just not the best or most natural was to hold something. When you're going to draw hands I suggest that you look for reference pictures or just look at your own hands. Your hands are always attatched to you, so if you're ever confused or unsure about how to draw the hand look at yours! For practice you could pick up random objects around the room and pay attention to how you're holding it. Then you can also practice drawing hands picking up/ interacting with different things. Hands are just as important as everything else you draw. They just tend to be a real pain. I found this tutorial to be very helpful. Check it out!

Also her hands are teeny tiny. Hands should be about as long as your face... I think maybe. tbh I'm not 100% sure about this. That's about how big my hands are but it can be different depending on the person.

On your specific hands on this picture her fingers look weird because nobodys fingers are that straight ever. I wont go into detail though because boo at perspective and hands I'm terrible and don't know anything bout that.

The shading honestly... I don't really see any. The shading I do see looks very messy/looks like you used the smudge tool for it. Did you? I don't use or know much about Gimp, but I'm almost 100% positive that program has the pen and watercolor tool. Those tools are a lot more useful imo. Her neck and some of her face still have some blue on it. She is transparent in some places. A good way to keep that from happening is to block in colors with the pen tool and use the watercolor for shading ontop of those blocks of color.

Since the sun is on the right then that's the light source. It should be casting light mainly on her hoodie. Since she has the hood up the hood should be casting some sort of shadow on her hair aswell.

THIS TUTORIAL. It explains shading and colors a lot more clearly.

The hood part of the hoodie doesn't have much shape. It looks more blob..y. Here are some pictures of people in hoodies.

Pictures and real life are awesome to reference from. If there's anything you're stuck on or don't know how to draw look it up. And never be sad if you don't get it the first time! We also learn from our mistakes. Good Luck! and if whatever I said wasn't very helpful, I hope to find the tutorials and links useful! :^)

Celticheavens: Actually no, lips I spent probably the least amount of time on. Yeah, noses are a pain for em to draw.

Really? The hood has lighting? I just colored it in. XD And yeah, I did rush the grass. My mom was nagging at me. And I've seen plenty of grass tutorials, but thanks anyway. :D

Linda: I used that color for my nose because that's basically what color my nose is. But yeah, shading is needed there. But I didn't want to waste time on that.

Luciana: That's how I hold things though, and since this is supposed to be me, that's what I used. And of course I use references. I have been for years.

Kay that's not blue. She's not transparent. I did not do the background first. And yeah, the shading is non-exsistant because it's just a little picture for a fun little project.

And the sun is just there for smiley effect. It was added last minute. It's not meant to be seen as a light-source.