Midterms Elections

Chipmonker

US Announcement - Required for US citizens by His Imperial Majesty Emperor Chipmonker I

The US midterm elections will be held on Tuesday, November 7, 2006. That means ALL US 18-year old + citizens will be voting - or else. (And hopefully for the GOP. :whistle:)

Positions being voted upon -

All 435 seats in the United States H.O.R.

33 / 100 US State Senators

36 / 50 State Governors

Numerous State / Local Officials

------------------------------------------------------

Debate / Discussion

This discussion we can be discussing (heh)

• The Importance of Voting
  • Voting Turnout - (What affects it?)
  • How can your country / other countries raise their %?
  • ^ Is it important to have a high turnout?
  • Should Voting be Required by state?
  • Anything to do with voting.

Voting Stats

Country - # Elections since 1945 - Vote percentage since '45

Italy (14) 92.5

United Kingdom (15) 74.9

Japan (21) 69.0

Canada (17) 68.4

France (15) 67.3

India (12) 60.7

USA (26) 48.3

from http://www.idea.int/vt/survey/voter_turnout_pop2.cfm . The page has more specific stats.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/44/Turnout.png -- Picture format of ^

------------------------------------------------------

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Importance of Voting << because one vote makes a difference on what the country's future will be.

How can your country / other countries raise their %? I would say, instead of confusing people by bashing other parties. Each party should make an official commercial campaign where they say what they promise to do and how. Because if all they do is bash, they will only have a negative effect on people.

^ Is it important to have a high turnout? I think so, because then you will know that people do want a change.

Should Voting be Required by state? Yes, because I'm sure every single one of us have an opinion and want a change for the best. By just participating, you're doing something.

Ah,I remember one South Park episode that revolved around voting.That one actually had some meaning and moral to it's stupidity.

Basically,you're always either voting for a turd,or a doushebag..

Most of us are lucky enough to live in liberal democracys, in which all citizens have a voice in shaping policy. Therefore I think, (and not going into much detail) Apathy = Bad. Voting = Good. Campaigning/Debating/Dicussing = Better. Running for elections = Best.

How can your country / other countries raise their %? I would say, instead of confusing people by bashing other parties. Each party should make an official commercial campaign where they say what they promise to do and how. Because if all they do is bash, they will only have a negative effect on people.

I agree and disagree a bit with you there. I agree the bashing scares people away from voting and manifests itself in ways like confuciousnz posted. But I do think it is a necessary evil. People are so different that they need to express it and have it that way (and also have power), even if they have to do it in a underhand way. However, bashing keeps different bodies in check with each other. And yes, there is a fine line as where it goes to far.

Should voting be required by state? Yes. Everyone will express what they think. Whether that is good to have idiot 18 yr olds voting is up there, but everyone should be involved.

State? USA states or what?

In this context, "a : a politically organized body of people usually occupying a definite territory; especially : one that is sovereign b : the political organization of such a body of people" -- Webster's

For example; Spain, France, India, and Japan are states. I guess I should have made it clearer by calling it a "political state." You can call them "countries" too, but then it gets kind off confusing and it isn't the proper term. (I know x_x properness)

Edit: Geez just disobey all the laws of grammar! I really was smoking pretty colors when I wrote this.

No, voting should not be required. I encourage everyone to vote (if they can legally), but making voting a requirement will just cause people who don't want to vote to vote randomly, and then you may have an idiot (or worse) running the country.

Besides, people will just circumvent the law by not registering to vote. All voter turnout stats are only based on those who have registered.

How would the government enforce a law like this?

/me gives Lutarist Jake a cookie ^_^

No, voting should not be required. I encourage everyone to vote (if they can legally), but making voting a requirement will just cause people who don't want to vote to vote randomly, and then you may have an idiot (or worse) running the country.

Besides, people will just circumvent the law by not registering to vote. All voter turnout stats are only based on those who have registered.

How would the government enforce a law like this?

#1 - Make an option on the ballot for abstaining from the vote.

#2 - Everyone pays taxes, the government has your name. Also everyone has a SS number. Then make it so every polling place has a registeration / sign-in.

#3 - Enforce the law by encouraging people to vote. (i.e. tax break or whatnot) Or have a lax punishment (i.e. + $20 to property/income/whatnot)

/me gives Lutarist Jake a cookie ^_^

#1 - Make an option on the ballot for abstaining from the vote.

#2 - Everyone pays taxes, the government has your name. Also everyone has a SS number. Then make it so every polling place has a registeration / sign-in.

#3 - Enforce the law by encouraging people to vote. (i.e. tax break or whatnot) Or have a lax punishment (i.e. + $20 to property/income/whatnot)

If you're going to abstain, what's the point of voting?

Not everyone pays taxes: the illegals and the homeless don't. Do we exclude them?

If I really didn't want to vote, I wouldn't care about paying twenty dollars more.

Jeez,can't we all get along by booting Bush?

No, because the prez election isn't for another two years, and then Bush has to leave anyway. If you're talking about impeachment, "we" cannot get along because "we" have no say in the matter; its all up to congress.

Even if Bush was up for reelection, you couldn't vote him out anyway.

The importance of voting: Well considering that the next generation (mine) is going to be inheireting this lovely country (I fear for everyone), I would say voting is rather important. If those of us who will soon be taking a step out into the real world, or have one foot out there already are not electing people to represent our ideas, how will we get anything done? Voting now would be just a little more important than deciding what pretty face we are putting up for foreign relations of our country. We need to vote representatives of us, not of our grandparents.

I am sad to say I am missing this vote because I was born 4 months too late.

If you're going to abstain, what's the point of voting?

Presenting everyone the incentive to vote and the preventative of being taxed.

Not everyone pays taxes: the illegals and the homeless don't. Do we exclude them?

Homeless: Most everyone has a birth certificate and medical records. Probably all (99.9%) have a SS number (to get money / food stamps). And not to mention the numerous humanitarian services and cities/towns/counties that have records.

Illegals -- Illegals.

If I really didn't want to vote, I wouldn't care about paying twenty dollars more.

You take apathy to a WHOLE new level.

(BTW, don't get too PO-ed here. I'm playing the antagonist.)

I say no vote is better than an uneducated or pressured/"just because" vote. Hence why on most issues I don't vote. If I don't feel I have a full understanding or if I dislike both/all candidates, I would rather just not vote. Then no matter what happens, I didn't put that person in office.

And I don't think it's fair to say everyone has to vote or they should be taxed or otherwise "punished". Everyone has the right to vote, whether or not they choose to exercise that right is their own choice, not anyone else's, and especially not anyone else's when they're trying to get the other person to vote just to vote for their favorite party (as at my school. I have seen so many people going door-to-door in the dormitories asking people who don't want to vote or are undecided to mindlessly vote democrat/republican. It's ridiculous).

Basically, if I think it's important I will vote (as with the upcoming vote on a possible gay marriage/civil union ban), but if I think both/all candidates are idiots or won't change anything for the better (as with the last presidential election), then I won't.

Radiance, you can't just say he sucks because thats your opinion. You need REASONS - hence debate.

Bush isn't an awful guy. I know you are all smart, but you really don't know much of the political world, you're too young. Politics is filled with deceit, lying and hate. Bush is actually a good person in politics, and he is doing an average job of running our country. If he was actually doing bad, I can assure you that he would be booted by Congress.

Also - the war. Soldiers sign up to fight in wars. There hasn't been multiple U.S. troop deaths up until now. We are doing fine, but the civil war between two Muslim groups, the Shia (or Shi'ites) and the Sunni, has been affecting our liberation war. BUT NOW BUSH IS TAKING THEM OUT. When things get bad he knows what to do. He isn't keeping them in there, Congress is discussing removing troops, so they should be out of there in a relatively short time.

Anyways, on voting: Everyone should vote if you can! The country is YOURS (figuratively) and you need to decide who can be a good leader. It takes FIVE MINUTES of your day and, BAM!, you're done. How lazy can you be not to vote?

This year is George bushes last year right? i hope so, he sucks being leader.

Nope, two more years.

November 2, 2008 - Gen. Elections for next president

December 25 (?), 2008 - Electoral votes cast

January 6, 2009 - Electoral votes counted

January 20, 2005 at Noon - New Pres. & New VP

At that, lets end any discussion on Bush. He's not going this time, and when the presedential elections next come round - as stated by Chipmonker - he has to go anyway.

So, please keep to the debate limits put forth by Chipmonker. The debate is about voting, whether you should, and if Chipmonker wishes to expand the debate into other areas, he may do so at his own discretion.

Please, no more ramblings about Bush. It's not his job you're voting on yet.

TDN Staff

Voting is probably the most important thing someone can do! I'm too young, but people should always vote because it is for the good of the country!

By the way, why cant children like me vote??

I say CHILDREN FOR THE VOTE!!!

Because, we are not as well educated and do not understand as much as MOST adults do. MOST. *Ever heard the song Stupid Girls?*

I hate going off-topic, but that's a great song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53YIGn32JrQ

It'll make you think, definately.

Anyway, the child vote thing is such a big discussion - create a new topic :)

Yay! Someone else likes it!!!! (Oops...let's get back to topic...))

That would make a great topic.....