Don't click the PM from Iceox

hrtbrk

First of all, regular mods don't have the power to do that. That's something you have to take up with Ian.

Second, it's not fair to other users to impose a post requirement in order to send a PM. If you get a message from a new user, always be suspicious and don't take it at face value. Forward any suspicious PMs to a moderator and we'll take care of it.

I knew that regular mods don't have the power to do that.

Maybe I should have said "Ian" but that's not the point, Maruto.

I don't care who does it, I just think it would be a good suggestion.

I'd give up my privilege to use PMs to save those who are getting key logged on this site from PMs.

I'll go ahead and take it up with Ian. Thanks.

Yeah, 25 would be good. I got a PM too, but I had already known about this. Thanks for the heads up. :D

A keylogger is somebody who grabs your cookies and takes your account and passwords, and can also monitor where you go in the future (internet wise)

Sure you can. It's just a program that got on your computer. One way to remove it is for example try to set your computer back in time(or whatever that's called in english)

Edit: It's called system restore. Thanks onime_no_kai! :D

Sure you can. It's just a program that got on your computer. One way to remove it is for example try to set your computer back in time(or whatever that's called in english)

I *think* you're referring to a System Restore. :) That works fine as long as you're sure the last restore point was done before you got infected by the virus/KL/malware/etc.; some of them can be quite tricky to detect right away, so if the restore point is really recent you may want to be wary. Or, if you have the tools to do so and are really concerned, you can reimage (it's a HUGE pain in the rear, but it certainly makes sure the thing is gone for good -- it's what I ended up doing when my comp was infected.) Good AV programs are also a must; not sure what the awesome computer-smart peeps here at TDN would recommend, but after my debacle in March, a friend who works at our uni's helpdesk suggested MalwareBytes Anti-Malware and I have been extremely happy with it (and it's free! There's one you can pay for that has more options, but the free version still works quite well. You have to update it manually, but there's generally at least some update to it every single day, so I usually update it and then set it to scan right before I go to bed.) Spybot S&D is also an excellent free program, though I think most people know about that one already.

Also, as a general side note: keep in mind, CGer's are NOT the same thing as Keyloggers. Both can be extremely destructive, but generally Keyloggers are MUCH worse than CGer's. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm confused, but as I understand it: CGer's are a one-time transfer of information that happens when you go to an area that has the malicious script (person on the other end gets the info from any active cookies); whereas Keyloggers actually infiltrate your computer and send a constant stream of info until you find and remove them (everything you type on the keyboard can be seen by the person on the other end, but I don't believe they get at info stored in cookies, they just get your password when you type it in.) CGer's are what's causing trouble on Neo right now; AFAIK there've never been Keyloggers on the site or even in the malicious offsite links. I originally thought I lost my account due to a KL because the thief had my PIN and got into my email; but it's more likely that it was one of the on-site CG'ers and I was just extremely unfortunate that it got me during one of the rare times I left my email logged in. I *did* have something extremely nasty on my comp at the same time that very well could have been a KL, but I now think it was unrelated and was just a coincidence that it was at the same time (that was a super-fun spring break, I tell you what. <_<) At any rate, if you take all precautions: use FF with AdBlock/NoScript, or otherwise the safest browser you can get your hands on; have a good AV (or two) working and updated always; use passwords that are hard to crack and don't use the same password for different things; and never click any links that seem odd (always hovering over to see where they go first), then you've probably done all you can and it's not worth getting too freaked out -- IMHO, if you let the fear of CGer's keep you from doing things or having any fun on Neo (or anywhere else on the intarwebz for that matter), then they still win. Why give them that kind of power? ;)