Bad Haze in Southeast Asia

Clara Chong Lee

Forest fires from various parts of Indonesia has left surrounding countries like Malaysia and Singapore swamped in Haze. There was once as many as 146 hotspots in the area. The forest fires were partly caused by dry weather but it is worsened when large plantations chose to burn the forst to clear land for agriculture instead of cutting down the trees manually (to save cost)

This is not the first time such incident has occured, and the Indonesian government doesn't seem to be doing anything substancial about it. In fact, the haze this year is much worse than the one which occured years ago. Even my throat is feeling dry and I smell smoke in the air most of the time!

Is there nothing that can be done to stop this?

Well the government and the rest of the world can unite to help with the money and first aid. But they have to wait until things settle down with the fires so that they can have access to help others. It's not really easy under those circumstances. If they let other countries help, I will send some donations XD.

Well the government and the rest of the world can unite to help with the money and first aid. But they have to wait until things settle down with the fires so that they can have access to help others. It's not really easy under those circumstances. If they let other countries help, I will send some donations XD.

The BIG PROBLEM with Indonesia is the corruption they have over there. I've lived there before so I know. For example someone gives Indonesia a huge sum of money to aid its people. By the time the money reached the people, a lot would have been taken away by corrupted officials. That's what I experiences when I was there.

Guest �strophysicist

Could El Nino be the cause of the dry weather? There are currently signs of El Nino's return, this will effect weather on a GLOBAL scale.

The BIG PROBLEM with Indonesia is the corruption they have over there. I've lived there before so I know. For example someone gives Indonesia a huge sum of money to aid its people. By the time the money reached the people, a lot would have been taken away by corrupted officials. That's what I experiences when I was there.

That sounds like what happens in the really tribal places of Africa or the areas of AIDS. One day, there is a clean toilet facility, the next is is smashed and taken apart by people.

Forest fires from various parts of Indonesia has left surrounding countries like Malaysia and Singapore swamped in Haze. There was once as many as 146 hotspots in the area. The forest fires were partly caused by dry weather but it is worsened when large plantations chose to burn the forst to clear land for agriculture instead of cutting down the trees manually (to save cost)

This is not the first time such incident has occured, and the Indonesian government doesn't seem to be doing anything substancial about it. In fact, the haze this year is much worse than the one which occured years ago. Even my throat is feeling dry and I smell smoke in the air most of the time!

Is there nothing that can be done to stop this?

I know what you mean, living in Singapore too, this is getting unbearable. I heard that one of the people who was allowing this to happen due to him getting paid was leaving his home one day not so long ago, and a protestor got out a smoke machine and turned it into his face :O , probably to try and give him some of his own back or something...

Forest fires happen all over the mid-west in the US. Some of the time the fires are caused by drought and lighning, but other times it's because some idiot didn't put out his cigarette.

After 9/11, New York City was covered in dust, etc., and even a month later you could still see a light grey layer of dust everywhere and when you breathed in you could kind of "smell" the dust. Anyway, there's a haze in NYC all the time because it's so polluted, but I don't think it's nearly as bad as what you guys in Singapore and Malaysia have to breathe in.

I live out in the country in North Carolina, so there's almost no pollution out here except for the furniture factories and cars. And you can see the stars at night. :laughingsmiley:

Mines? What kind of mines? Gold? Coal?

Dunno what kind of mines, but I know that the factories are a big part of pollution in China. I mean, almost everything has a "Made in China" sticker on it.

In the winter time, there's tons of wood smoke in the air here in NC because lots of people have wood-burning ovens. In fact, a few of my friends have wood burning stoves...hickory smells really good.