Overpriced items

When looking for a specific item on the SW or the TP I always shop around. When I price items I plan to sell I try to find out what everyone else is selling their item for so I don't get ripped off, or overprice an item. However I noticed when I look for specific items on the trading post some people want a ridiculous amount of money for a single item. For example, I've been pricing around for Lutari Beads and some people have a single bead up for 2 million, even though the exact same type of bead for about 100K.

Another example was when I was looking around for ITTPD items, mainly bone sceptres as they have an estimated worth of about 64K, but you can get them in shops for about 200 NP, but people still try to sell the item for about 65K and then leave the message, "Don't try to rip me off, I know what it's worth!"

Umm...obviously you don't. Now I expect this behavior from a newbie as you'd think the estimated worth of an object is actually what it sells for, but when you've been hanging around neopets for 5 years you know better. The only reason I can think neopians with that much experience on neopets would price items like that would be to trap a newbie into buying something waayyyy overpriced.

Isn't that just wrong? Have you ever noticed people who have been on neopets for a long time doing that?

This goes back to that thread we were all debating in when that cuttie girl was advertising her shop..

To me (and this is NOT everyone, I know! Just MY opinion!), I think it's wrong and I wish people would stop doing it. They are just trying to make a quick buck and rip everyone off.

That being said I will NEVER EVER EVER EVER be someone that does this, I have too high of standards. :P

It's not up to the seller to shop around, it's up to the consumer. If I put something in my shop for 50K, and you find it elsewhere for 250NP, it's my loss. It's not up to sellers to make sure YOU get the best deal, it's up to YOU.

This goes back to that thread we were all debating in when that cuttie girl was advertising her shop..

To me (and this is NOT everyone, I know! Just MY opinion!), I think it's wrong and I wish people would stop doing it. They are just trying to make a quick buck and rip everyone off.

That being said I will NEVER EVER EVER EVER be someone that does this, I have too high of standards. :P

Mmm...bu cuttie girl i think you mean the Maller who was advertising some timeback. Well to be sure, thats how she's ever going to make money-by overpricing, its another form of money making tactic, so whether you like it or not, it really isnt called "ripping" since there is no ill intent going into it at all.

Deliberately pricing higher on the TP than others is frowned upon...but then, just as we consumers want a good deal where we get an item at less then the normal price, these people hope to get a consumer who buys at a higher price. Dont be too pent up about it, just how the world works.

In general, I've noticed a lot of sellers being very rude to potential customers. There was one girl trying to hawk Lutari Beads by running a monopoly, and you could tell in the way she talked in her trade wishlist and on her profile that she was very self-centered. Other folks will give these nasty "n00b offers will rot!" and "Don't give me junk trades" as though they're belittling those who might be interested in their wares. And yes, some of these folks overcharge, not realizing the real price or just being mean moneygrubbing people. In general, I ignore these folks entirely. Buying from them just reinforces that bad behavior, and sending them a nasty Neomail reinforces that unforgiving temperment of theirs. Best to hope they come to their senses on their own.

Mmm...bu cuttie girl i think you mean the Maller who was advertising some timeback. Well to be sure, thats how she's ever going to make money-by overpricing, its another form of money making tactic, so whether you like it or not, it really isnt called "ripping" since there is no ill intent going into it at all.

Deliberately pricing higher on the TP than others is frowned upon...but then, just as we consumers want a good deal where we get an item at less then the normal price, these people hope to get a consumer who buys at a higher price. Dont be too pent up about it, just how the world works.

Yup, malling is just another way to make some cash. It's basically a bunch of stuff together, so you don't have to constantly use the SW. The extra cost comes from the conveniency, not by ripping others off.

In general, I've noticed a lot of sellers being very rude to potential customers. There was one girl trying to hawk Lutari Beads by running a monopoly, and you could tell in the way she talked in her trade wishlist and on her profile that she was very self-centered. Other folks will give these nasty "n00b offers will rot!" and "Don't give me junk trades" as though they're belittling those who might be interested in their wares. And yes, some of these folks overcharge, not realizing the real price or just being mean moneygrubbing people. In general, I ignore these folks entirely. Buying from them just reinforces that bad behavior, and sending them a nasty Neomail reinforces that unforgiving temperment of theirs. Best to hope they come to their senses on their own.

I understand though why someone would say something like that. It's annoying, because sometimes you have something of decent value you want to sell (like for me it was a Lupe Trans Potion worth 300k) and you'd have people offering 20 NP or so for it.

i dont know if its just an innocent mistake, but this has happened to me quite a lot. i put up a lot for 200000 , for instance. I then get an offer on it for 20000. If you're not really careful you just might accept that and not realise that one of the zeroes is actually missing!!

like mimi, i dont think its fair that people overprice and overcharge newbies, even though it IS the newbie's interest to shop around. I just think that is a game after all, so we should let everyone else enjoy it. Apart from that.. wouldnt you feel bad after cheating?

I dont tyhink that those rippers will even FEEL anything. bUt seriously, the only thing that we can do is ignor e such people and try counting the zeros :D.

Yes..it all goes down to the shopper..you just need to search a little more..a few minutes and you'll know the price for an item.The bad stuff is when you have a very very rare item with a few or only one seller on tp and then you can't really know for sure how much it costs...so i have to google it and search on other sites.

i dont know if its just an innocent mistake, but this has happened to me quite a lot. i put up a lot for 200000 , for instance. I then get an offer on it for 20000. If you're not really careful you just might accept that and not realise that one of the zeroes is actually missing!!

I know! I had a trade up for 160k and someone offered me 160 np for it. I'm not sure if the person was new or trying to scam me.

Or there's the snipers-about 10 of them put up low offers within the first minute that I put the trade up.

Well you guys that's your opinion and my opinion is that it's ripping people off. Like I said though it is solely MY opinion so please don't tell me I am wrong or anything. :) I respect all of your opinions even if I don't agree with them, hehe!

I agree. I hate when people overprice their items. It's so mean. I mean, if you put an item that's obviously 1 NP (let's say Tombola Visor) and then put it for 99,999 NP in your shop that would be known as overpricing unless you put like a notice saying that it was just help for a donation to that person's gallery, and they acknowledge the overpricing of the item.

I know that it IS up to the shopper to price around, I always do, however it is just so bothersome to see pointless trades cluttering up the TP page. I mean seriously, yesterday I saw someone put up a single bottle of orange sand and you want to know what they put up for the price.?

"Baby Paint Brush, NO LESS!!!" I mean come on, nobody sane would give you a baby paint brush for something you could find for 1 np, it being on the page for people to see is just a waste of time, and for the person putting it there a waste of effort. Even if it was for a donation, you could put up other things to save up for the paint brush, not something completely pointless like a bottle of orange sand...

True...but I almost bought a Baby Paint Brush PLUSHIE for 600,000. People seriously try to trick people like that. *shakes head in sadness*

I've seen many people on Neo, who overprice items. And when I was a newbie, this is my second time at neo, I got ripped off several times. Now I know better. When I'm restocking, I check prices with the SW or SSW. Sometimes I price the items from 5-3000 NP lower than SW/SSW (it depends on what kind of item it is and how expensive they are). I think it's better to lose some NP than overprice. But sometimes, my items are overpriced, and then it's 'coz I can't find the price or it's a glitch from my side.

Yeah, sometimes we can't help it when we overprice. If an item is not selling in your shop though, it's probably overpriced. I leave it hanging for 2 hours and if it's still not gone, I check on the Shop Wizard, and wouldn't you know it? Somebody is selling for 2,000 less then NORMAL, (I didn't overprice) and they had a stock of like 100, so no wonder nobody was going to my shop! I quickly repriced and everything was fine. :)

I'm thinking that if people overprice their items, it's their loss... (Too many people to quote :cowboy: )... Besides, if you are overpricing items, you'll just get less people coming to your shop and then less NP earned then less, NP to buy more items (even though you already have a lot), then less items to sell....

Don't take that path above! Don't overprice things.. .