FREE Technical Support for Virus Issues by Microsoft

Daily Dare

As some of you know, I work as a Microsoft Customer Service Representative. My role is to inform customers of their support options. When it comes to virus/hacks/malware, I always advise customers that Microsoft always offers FREE support with malware related issues.

Question: Do you think that you're infected with malware?

Answer: Yes, I sure do.

Solution: Run a free scan with Microsoft OneCare at www.safety.live.com, it's a free trial. Make sure you have turned off the virus detector(s) that you may have installed on your computer. Once done that, write down (or screenshot) the names of the viruses that were found. Next, all you have to do is call Microsoft Customers Service (1-800-Microsoft), once you're connected with a Customer Service Representative (CSR), tell them what Operating System you're using, and that you have the name(s) of the virus(es) that you have on your computer.

The CSR will create you a 10-digit Service Request number (or Case Number), and will transfer you right over to Microsoft's PCSafety Team.

It's as easy as that. Even if you're warranty is with the manufacturer of the computer (OEM), we offer FREE virus support. All we need is the name of the virus(es), and we will send you over to technical support.

Questions?

I tend to use the TrendMicro free scanner ontop of what the Avast that I already have installed.

But guess it's a good option for those that don't really know how to get rid of virus/malware, etc.

That's so nice of Microsoft. Despite refusing to use Windows unless there is no other option, I must applaud Microsoft for offering free virus support, which must be expensive to them to keep a virus database updated and to pay the support staff. I'll be sure to recommend this to a couple of my friends. If Microsoft only did PR on this kind of stuff rather than try to make Windows sound secure, they'd be loved a whole lot more.

P.S. Anyone happen to know why Apple doesn't do this? I think my Mac's infected.

Mac's only have a couple of virus, a PDF one and a Trojan which comes from download pirated copies of iWork '09 and other apps.

Now for Microsoft, I use Windows 7 (very good!) and as a beta-tester and security enthusiast, I pride myself on the quality of Microsoft's gradually better OS'es. I'm not gonna lie to you and tell that Vista was amazing, when it was not. Thus I made the change to W7 when build 7000 came out, and never changed back to Vista. :P

Anyways, I'm glad that Microsoft offers such good assistance for their OS and security. It's a shame that in Portugal we don't have the same level of support, but at least I know that I'm protected with my AV and security suite, ESET 4. :)

With Windows 7, the BETA will stop working in August sometime, just so you know.

As for Vista; I rather like it. I took away all of the fancy graphics and such (so it looks like Windows 95), and runs a lot better now. The stuff that Acer pre-installed on it was junk so I also took that off. Runs much better now. :)

My main problem with Vista has been it's compatibility issues with some great free program's which either don't work properly, or don't work at all. Second biggest problem, all the bugs.

That's why I can't wait for windows 7, I'm going to put it on my computer when I finally get enough money to build it.

With Windows 7, the BETA will stop working in August sometime, just so you know.

I'm not using build 7000, the original BETA. Instead, nearly RC stage, on build 7068. :laughingsmiley: This one expires in 2009, around that. But with the RC coming in a few weeks, I'm going to migrate to that.