Earth Hour

antiaircraft

earth_hour.jpg

This year, Earth Hour has been transformed into the world’s first global election, between Earth and global warming.

For the first time in history, people of all ages, nationalities, race and background have the opportunity to use their light switch as their vote – Switching off your lights is a vote for Earth, or leaving them on is a vote for global warming. WWF are urging the world to VOTE EARTH and reach the target of 1 billion votes, which will be presented to world leaders at the Global Climate Change Conference in Copenhagen 2009.

This meeting will determine official government policies to take action against global warming, which will replace the Kyoto Protocol. It is the chance for the people of the world to make their voice heard.

Earth Hour began in Sydney in 2007, when 2.2 million homes and businesses switched off their lights for one hour. In 2008 the message had grown into a global sustainability movement, with 50 million people switching off their lights. Global landmarks such as the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco, Rome’s Colosseum, the Sydney Opera House and the Coca Cola billboard in Times Square all stood in darkness.

In 2009, Earth Hour is being taken to the next level, with the goal of 1 billion people switching off their lights as part of a global vote. Unlike any election in history, it is not about what country you’re from, but instead, what planet you’re from. VOTE EARTH is a global call to action for every individual, every business, and every community. A call to stand up and take control over the future of our planet. Over 74 countries and territories have pledged their support to VOTE EARTH during Earth Hour 2009, and this number is growing everyday.

We all have a vote, and every single vote counts. Together we can take control of the future of our planet, for future generations.

VOTE EARTH by simply switching off your lights for one hour, and join the world for Earth Hour.

Saturday, March 28, 8:30-9:30pm.

You can find out more about this at earthhour.org

Am I the only one on the entire of TDNF that's participating in this? :P

Yes, March 28 is this Saturday. :yes: So turn off your lights for an hour starting at 8:30pm! C'mon, it's not that hard! :P They're even using 8:30pm local time for everybody so you don't have to fiddle with timezones!

And I wasn't able to find a list of countries officially participating - but that doesn't really matter. This is a global statement! :D

Yay! I'm not alone! :P

And candlelight can indeed be pretty fun at times - I once spent a night studying with candlelight, but that was 'cos the power was out. xD

I'm not at home during that time so of course I will be switching off the lights that day haha..

This is a lovely idea in theory, but here's an idea, how much bees wax is being wasted on burning candles, and aren't the bees dieing out after all? Sorry, I'm just a big 'ole' pessimist. I, personally, will not likely turn off all of my lights. How ever, all the lights in my home are the super low energy ones, so they don't suck as much as a normal bulb ever does.

Ooh, Will that makes sense.

Tsaria, not everyone is burning candles. Plus, there's a good chance that those candles may have been gifts, or extras or something, and they would've never been burned otherwise, and that would be such a waste.

We are going to kill something somehow, unless we completely stop living our lives. I mean completely. And then we'd die. You can't stop it.

[/pessimist moment]

Yup, I'll be participating again :)

Instead of an hour though we have our lights off for the entire night! Makes it more fun...

I would love to see how it would look from space too... would be way cool.

That logo is actually my msn display picture at the moment XD

And we've been talking about it at school too. Will, I don't think that you would personally get recognised. Maybe the thought that you've made a difference would count ;)

Our teacher showed us this picture of earth from space (changed to the same time zone- night) and there were SO many bright lights, at particular areas. o_O

I hadn't heard of it last year, but definitely taking part :D

Well it mentioned something about a vote and I was just wondering how they were able to tally them all up.

I mean, one hour of no lights really wouldn't make a difference...

I think it could make a difference.

Just because I saw that space view. :P If a whole planet turned off their lights for an hour, that could be billions of people. I guess that's how I think XD

The vote part could be figurative language *shrug*

Well I'll be turning my lights off for an hour, besides I think I'll enjoy lighting up the house with candles for a bit, it sounds really romantic :P

I was going to do it last year but I forgot. I am plannign on it this year but I know I wont be home, I'll be at a party and I don't think they'd be turning the lights off unfortunately.

I tried to do this last year. It worked for the first 30 minutes until my parents got home and turned all the lights back on. And then got mad at me when I tried to explain the whole Earth Hour thing to them. <_<

But I'm pretty sure my parents will be gone until nine this Saturday, so I'll just have to observe my Earth Hour 30 minutes early. :)

o_O You have some stingy parents...

As for the voting, this is a volunteer thing of course, so it involves some trust. I guess it's assumed that if you've signed up to participate, you will indeed be participating.

Statistically speaking, an hour of no lights won't make that much effective difference - the point is that it shows everybody involved is willing to do their part where and when it counts. :yes: