MSN Virus

CasiCane.

Incase some of you don't know, there's a virus going around MSN/Windows Live Messenger that I just recently found out about. What happens is you get an IM from someone on your buddy list that says "foto haha :P" with a link to some image gallary that has your screenname at the end. If you ignore it it comes up again saying "good opportunity for this weekend look here" with the same link. If you click on it a window pops up asking if you want to Run or Save the program.

I've gotten those IM's from two people so far, but only the second warned me it was a virus. So just letting everybody know to be on the lookout ^_^

Ugh, I wish these people creating these things would just get a life! I mean, they could be getting good programming jobs with their knowledge but they waste it on petty IM viruses? Loserrrrs! Anywho, thanks for the heads up!

No idea. Just know that it exists lol. The person says it's just a Trojan ( O.o) and they can be pretty destructive. He doesn't know for sure though, just has a feeling about it. Either way I wouldnt' take my chances with it.

You're welcomee ^__^

Oh, I've got that from 5 people on MSN! Something about haha is this you? *insert link*

Pretty lame...

But I've also warned all my friends too ^_^

I just ignore it though, but if I get it again and again I just block the person for a while :P

I haven't got that one but I got-

Hey, been a while since I found something this awesome. It let me lose 13 pounds in two weeks and only cost me 5 bucks. Check it out here [not posting link].

Argh! Well, can I ask you guys something, since I'm not a computer techy person.

I 'accidentally' clicked on one of the links and it had that window asking whether to open it or not. I clicked 'cancel'.

But a few minutes ago my computer started getting all laggy and my msn signed out unexpectedly. When it came back online automatically my friend told me that I send another one of those supsicious links :(

So, is my computer 'infected'?

Argh! Well, can I ask you guys something, since I'm not a computer techy person.

I 'accidentally' clicked on one of the links and it had that window asking whether to open it or not. I clicked 'cancel'.

But a few minutes ago my computer started getting all laggy and my msn signed out unexpectedly. When it came back online automatically my friend told me that I send another one of those supsicious links :(

So, is my computer 'infected'?

I'm sorry, but it seems like you got it, since your account just sent the IM to your friend.

I'd suggest running a virus scan and eliminate whatever it finds.

In my past experiences with removing MSN viruses from other peoples' computers, they can be very difficult to remove. Virus scanners typically pick them up, but can't remove them because they tend to masquerade as legitimate system files. It requires finding the infected file on you hard drive (usually not in the MSN program folder), booting up in Safe Mode, and manually deleting it. It may also involve some registry editing. Reformatting your hard drive is likely easier (and possibly quicker).

Unless you know someone with expert computer skills (ie - a computer technician), you may have to look at paying someone to rid your computer of this kind of virus. Even then, you may be looking at a reformat, so make sure you back up your important files (It is very unlikely that your documents, pictures, music, and videos will be infected, so a backup should be safe.).

Also, you may want to consider using a different IM program, in the future, that is compatible with MSN accounts, such as Pidgin, Miranda, or Trillian.

Good luck freeing yourself of this virus (if you have it)! Best wishes to all.

Oh I hate this virus, I find myself asking my MSN contacts if they have really sent me anything or if their computer is infected.