Daylight Savings Time

livvy

Today is the day we change our clocks and "spring forward" (even though it's not Spring yet...) In my opinion, this tradition makes absolutely no sense. It doesn't really save daylight, it just changes the name of the current time. I think it's rather pointless. But what are your thoughts on it? And could someone explain the reason behind it?

Well when we start having the sun up at night and the moon up in the day everyone will thank Daylight Savings! Hehe Well I don't particularly care or anything to be honest, I just go with the flow. I hate the Spring one though because we lose an hour. I wasn't even aware that today was the day for that..

I LOVE Daylight Savings!!! I'm in Western Australia and we've had it in for 2 years now, we're trialling it. It's supposed to make it "lighter for longer" in the times people are actually awake. So for us in summer at the moment before daylight savings the sun was up about....5:30am until 7:30pm maybe, so now it's 6:30am to 8:30pm. It really makes no difference unless you're really against it and get cranky about it.

I just loved getting home from work at 6pm and still having a couple of hours of daylight, to me it seems like the day lasts a little longer. At the moment my partner gets home from work at 7pm and we can take our dog for a walk up until about 8:30pm when it's really dusky and a bit creepy, without daylight savings we're have to make sure we took the dog for a walk right away, so we got home before it was too dark.

It's annoying for people who like to get up and exercise first thing in the morning because it's still dark until about 6:30am, and apparently parents have trouble putting their kids to sleep? And anyone who's body actually works on the amount of daylight outside would be going to bed later and getting up later.

I don't really care, but DST has been going on for a while now, for me, and hasn't finished yet. It can be a pain waking up on the first day, and otherwise, I don't really understand it, but since I usually wake up at 5:40 in the morning to catch the train to school, it's nice to sleep for an extra hour when DST ends!