Hm... How odd.

TheUnknown

And now it's time for... "What happens when you're REALLY bored"

So... Yeah. I decided to play around with the guild calender. After seeing a few months, I thought about how far the calender goes. So, I altered the URL to make it year 3999.

... Yeah... Needless to say, it didn't work... Kinda. I'll explain later. But either way, I tried different numbers and dates to test out when and where the "glitch" works and doesn't work (the border between the two, I guess).

The border ended up on January 18, 2038.

regularlw6.jpg

As you can see, all is normal. Naturally, there are no events there.

However, upon changing to January 19, 2038...

glitchedpr0.jpg

The month on the calender switches to February, while the date changes to December 31, 1969. The dates on the calender, however, remain consistant with January's along with the day you selected being highlighted. As well, placing events on that day will not result in every day afterwards (since they all result in the same glitch) but will instead only affect that day you chose.

February 2038's calender, as expected, is also glitched. It shows 31 days. While the URL shows that you're going ahead in months (as seen in current_day=1&current_month=3&current_year=2038, showing that it's March), the calender now remains constant with "February 2038"'s schedule. As well, it keeps on showing February, despite the URL showing it's March. The year, however, DOES change, as in my first test, it showed "February 3999".

And finally, while going back through the calender, I discovered that Neopets made it that the calender goes from December to January , but not vice versa. The calender designates January as month 13 of a year if you go from December to January, but as month 1 if you go from February to January. However, you cannot go from January to December, regardless of whether it's been designated as month 1 or 13. Either way, trying to go back will result in going to month 0, which redirects you to the January of the previous year rather than the December of the previous year.

So, there you go. Useless info I found while being bored. Come to think of it, didn't some of the first accounts made on Neopets by the original TNT glitch out and say the accounts were made on 1969? :/

well, the december 31, 1969 is basically a common date parsing error. since all (or most) timestamps start from Jan 1, 1970 (aka epoch), a date like dec 31, 1969 is the result of a parsing error or invalid date, which is the literal interpretation of a timestamp of -1 (aka 1 second before epoch).

now, for the upper limit, the following excerpt from php.net should clear things up:

The number of the year, may be a two or four digit value, with values between 0-69 mapping to 2000-2069 and 70-100 to 1970-2000. On systems where time_t is a 32bit signed integer, as most common today, the valid range for year is somewhere between 1901 and 2038. However, before PHP 5.1.0 this range was limited from 1970 to 2038 on some systems (e.g. Windows).

therefore, we can rightfully assume that neopets is still running on PHP 4.. or lower.

lol. Well, I wonder if it's just a glitch (which it probably is.) I guess the neopet staff, doesn't think that we know how to time travel. =P

lol. you would think neopets would have a bigger PHP base then, right? lolz.

Well for me, if we can't go ahead from 2038 @ 2009, i'm fine with that. I don't think they have to upgrade to PHP 5 if it's absolutely not needed!

Well for me, if we can't go ahead from 2038 @ 2009, i'm fine with that. I don't think they have to upgrade to PHP 5 if it's absolutely not needed!

Lol yeah, cause you know, we all plan our guild events 30 years in advance xD

Lol yeah, cause you know, we all plan our guild events 30 years in advance xD

Yes of course, because we're awesome like that. b)