Need help with set/training

Hi guys, I need advice on some stuff and I hope you guys can help out. Firstly, I only do 1-Player battling. I also have lab ray access (and do not care about pet species). Here is my question: Is defence needed for 1-Player battling? Also, how can I upgrade my equipment (I have 1.4mil to spend currently). Thanks!

Equipment: 2x Psellias Fighting Fan, 1 Leaf Shield, 1 Snowglobe Staff, 1 Purple Sticky Hand, 1 Downsize!, 1 Greater Healing Scroll, 1 Scarab Ring

Pet Stats

Species: Lupe

Colour: Ghost

Level: 35

Health: 59 / 59

Strength: AWESOME (70)

Defence: EXCELLENT (56)

Move: GREAT (26)

Intelligence: ULTIMATE GENIUS (144)

Defense can be helpful, but your defense should last you through the DON.

I would constantly use the lab ray, and training to increase your HP though.

Weapons wise: I recommend ditching the scarab rings and Psellias Fighting Fan, and replace them with Ramtors Spellbook, Ylanas Blaster and a P-pot (Prickly potion)

Also when you get later into the DON, I definitely recommend burrow and sink (though looking at your level, you may already have them)

Thanks for the advice! It's great to hear that my pet's defence will last me through DoN because it'll save me alot of money on training. I'll probably go for Ramtors Spellbook first because of the blaster's high cost [which i think is increasing, i saw a few going for 2 mil at the trading post]. I'm not quite sure how prickly potion works though, and yes I have Sink and Burrow and they really help in battles by giving a "free turn".

Again, thanks for helping out.