The Bombs of Nagasaki

The Original Luna

I opened my eyes.

It was Dark.

It couldn't be night, I had been told by my stomach, or what could have been my stomach, earlier that it had been Noon. I got up and pushed aside the rubble that was on top of me. Why was there rubble there? It wasn't there before. My body was sore, and there were several large purple welts on my body, as if i had been caned to the extent of fainting. Eitherway, somehow I pushed it aside with my right hand. I saw that my hand wasn't there any more. Just a charred bloodied stump. I cried out alarmed, Why had this happened? Then I heard other cries for help in my own language. All shouting for help. Most of them were trapped under rubble with serious burns. Fires were roaring and spreading fast. The noise earlier had been deafening. I stumbled to my feet, I heard Michka my friend faintly calling for help. I found her hand and pushed the rubble from over her. She had lost a foot, so she lent on me as we slowly limped from the nightmare of Nagasaki. The fires burned hotter, I felt like fainting. We had to get away to somewhere else. But where else? We had heard that Hiroshima had been bombed a few days earlier, But we knew no other towns or cities.

We decided to get as far away as possible from Nagasaki, maybe to the north. But now we focused on surviving the hell-hole. As we stumbled into the one-time town centre, all we saw was burnt buildings and charcoal everywhere. I looked at the characoal briefly, there was one shaped like a man smoking a pipe. Another to the side of it was smaller, so I assumed that it was once a smaller child. Everywhere was hot and there was billowing smoke, we found our way out of there. Then I felt wet, cool spits on my forehead. Rain! Relieved, We cupped the rain in our hands, not noticing that it was black and drank. It was dirty, and hard to swallow, but it was a small relief. We sheltered under a wrecked tree, and waiting for light. Hours, later at dawn the light came. But it was a sickly light, weak and dull. The light showed what had happened. Smoke was still rising from the still smoking rubble and the sun looked sad to see what had befallen Nagasaki.

We got up slowly but jerkily.

We limped into the forest.

I heard no noise there. It was like walking into a deathly silence. No animals cried out. Only silence. A few leaves rattled. A small boy with dark hair and brown eyes with orbs bleached white and one arm loosely hanging on a hinge of skin and sinew came out, leaning on a small burnt grey dog.

"Who's there? What do you want?" he asked scared, probably worried that we were thieves.

"It's only us. Two children. We're from Nagasaki." We assured him.

The words children and Nagasaki seemed to calm the boy. The boy walked slowly forward to reach Michka 's hand.

"I'm Taan. This is Ni." said the boy.

We all walked towards wherever we were going.

The Forest thinned out, and there was a difference in disaster. There was a small smoking crater were I assumed that there had been a bomb, around it were charred burned remains of houses. We kept to the skirts of the forest & when we turned to face the forest, we wept. Then we walked on. We had to stop to rest. It was dark again and we were hungry. We had never known hunger like this before. Not Petty hunger like wanting to eat your lunch as soon as possible. But full blown starvation hunger that makes people feel faint and sick. We found a few berries but they looked poisonous. But we would have rather have risked poisoning than starvation.

It took us a week to get to the nearest unbombed town, that had a hospital. We got there, there were many bomb victims.People with no legs piled on beds. armless people waiting in cramped corners and those so badly maimed that you couldn't tell if they were still alive. We limped into town, Michka leaning on me, taan holding my hand with his remaining arm. In the town centre I saw a notice that said

America may attack

But it was too late America had attacked and left the husk of what had been Japan. I heard a man say that they did it to get us to surrender. But we were so weak, the country would have given in, but America had to destroy us.

No not destory. Annihilate.

As we waited for treatment I meditated. I wondered what was to become of us and our nation. What would happen to America's concience, And the world.

the morning came, Michka and I were treated for Gangrene in our wounds. Taan found his elder brother whilst looking for foodscraps. A once great nation dead.

One month later..

Today we buried Michka. I wept during the burial, she had been my friend since Kindergarten and now she was dead. I hoped that America was happy for all the suffering that it had caused. A new disease is rife. They call it the Atomic Plague. Many who had it are dead, and many are dying. The sufferers look alright until they get strange ulcers on their body and complain of sores. They usually died quickly of the cancers in their bodies, and the atomic plague casualties corpses piled higher. As I walked to a lonelyplace, I sat down and wept. I wept for japan. I wept for my now dead family. I wept for those i hadn't known. I wept so I wouldn't forget. I wept to remember. It was revenge that killed us.

Revenge for revenge.

Eye for eye.

Tooth for tooth.

• 3 weeks later...

*blinks* whoah. That was really good! It was well written, and stuff, and I couldn't stop reading. Kudos!