I hate to ask another question so soon, but...

Ruffian

Ok, I don't even begin to understand the directions. What is up with the Xs and Os, because as far as I can tell, there are only two wheels and one lever. The lever goes up, or the lever goes down-that's it. How can it possibly make more than a few combinations?

Also, one of the tanks was already filled when I began. Is this normal, and will it help me in any way?

Oh, and I can move freely from room to room. I don't have to wait until I finish with a room. This doesn't sound right to me, because I was able to fill the room with thee levers first, but the tank that was filled when I started, was empty when I can back to that room.

The tanks and stuff are randomly filled. Don't pay any attention to those.

See there are so many combinations because you have to get the right one with all of the levers and wheels in all three of the rooms. So it's normal that you can move freely from room to room.

Yeah that is normal like Thaladirith said...

I also found that when I did mine I just went from room to room flipping switches and turning wheels at random.

Finally got the right combination after 10 minutes or so.

Good luck with it and remember when you flood the place, your combination is reset :)

The tanks don't really matter...

Everyone has a certain combination assigned to them.

Whether the tanks and water shelves have water in them aren't of any consequence.

You just need to keep flipping switches until you get your combination. I know the TDN guide has some details on how you can use a certain way to try all the combinations, but I was lazy and it looked hard so I just went for random :)