My school speech?

Stephé

I didn't think that this should be put into the artistic writing and drawing section of forums so i put it up here. This is my speech that i wrote for this year's school speeches. It should be 3 minutes bu i still haven't timed myself yet but just wanted everyone's opinion. So here it is:

Your dream has come true. You have everything that you've always wanted. Its all taking place so fast. This can't possibly be happening. You're right. Seconds have gone by while everything closes in on you and you drift into the face of darkness. Before you know it you're back at home, conscious, awake. You've been taken to your final destination- reality. To your disappointment your moment of glory was just a dream...

Why do we have dreams? What purpose do they bring? Do we have them to experience the pleasure that we always wanted and never got? Or maybe they are terrible images that haunt you through the night in that case we call these dreams nightmares.

There have been many theories of why dreaming prevails in our sleep. But when you ask scientists or doctors if everyone dreams their answer will probably be no. While other experts aren't sure whether or not everyone dreams some people don't dream. The reason for this is because some people skip the REM rapid eye movement stage of sleep: the stage of dreaming. How is this possible? We still don't know.

However some of you may still think that who cares if we didn't have dreams. Surely it wouldn't matter...or would it? Would it impact on us in any way? Well, some discoveries were influenced by dreams. So if dreaming didn't exist we would have to hand sew for the rest of our lives because, the sewing machine was discovered by Elias Howe during a dream of his in 1845. So if Elias were alive today we should be greatly thankful that he had that one dream which eventually created a world wide industrial product that would be crucial in the design world today.

Who knew some dreams were so powerful against the real world. Not only did they create some everyday household appliance but they might of made some of the greatest decisions between life and death in history. Take Abraham Lincoln and his assasination for example. Apparently a day prior before his death he had a dream. The dream of discovering the himself, the president to have been killed. What happened the next day? He got murdered. This is also the case of saving Hitler's own life. During the first world war he had a dream of being buried under earth and hot iron. He suddenly woke up and left the trench he was hiding in. Moments later a shell hit the trench and killed everyone who was still in there.

Could this be a coincidence or can dreams really tell the future? There still isn't enough evidence to prove that dreams really do come true...

But enough of dramatic stories to persuade you. Of course you can relate to dreams. You've all had them. So what weird and boring dreams have you had lately? Maybe failing a test of some sort or your teeth falling out or even some embarrassing moments that shouldn't be said at all to anybody. These are some very common dream themes that people have had. If you've had dreams in black or white then you're one of the 12 percent of people in the world who dream in black and white.

But we still haven't answered the question, what purpose do dreams bring? The next time you go to bed think about it. For now the answer is still no...

Liked it? Any editing or mistakes please correct them for me if you can

No copying this speech for your own too! It took a lot of time and effort to perfect this speech and i wouldn't want someone to take it away from me just to be too 'bothered' to spend their own time on their own speech!

That's an interesting subject you picked. :yes: How did you come up with it?

And you have a great speech there by the way. ;)

Well this is for a school speech and I'm year 7 also known as form 1 so this is the annual speech for school... and I've had this topic in my head every year ever since we were told to start speeches so I decided to give in to my thought and do this topic so yeah. It's one of my best speeches yet out of my 4 so far! ^_^

Um...I wrote a speech in 15 minutes and got an A-. And I'm not a naturally good speaker, however my 'Content' subpart was A or A+ (can't remember

I'm in Year 7 too. Good luck!

It's a good, well structured argument, but the sentence structure needs to be changed slightly.

etc... But we still haven't answered the question, what purpose do dreams bring? The next time you go to bed think about it. For now the answer is still no...

It sounds a bit too informal to be in a school speech, but provokes thought. The paragraph before is likewise.

Sorry if I've been too critical.

Um...I wrote a speech in 15 minutes and got an A-. And I'm not a naturally good speaker, however my 'Content' subpart was A or A+ (can't remember

I'm in Year 7 too. Good luck!

It's a good, well structured argument, but the sentence structure needs to be changed slightly.

etc... But we still haven't answered the question, what purpose do dreams bring? The next time you go to bed think about it. For now the answer is still no...

It sounds a bit too informal to be in a school speech, but provokes thought. The paragraph before is likewise.

Sorry if I've been too critical.

No, no that's great advice! I sort of rushed the last part anyway. I'm naturally a 'non creative' person so it sort of took 3 days to write out something good. Anyway I'll get straight back to work *hurries back to grab speech*