What is the best graphic program out there?

Slim Jim

Hi, I just got my laptop for my b-day and I want to test out some awesome graphic programs like GIMP but I am looking for the best quality and low in pay or even no cost at all. I can do the basics on paint but now i want to step it up and really show what I can do. I can teach myself stuff but I cant use a tutorial on how to do stuff..unless its common sense. If its complicated and stuff I dont know what is going on, it wouldnt work for me?

Anyone know any good programs out there?

Also looking for trails as well, if they offer them.

Sorry for the word maker, im just used to people saying maker instead of program.

Photoshop is the best, but it's not cheap. But you can get a trial version to test it out: http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/index.html

GIMP is quite good. Probably the best free graphics editor.

Agreed. Photoshop is too pricey for me, though. Just about everything I need is in GIMP.

• 2 weeks later...

As said before, Photoshop is probably the best program for graphics, but definitely not the cheapest out there. I use Paint Shop Pro (8) for my graphics, but the version doesn't really matter, it just makes the price different. I bought my copy off of ebay for around $30 and it works great if you don't want to do anything too fancy with your images. It's not to hard to work either, I self taught myself most of what I know, but there are some good tutorial sites out there to get you started.

I just got Photoshop CS3 and I think it is definitely worth the price. You can get a new copy of Photoshop if you qualify for a student discount. I did, and I got it for 180 USD. Definitely a good price.

I'd have to agree that (at least for now) there's no match for Photoshop, even if it is right at the top of the price range. Personally, I'm partial towards the GIMP though - it's free, it's open-source, and it's powerful enough to meet all my needs as an (extremely amateur) graphics designer.

I have Photoshop Elements 4.0 and 6.0.

I prefer 4.0 for creating graphics from scratch and 6.0 for editing pictures of people.

I think 4.0 is somewhere around $50 and 6.0 is $80. So it's a good value for what you get.

• 2 weeks later...

Well people would say Photoshop, but it is rather expensive. Paint Shop Pro is pretty good, I use that a lot and it's cheaper. But you could download the trail versions of both, see how you find them, then decide which one you want to get.

• 2 weeks later...

I would say that I love CS3 Photoshop.

People also already have cracks of it on the computer.

Non-trials, but eh...

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...