Denmark At Midnight

MariaWB

Did you think Denmark was a town in Sweden?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Did you think Denmark was a town in Sweden?

• Yes *blushes*
    • No, off course not!
    • Not Sweden, but something like that..

Not a lot of people out in the big world know too much about little Denmark. You know vikings, Viggo Mortensen, that we have a royal family and suck at soccer - and then there are those who think Denmark is a town in Sweden. But, then again, some think Europe is a country, so mistaking Denmark for a swedish town might not be so bad at all since we ARE close neighbours :P

We are actually quite far north, us danes. A few hours by plane north and you have sunshine at midnight in summer and almost no sun at all during winter. Although we're not quite Iceland, Greenland or the most northern parts of Sweden and Norway, we do have long days in summer and looooooooong nights in winter.

About two weeks ago I took a picture of the western horizon outside the front door of my mom's apartment so I could show you what midnight looks like in Denmark on June 16th - five days before the longest day of the year.

The bright light you see in the middle of the picture is NOT the sun, it's a lamp post. As I said, our days are long but we're not Iceland ;)

The picture was taken at 23:46 o'clock - that's 11:46 PM to you non-metric folk ;)

denmarkatmidnight.jpg

And just for the heck of it, here's three pictures I took of the beautiful summer sky last year in june at the end-of-semester concert at the music school my younger brother attended for 6 months.

Our summers are usually grey and dull, so a sky like this is incredible, and I've had it on my screen as a background all winter to cheer me up :)

bluesky3_512x384.jpg

bluesky2_512x384.jpg

bluesky1_384x512.jpg

My ancestry is part Danish, so I know that Denmark is a separate country. And, you forgot mermaids. :)

This past year I was tutoring a girl who immigrated from Denmark... all the kids in my high school were amazed at how fair she was. She was also waaay advanced in terms of make-up and fashion sense. Is it common for designer labels to be really popular there?

My ancestry is part Danish, so I know that Denmark is a separate country. And, you forgot mermaids. :)

This past year I was tutoring a girl who immigrated from Denmark... all the kids in my high school were amazed at how fair she was. She was also waaay advanced in terms of make-up and fashion sense. Is it common for designer labels to be really popular there?

Well, I'm NOT into fashion - I buy most of my clothes at Bilka, a sort of Wal-Mart place *LoL*

But my sister, who turns 17 in about a month, is SO into fashion and make-up! She would NEVER buy ANYTHING from Bilka, not even socks or underwear. I don't get it, why pay 1-200$ for one pair of pants just because they're made by Sister's Point or Sparks - I can get up to TEN pairs of pants for that in Bilka!

So yeah, it's pretty normal for young girls to be into fashion and make-up and perfume and all that =)

That is such a neat picture! Midnight here in Nebraska is...black. Lol, not much more to say about that...

Yes, I know about Denmark. Not a whole lot, but I read a lot about World War II and the Holocaust, so I know about Europe and that particular time in history. It sounds like a lovely country, and I would love to visit someday.

:)

That is such a neat picture! Midnight here in Nebraska is...black. Lol, not much more to say about that...

Yes, I know about Denmark. Not a whole lot, but I read a lot about World War II and the Holocaust, so I know about Europe and that particular time in history. It sounds like a lovely country, and I would love to visit someday.

:)

Compared to the rest of the world, there's 'not a lot to see in Denmark' - but there is. Just not big things such as pyramids, skyscrapers, mountains, stuff like the Grand Canyon or Niagara Falls.

Denmark is flat and stuffed with farm animals and fields.

But... We DO have structures built B.C. and a lot A.C., but they're still old. A harbour from 700 AD, lots of viking funeral mounds and boats and settlements, castles and churches, and then there's Trælleborg - a viking fortress shaped in a perfect circle and perfectly level land with four entrances that points to north, south, east and west.

Plus a lot of indisturbed nature.

So if you can do without the big impressive stuff, Denmark is very nice =) also the people are very nice and calm and inviting. And we have LOTS of food and beer! *LoL*

Oooh, amazing pictures ^_^

I've never been to Denmark (nor is part of my ancestry Danish) but those pictures are awesome.

I just want to know what bridge is in the background of the midnight picture.

Oooh, amazing pictures ^_^

I've never been to Denmark (nor is part of my ancestry Danish) but those pictures are awesome.

I just want to know what bridge is in the background of the midnight picture.

No bridge, satelite tower *L* I live far from any bridges =)

• 2 weeks later...

Whoa - cool picture. I'd love to live in a place which still had light in the sky near midnight. XD