[SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT] Forums down for many...

Ian

Hello everybody,

Our server admin accidentally misconfigured our DNS for our forums (by just ONE NUMBER ughh! :(). We have updated these numbers and they now reflect the correct figures. For those of you who cannot access the forums, DNS should update globally within 24-72 hours. After DNS has updated for you, you should be able to access the forums.

Thanks for your patience...

Ian

Oh come on, its not like I was going to send that person a barrage of complaint letters for the next seven years, I'd stop at year three. ^_^

Thank God for Ctrl+v...

But back on topic:

It would seem a silly error for someone to make, but human error and all that... Can't blame them.

It should be fixed within 24 hours for everybody at the time of writing. :) I'm still having problems myself... it should update soon. Tell your friends it'll be OK!! :D

So you mean finally we will get AA back? He has been having issues and hasn't been able to get on since the server was updated!

Is that why he hasn't been on? Wow, I was about to ask him that myself. The RPs have screeched to a halt for his absence.

Yeah I asked him a couple of days ago as to why he hadn't been online (it is a bit qiet without him and Tom stirring :P) and that is when he told me that it hadn't caught up yet otherwise he would be procrastinating a little more :P

He has been awfully busy, so it is probably a good thing :P

You know, I've seen just about everything on the neopets section with the last post by me. :rolleyes_anim:

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Matt) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Off topic. Stick to the topic at hand.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

there is a way to get to tdnforums all the time without having to wait for the update on DNS. you just have to put an entry in your hosts file. add these 2 lines below all other entries:

66.230.199.198 tdnforums.com

66.230.199.198 www.tdnforums.com

on a windows 'puter, the path to the hosts file is c:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

this file does not have an extension, so pick Notepad.exe to open and edit the file. save your changes. next time you type the sitename into your browser you will magically be brought back here without having to rely on DNS.

hs

:rolleyes_anim:

p.s. - don't change or delete ANYTHING else in your hosts file. it is a system file and you can mess up your system if you do.

the hosts file is part of your OS. any browser you are using will work just fine. on linux, simply log in as root and edit your /etc/hosts file as explained above. works like a charm on both linux and mac. on a mac, you have to sudo the /etc/hosts file 'cause it's protected. you may need to clear cache and cookies on your browser. btw, i run all 3 OS's on my mac (Mac OS X, RHEL 4.0 Desktop, Win XP) with vmware fusion and the hack works great! works for Safari, FireFox, Opera, and IE browsers.

hs

:rolleyes_anim:

Waits excitedly... looks like we might be having some more action on the forums... Hmmm counting down the next three hours :P

Well I'm finally back! It feels like its been aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaages since I was last on (even though it was just like a week or something), but I'm glad to finally be back. Hopefully everyone else should be able to get back on as well.

I didn't know the DNS problem affected so many people though. At first I just thought it was just me and my computer :P

Welcome back Tom.. We missed you!!! :) Anyways.. yeah has affected quite a few, but everyone should be back in the next couple of days and we can get back to normal (if you can call us normal) :P