A wet state machine?

raeyin

I think I've finally figured out what's going on with the Altador water plant. I haven't finished testing, but it's acting like a state machine. :graduated: Since I'm not sure yet, I don't want to go into a long thing about what a state machine is and how you solve it, but here's the technical version for anyone who can follow it:

Each room has sixteen possible states, which are best represented in hex with each pipe being a bit. There are four wheels and four levers, so we'll call the wheels W1, W2, W3, W4 and the levers L1, ... , L4. Opening all of the wheels and levers puts you in the reset state. For me, that was state 0x04A. To solve it, draw a state diagram and start with the reset state. Try all the wheels and levers until you transition states, then write your new state. I found that opening W4 transitioned me to state 0x092. Some (or most) of the wheels and levers are hold conditions, meaning that they just leave you in the same state. No change. So you keep drawing your diagram, testing as you go, until you find the winner, the "solved" state.

To those who didn't understand that, I'm sorry for the confusion. If anyone who did understand wants to test it, cool, I'd appreciate the help.

Raeyin

Hmm... sounds like a viable theory if I remember correctly. Unfortunately I can't test it since I've already finished the plot.