Pet Names?

Gaevriel

I'm curious about other ppl's choices for pet names.  Do you name your pets after RL pets? People?  Relatives?

here's mine so far

Tibotheus (main) - magma gnorbu named after my beloved cat Tibbotheus who one day said 'EFF YOU' and ran away.

Furbreezio - baby bruce - i just liked the sound of it.

Mootious - baby kau - he's a cow and cows go moo

Tidal_Waverson - water lutari - his tail looks like a wave 

Lady_Earl - christmas vandagyre - named after a baby cat i had named lady earl grey

Gaevriel - striped jetsam - well....how could i not? lol  i'm gonna make him a mutant some day

last but not least...

Carrol_Baskin - yellow kacheek - no explanation should be needed for this one. not sure what i'll paint or morph her into.

Aw, I'm sorry about your cat :crying_anim: How long ago did they run away?

I'm a bit of a name snob, except when I'm not. Some of my pets are just nice named pets I've gotten from the pound, and others I've traded for, so I can't really take the credit for making the names. But I tend to like names that have the right vibe for the character I'm going to base around the pet, such as Wrecho, who I found in the pound, and turned into a mutant Xweetok because the name sounds a bit like 'wretched' or Giovannai, who I traded for, and turned into a Pirate Buzz, because it sounds like a swashbuckler-esque name.

Of the pets I've created, a lot of them are named after my characters -
Scizen, my Mutant Eyrie, is named after the main character of my first novel
Svonclaw and Byorwing, my Royal Vandagyres, are named after some Dragon Age homebrew lore, the gods of Duty and Faith, respectively.
Then there's my pets named after my homestuck fantrolls: Jepire (Robot Buzz), Squeri (Robot Bori), Regieg (GLowing Kyrii), Giloug (Transparent Kyrii), and Iofana and Ressom, my Royal Kyriis. Sadly the gang is unlikely to ever be complete, as the other six characters have both their first and last names already taken!

I also enjoy hunting down names of characters from my favorite games that haven't yet been taken, and there's a surprising amount if you go for the more obscure characters.

And then there's my edible pets account, in which I have sought out pets with less-than-perfect names, mostly pound adopts. A couple of them are:
coooooooooooooookie, my Cookie Skeith
lollypops4eva, my Strawberry Kyrii
and __Ms_Chocolate__, who I'm currently zapping to turn into a Chocolate Kyrii.
This was mostly to challenge myself to not be such a name snob :upsidedown: and there is something very fun and nostalgic about these janky names!

19 minutes ago, berriganify said:

Aw, I'm sorry about your cat :crying_anim: How long ago did they run away?

the fat, orange jerk ran away last august after my other cat had a litter of kittens.  his nose was out of joint and he took off.  there has been sightings of him around town and i've been told he's still fat so somebody must be feeding him.  

21 minutes ago, berriganify said:

I'm a bit of a name snob, except when I'm not. Some of my pets are just nice named pets I've gotten from the pound, and others I've traded for, so I can't really take the credit for making the names. But I tend to like names that have the right vibe for the character I'm going to base around the pet, such as Wrecho, who I found in the pound, and turned into a mutant weetok because the name sounds a bit like 'wretched' or Giovannai, who I traded for, and turned into a Pirate Buzz, because it sounds like a swashbuckler-esque name.

i had a RL cat named Giovanni and i love that name.  what comes to mind for me is a blumaroo dressed in a striped shirt and a beret, holding a ciggy.  an italian name but a french look lol  i really like the names you came up with.

Dang, yeah cats can be funny like that. It took our two cats like a month to get used to each other, before then they'd basically divided up the house and wouldn't go near each other. I'm glad to hear that he's doing alright, though!

A very french look, indeed! It is a lovely name, I originally offered on him (I think he was a lupe at the time?) because Giovanni's Room was one of those ~formative books~ for me growing up. Oddly though, it still took me a while to really get attached to him? Has that ever happened to anyone else? I went back and forth over whether or not to retrade him for like a good five or six months. :D But I'm thoroughly attached now, I've been trying to get him a gold petpet because I think it would be fun if his backstory was that he stole it and went on the run, and that's why he's skulking around Meridell instead of out on the open seas.

Rembarant - blue meerca - My brother named him, I think he was going for Rembrandt, like the artist, and just didn't know how to spell it.

Erataz - red acara - Idk, my brother named him, too

Ghazikhanian - red kacheek - Also named by my brother, after an X-Men character

Varegase - purple grundo - My brother again.  I think also some kind of Marvel character.

I was five when I signed up, so I just let my brother do whatever he wanted. Lol

19 minutes ago, Hayley said:

Rembarant - blue meerca - My brother named him, I think he was going for Rembrandt, like the artist, and just didn't know how to spell it.

Erataz - red acara - Idk, my brother named him, too

Ghazikhanian - red kacheek - Also named by my brother, after an X-Men character

Varegase - purple grundo - My brother again.  I think also some kind of Marvel character.

I was five when I signed up, so I just let my brother do whatever he wanted. Lol

your brother did pretty good picking those names.  i think my favorite is rembarant.  the spelling is close enough lol

All of my original pets (from 2001 or so) have TERRIBLE names because I had no idea what I was doing and took whatever abominable string of numbers and underscores Neopets unhelpfully suggested I append to my original (taken) choice. These include Angel_Rules_2001, Ally_Anna33, Sigma123_2001, and Zena1305. Yikes, but... y'know. It is what it is. I'm too attached to them to ever do anything about it.

All of the names of pets that I created post-2001 (which really just means 2020ish to present, lol) are very carefully chosen and have special meanings. I like to either find a unique but related word for their eventual appearance (color/species), or combine a few until I get something that sounds like what I want.

Rivulett, my Maraquan Lutari, is just an alternative spelling of Rivulet (which was already taken), meaning "a very small stream"

Samsanthea, my Island/Christmas crosspainted sunflower Kau, got her mashup name from the Hebrew "Samson", meaning "like the sun", and the Greek "Thea", or "goddess". This one is also extra fun because I have synesthesia and the colors of all of the letters in her name - it’s a very autumnal palette - are present in her customization! 

Amplexicaul, my Woodland Techo, is a term that describes a specific type of leaf; fitting, then, for a leaf-footed gecko!

HedleyKow, my lab rat (currently a Pastel Bruce, which is actually super cute), is named after a mischievous faerie tale elf whose most notable quality is shapeshifting to play harmless tricks on unsuspecting passersby; again, perfect for a pet whose entire purpose is to let me play around with the lab ray.

ETA Primordhia, my new Chomby as of Chomby Day, whose name comes from "primordial" for obvious reasons; I think I'll eventually paint her Relic!

Edited by missuninvited
to improve formatting clarity and to add my new Chomby

2 hours ago, missuninvited said:

All of my original pets (from 2001 or so) have TERRIBLE names because I had no idea what I was doing and took whatever abominable string of numbers and underscores Neopets unhelpfully suggested I append to my original (taken) choice.

I know exactly what you're talking about lol   my original pets were lazy names and had lots of numbers.  i really like the thought you put into your current pet names. 

I named very few of mine, the rest came from the pound already named. (first account aside, but that was so long ago I don't remember what I'd called them.)

Col_Mack (avatar, though she's been painted since) was made when I was a teenager and obsessed with the American show JAG.  Lol, had all 4 of the pets on the account named after characters at one point, but ended up giving away the rest over time because I'm no longer obsessed with it.  

Luke_Skywoofer and Lupe_Skywoofer were created as pets for side accounts since you have to create one to start it.  I'm a SW nerd, sooo. . .  One's spotted, and the other will eventually be eventide when I take the time to put him on my main (fountain faerie quest).  

I HAD one I named Hermiones_Hedwig (vandy) on another side, but pounded her because I didn't like any customisations for them like right before the vanda librarian set came out.  🙄  Still kicking myself for that one, tbh.

5 hours ago, GillyTook said:

Luke_Skywoofer and Lupe_Skywoofer were created as pets for side accounts since you have to create one to start it.  I'm a SW nerd, sooo. . .  One's spotted, and the other will eventually be eventide when I take the time to put him on my main (fountain faerie quest).  

please PLEASE look me up if you ever decide to pound either one of those.  i'm a SW nerd too and i'm in love with those names 😃

None of my pet's names have any special meaning. I just thought they would fit with them. It started with my original four (who I didn't paint for several years): klawai (eventide Shoyru) kolepia (camouflage Scorchio) Klamania (Spotted Tuskaninny) and Kramak (Tyrannian Grarrl) who I have painted several 'colors' before settling with these ones. Now I knew from the start that I didn't want names with numbers or underscores (that's what these _ are called, right?) and as you could get more and more pets I found out after the 5th or 6th one that I liked the letter k (which is now my favorite letter as you might expect). And I stuck with that ever since. So now along with those previous 4 odd names I got (some of which I transferred from my side to my main after it was possible): Kapilor (starry Ogrin), Kuporion (faerie Techo), Kramarto (dimensional Eyrie), Koricko (desert Korbat), Kleplo (fire Lutari), Kwammar (mutant Bori), Klarton (pink Lenny), Kiyachar (stealthy Gelert), Kirsauk (toy Blumaroo), Kiparak (wraith Chomby), Kaskafil (ice Hissi (the story behind him I told in another forum post)), Kapordo (royalboy Zafara), Karchef (halloween Lupe), Karumpa (electric Draik), Koishar (water Jetsam) and Klopari (rainbow Krawk). And on my side I have an adopted pet (Rin_go_Rawr, a red Xweetok) and one of my own (my most recent) to keep it company: Kupakwa (blue Kyrii who I'm hoping gets to be candy one day). So yeah. There you have my wierd naming choices. XD

wow!  move over Kardashians, there's a better family of K names in town 😁   i think my favorite of the bunch is Klarton the pink lenny.  (Karumpa is a close second)

28 minutes ago, Gaevriel said:

wow!  move over Kardashians, there's a better family of K names in town 😁   i think my favorite of the bunch is Klarton the pink lenny.  (Karumpa is a close second)

Thanks. :D It was quite a challenge and fun to come up with original k-names who hadn't been taken and still would fit the pet.

2 hours ago, berriganify said:

Kuporion sounds like a pokemon, probably one that's neon! :P I like Kramak and Karchef the best though!

Kuporion would certainly fit right in with the eeveelution family, if you ask me! 

Personally, I think Kaskafil has my favorite named of out of the little kommunity. 

@missuninvited I haven't gotten the set for the second of the Skywoofers yet, but will be soon.  SO glad they put lupes for them so they can have the punny surname ❤️ 

@Gaevriel Doubt I'll ever pound one.  Got my fave (spotted) with one, and am going for the eventide because of things in that trilogy I don't like to think as much about, lol.  

18 hours ago, missuninvited said:

Kuporion would certainly fit right in with the eeveelution family, if you ask me! 

Personally, I think Kaskafil has my favorite named of out of the little kommunity. 

Awesome to hear that. But now I'm thinking about sticking to calling my pets a kommunity. XD

Here are mine:

80sfilms: Named after a song by one of my favorite artists, Jon Bellion.

JohnBookerRoutledge: Named after the character John B from Outer Banks.

MatchaDonut: My gallery is café-themed, and I wanted at least one of my pets to have a name that somewhat matches the theme.

RollerRabbit: Named after a clothing brand.

toastmalone: A play on words of the rapper Post Malone's name. In keeping with the musicians-with-bread-related-pun names, her petpet is called Bread Sheeran.

WalkingMeme: Found him at the pound a few years ago and his name was wayyyyyy too good to pass up.

My eldest pets have horrible names as well as I was just a teenager and let Neopets "help" with suggestions:

luckje2000: Eventide Kacheek with Robot housing (My battle pet)

_roll_over_: Cloud jubjub because when I created it I watched the little "movie" and they were rolling over the hills making me think of "Roll over Beethoven"

aapke_2000: Halloween Mynci (Guess I really had no inspiration for names back then)

__xian__: Fire Shoyru (I just really like Xian a lot as a name)

wudahS: Shadow backwards and misspelled is a Baby Xweetok

Later I created more pets thinking of better names:

RyujinShin: Mutant Draik (Ryujin is a dragon in Japanese mythology, Shin is part of shinrin yoku which means forest bathing)

Vinyama: One of my lab rats, at the moment Blue Kacheek means Animal in Swahili

Kyanwa: Spotted kougra (means Cat in Hausa)

Peresan: Second labrat, at the moment a blue flotsam (I think it meant something or is derived of something meaning organism or animal or something like that but I can't remember)

Zenmiya: Candy Zafara (As far as I remember didn't had a meaning, just a name I came up with)

Noctate: Shadow Korbat (Noctus means the night in latin)

Ostcar: adopted this one, Stealth Hissi

Servivu: Third labrat, at the moment a water Grundo (Ser Vivu Means organism in Spanish)

I still want a UC Faerie draik as that is my dream pet, but I don't have a name yet (Or maybe in the future RyujinShin will be turned into the UC faerie Draik. Who knows. It will most certainly be named something Japanese as I'm learning Japanese right now and I really like the language. Also, whenever I think of Dragons I think of Japan.