Neopets Adds Two Factor Authentication (2FA)!

hrtbrk

Neopets introduced Two Factor Authentication, often known as 2FA, to the website today. This feature offers an extra layer of security, asking you for an additional code, when logging in to your account(s).

To set it up, head to your preferences and enable the new feature. A set of instructions will come up that you will need to follow, including downloading an Authenticator App on your mobile device if you do not have one. Once enabled, your app will provide you with a six digit code that you will need to enter to be able to log in.

mfa-header.png

LEARN MORE ABOUT 2FA HERE

Please note that you should know your current email address and password associated with your respective accounts before enabling 2FA. 

To each his own but I use a desk top with a 32" monitor and  never use my phone to lay neo. I tried once but I felt I was trying to play some game I never played before. It was so different than my desk top and I had a hard time reading/seeing the screen!  I recently used a pad while in the hospital that T Mobile gave me for (I can't remember why they gave it to me) nI think it has a 7 or 9" screen but I tried using it in the hospital and it was so hard to use. I couldnt figure out how to open up multiple windows next to each other like the desk top. I couldn't get it to work anything like the desk top and I didn't know how to get to the old neo. Anyway, my point is I hope this new security thing is not mandatory. I already have enough problems and I don't want to be forced to use a 2FA. Please tell me if you know, will this only be required if logging in on a mobile phone or a tablet similar to what I have from T Mobile?

12 minutes ago, Granny63020 said:

To each his own but I use a desk top with a 32" monitor and  never use my phone to lay neo. I tried once but I felt I was trying to play some game I never played before. It was so different than my desk top and I had a hard time reading/seeing the screen!  I recently used a pad while in the hospital that T Mobile gave me for (I can't remember why they gave it to me) nI think it has a 7 or 9" screen but I tried using it in the hospital and it was so hard to use. I couldnt figure out how to open up multiple windows next to each other like the desk top. I couldn't get it to work anything like the desk top and I didn't know how to get to the old neo. Anyway, my point is I hope this new security thing is not mandatory. I already have enough problems and I don't want to be forced to use a 2FA. Please tell me if you know, will this only be required if logging in on a mobile phone or a tablet similar to what I have from T Mobile?

It's not mandatory. 2FA adds an extra layer of security to your accounts, and is definitely recommended, but you don't have to use it if you're willing to accept being at a higher risk for being hacked.

It also don't required you to use your phone to play. The way 2-Factor Authentication works is that you link your account to an app on your phone. That app generates a code for you to enter at login, meaning that anyone trying to log into your account would need access to your phone. And since I've seen some people concerned about this, Neo doesn't get access to your phone number.

Honestly. that is a relief for me to know. I use the phone for calls, text messages and pictures. I hadn't used that pad they sent me, still trying to remember why they gave that to me, for anything. I've had it for about 5 years and took it out of the box to take it to the hospital thinking I could play neo. Every screen I opened I had to inflate to a larger size just so I could see it/read it easier. Although it has a phone number to it you can't make calls with it.  I'm not sure but I don't think it text either. When I called T Mobile they told me to use it to watch movies. haha it is useless to me. The smallest Tv in my house is a 40" and the largest is 72 or 75". I guess if I took the time to learn how to use the thing it would have been great but I'm home now and using the desk top. I stuck the tablet back in the box where it will stay. I'm happy I do not have to download an app to my phone so thanks for filling me in and setting my mind at ease with this. I appreciate the information.

9 hours ago, berriganify said:

2FA apps are generally pretty lightweight, and you should already have them for your email/banking/etc

My email doesn't and banking uses my email or phone.  Work has one if we're trying to log on on a device that's not logged into the our email.  Student accounts are getting hacked MORE now, and since it's call/text only, I can't log in outside work since I pay by text and refuse to pay for the opportunity to log into my work email.  It's a nightmare, really, and has sort of soured my whole opinion of MFA.

Is this working for people? I wasn't able to set it up using Duo, so I downloaded Google Authenticator and it didn't work on there either... EDIT: I also tried both browsers Waterfox and Chrome, but it wouldn't take my activation code. I sent a ticket but you know how that is... ),:

@GillyTook Yikes, that is a nightmare! Although I learned via the boards that a lot of modern phones have 2FA built in. My phones are always a generation or two behind, so it's the GA app for me, but if your phone is a current model maybe see if it has one pre-installed?

As for whether or not it's working I've heard mixed reports. I'm waiting until I see if they're going to add an option to remember your device for 7-30 (it currently doesn't, and while I'm fine entering the code every time I wanna check like, my bank account, I'm just... not going to the trouble of doing that a dozen+ times a day for a virtual pet site. 🤷‍♂️ I'll add it on if I ever take an extended break. I did send in a question to the editorial asking about that, and I've seen others requesting it too, so fingers crossed we get that added.

I too only use my desktop to play neopets and don't have any 2FA app on my phone. Everything that (administrative and medical apps) needs that has it's own program or sends a code to my e-mail. I realize it's highly recommended and do recommend it seeing that I've been hacked in the past as well, just like many others, but my phone is old and barely has any room on it to install new things. I even need to move all my pictures to my desktop from time to time to make room to actually do things. But as long is memory is the only problem (which I can solve easily by moving pictures) I'm not buying a new phone. I don't play any games on it. I only use it for messaging/banking/fb/browsing as a notebook for like groceries and duolingo basically.

If I do need a new phone I'll probably turn it on myself as well, just to be safe.

This is too complicated for me to understand .. also I don't have any more space on my old 16GB phone.

Not only that but TNT disabled the option to copy/paste the password when logging in ... and my passwords are too long and complicated to memorize .. so I ended up getting a password manager on my laptop to log-in to my side accounts (I have the Lab Ray on all 5 of my accounts that I use daily)  

Boy is it nice to know I'm not the only one out there that uses a regular (not phone) computer for neo. I put one of those sims? cards in the phone when we got them several years ago so they are 32 gig instead of 16 (I think).  Every new phone we (hubby and I) have bought in the past we bought at the same time & got the same phone. He's worse than I am about using it. He depends on me to be able to figure out when something goes wrong. I call T Mobile if I can't figure it out. I bad, he's worse. He has never turned on the desk top. Strictly my computer. He has no idea how to use it or how it works.  We are tech stupid family. I'm happy I have you all to ask questions and get answers from. Here is my latest *phone* problem. I ordered some coffee I like from this company. They sent me the wrong flavor. I sent them an email to let them know it was the wrong flavor. I explained that I realized the packages were very similar  and understood how a mistake could have been made. I asked them where they would like me to send the product to for return and asked they give me a return authorization number so I could do so. I got a message from them telling me they want a picture of the product I wanted to return. I told them if they would give me a phone number I would text them a picture but that I have no idea how to email a picture taken with my phone. They weren't rude per sa but they more or less told me I had to figure it out and email the picture. Why would I want to send them the item back with a request for them to send the correct item if I were lying about this. If I were lying wouldn't I want to keep what they sent and try to get more for free? So, for the last week I have been trying to figure out how to send a picture through email which I have not done yet. I get frustrated and give up then try again another day, over and over this past week. So when I say we are a tech backwards family the statement couldn't be more true. I think I am going to be stuck with the product. I even told them I didn't notice it was the wrong product until I opened one or the 6 I bought. I told them I made 1 cup to see if I liked it so I wouldn't have to return it. I also said I didn't like it but would willing pay for the 1 container I opened if they would just send me what I wanted. They are still insisting on a picture. If I don't figure this out I'm going to end up keeping the stuff and ordering the coffee from a different company. It is the 1st time I have dealt with this  one but it is going to be the last time for sure, no matter what the outcome is. I really don't like being called a lair either directly or indirectly.  There are a lot of things I don't have but what I do have is a reputation of being a truthful, honest person. I',m sorry for the long message. I will get off my high horse now. I'm just upset about the whole thing and it made me feel better to at least tell someone, anyone about this problem. Sorry, but thanks for reading.

Likewise, I play on my PC only, and my phone is too old/dumb for such apps. Smart phones may have their usefulness at times, but I'm fine with talk and txt, though I much prefer talk to txting. 😜 Will probably have to replace mine soon, but I can't see shelling out enough to buy a new laptop or something, for a phone. PLUS paying for data for a smart phone? Not worth it (to me) imho.

@Granny63020

You can either log-in to your email on your phone and send the picture or connect your phone to the computer via the charging cable, move the picture to your computer and send it from there. However if your phone is Apple iPhone you will need to sync it with your computer first via iTunes and it's really complicated. Android phones are easier to connect to the computer.

So the first option is easier in my opinion. Just use the browser on your phone to log-in to your email , or download the e-mail app of your e-mail .. they all have apps now , gmail , hotmail , yahoo mail etc ... 

9 hours ago, Angeló said:

@Granny63020

You can either log-in to your email on your phone and send the picture or connect your phone to the computer via the charging cable, move the picture to your computer and send it from there. However if your phone is Apple iPhone you will need to sync it with your computer first via iTunes and it's really complicated. Android phones are easier to connect to the computer.

So the first option is easier in my opinion. Just use the browser on your phone to log-in to your email , or download the e-mail app of your e-mail .. they all have apps now , gmail , hotmail , yahoo mail etc ... 

Thanks for the help. I think I have it figured out. I'm sorry I managed to get off topic here. SO! Back to the 2FA conversation please. Everyone's help was/is truly appreciated.