Adoption Splurge

Secre

So meandering around the Pound, I found three cute names and instantly picked them up. Now I just need to figure out what to do with them...

Treeshar - Seems like a perfect name for a Woodland pet. I like the Bori, but wanted to do a Hallo/Woodland cross and I'm not sure the name works for that. Possibly Kau or Techo? Never thought I'd get either of those species, but I have to admit, they are pretty in Woodland!

No description available.No description available.

Sunsands (nearly 18 years old as well, not quite my oldest pet - that goes to HarmBoer at 19 years but pretty cool!) - Pretty name, but lost on what it suits. Would it work for a UsukiGirl? I can see it being like a stage name! Other possibilities would be Fire (FaithfulDarkness was once a Fire Uni in homage to my make believe game with an old childhood friend. The Fire Hissi is quite cool as well). Desert could be a homage to the sands part of the name... but I already have a Desert Bruce and Kiko.

Open photo

Lovelymassacre - Picked up solely because it made me giggle. Immediately gone to my baby side as that sums up the toddler race in a nutshell. He's almost 13 years old, so I'm hoping immune to name culling. Baby Bori and Cybunny are already on my list, Bori would be the obvious option as Cybunny MP's are expensive as heck!

No description available.

Awesome!  I was just looking at lost and pound yesterday to see if I could find anything interesting!  (though I've got like two spots left on my sides 😞 Almost tempted to make an extra and hope I never get caught. . .  Too chicken, though!) 

Out of curiosity, what is name culling? 

22 minutes ago, GillyTook said:

Awesome!  I was just looking at lost and pound yesterday to see if I could find anything interesting!  (though I've got like two spots left on my sides 😞 Almost tempted to make an extra and hope I never get caught. . .  Too chicken, though!) 

Out of curiosity, what is name culling? 

I wouldn't create more than the allowed number of sides. That leads to banning. You are allowed four sides though for a maximum of five accounts. And you can buy pet slots in the NC Mall to a max of 20 on a Premium account and 16 on a non Premium account. I'm at 15 on my main, 4 on my first side, 6 on my baby side, 5 on my mutant side and 2 randoms on my final side.

Name culling - TNT have a nasty habit of deleting pets with 'non-allowed' names. Some pets are grandfathered and permitted to stay, others you just have to hope they stay under the radar. But kill for example isn't allowed, so I'm a tad wary of massacre! I'll hold it for a month or two before morphing and go with Bori as that will only set me back 80k to morph, and 600k for the PB if it does go poof. Better than a couple of million for the Cybunny morphing potion and then the PB!

Essentially, violence, swearing, vulgarity, and any references to politics/current events (and random words that don't go through the filter like cucumber because of the second syllable...). So my pet Coronaville was deleted in 2020 - my fault, it was a new pet and I was trying to be funny as I came back due to lockdown. But SneezlesForNeezles was fine as it's Neopian illnesses. References to Trump have definitely been deleted. There was a big thing a while back about a pet that had the name 'Chombussy' which the second bit is apparently queer slang for a males anatomical area that is equivalent to the female anatomical area slang that rhymes with bussy. I'm not sure how strict TDN is on slang vulgarity, hence the long way round in describing it. 

Also check out Second Time Around for stuck pets with decent names: https://www.neopets.com/~Kylinth

There's something so ominous about a baby pet called Lovelymassacre. What's he's done? What's he going to do?? Personally for that name I'd go for the cybunny, just because 'killer rabbits' is kind of a Thing, already lol. I do hope he doesn't get deleted though! That's been my biggest fear with one of my pets (Gloomstalker), even though I made her well past the filters being introduced so hopefully if the name was allowed through, that means it's ok! And "Stalk" can refer to just a type of movement, anyway (that's the context it's used in here!), not just stalking a person, so hopefully?? Also Chombussy, that's amazing. I completely understand why it was deleted, but still.

Sunsands would actually work well for a woodland Kau with that outfit, actually!

Also, @Secre if you do want to use the name Treeshar for your hallo/woodland bori, I am pleased to tell you that it would actually be the perfect fit! Shar is the name of a goddess in D&D, the goddess of darkness and loss, most revered by those under the domains of death and trickery!

And I also just found Tremousie. That may have to be a Woodland Korbat... at this rate, I'll have no pet slots left even after having bought the max!

17 hours ago, Angeló said:

Treeshar = Definitely a Woodland Techo

Sunsands = desert ixi or Vandagyre

Lovelymassacre = Baby Bori ... hehehe yeah ok  i see what you did there

I'm not so keen on the Ixi, but the Vandy is cute. That's definitely gone on my list!

Yeah, lovelymassaacre just spoke to me at a spirit level!

16 hours ago, berriganify said:

There's something so ominous about a baby pet called Lovelymassacre. What's he's done? What's he going to do?? Personally for that name I'd go for the cybunny, just because 'killer rabbits' is kind of a Thing, already lol. I do hope he doesn't get deleted though! That's been my biggest fear with one of my pets (Gloomstalker), even though I made her well past the filters being introduced so hopefully if the name was allowed through, that means it's ok! And "Stalk" can refer to just a type of movement, anyway (that's the context it's used in here!), not just stalking a person, so hopefully?? Also Chombussy, that's amazing. I completely understand why it was deleted, but still.

Sunsands would actually work well for a woodland Kau with that outfit, actually!

Also, @Secre if you do want to use the name Treeshar for your hallo/woodland bori, I am pleased to tell you that it would actually be the perfect fit! Shar is the name of a goddess in D&D, the goddess of darkness and loss, most revered by those under the domains of death and trickery!

Who knows and I suspect we don't want to stick around to find out! Oooh, I hadn't thought about the Killer Bunny references. 

No description available.

Ooooh, that is an interesting titbit about Treeshar. My options are definitely open!

1 hour ago, Secre said:

I'm not so keen on the Ixi, but the Vandy is cute. That's definitely gone on my list!

i had a desert ixi on my previous account , i loved her a lot , but to each their own :D 

19 minutes ago, Angeló said:

i had a desert ixi on my previous account , i loved her a lot , but to each their own :D 

It's aways strange how some peoples absolute dream pets do absolutely nothing for others, isn't it?

And in fairness how a single colour can change an opinion of a species. I find Chomby's boring, Techo's ugly and Kau's meh. But the Tyrannian Chomby is cool - although the original was better before they tweaked it to fit Neopian canon, and the Woodland Kau is adorable and Woodland Techo really cool. Just seen the Woodland Korbat and that's cute as well!

Thank you!  I didn't actually know that.  Any of it!  I thought you could still only get one extra slot by going premium.  Where have I been?

Is there a way to ask neopets if the name is okay before you spend np to change her and have someone notice/report the name?  It's super cute for sure, but it'd be sad to have it go poof later.

3 hours ago, Secre said:

It's aways strange how some peoples absolute dream pets do absolutely nothing for others, isn't it?

And in fairness how a single colour can change an opinion of a species. I find Chomby's boring, Techo's ugly and Kau's meh. But the Tyrannian Chomby is cool - although the original was better before they tweaked it to fit Neopian canon, and the Woodland Kau is adorable and Woodland Techo really cool. Just seen the Woodland Korbat and that's cute as well!

It's wild! I see tons of people on the forums who have all their pets as a single species, like jubs or chias, and I'm sitting there like "good for you, but... why??? they're terrible??" but then I run into people who can't stand my own favourite pets. :D But I suppose that's why it's a good thing that there's so many, so there's something for everyone!

And the colour really can change everything, can't it! Especially some of the more out-there colours, like mutant, maraquan or royal! And yes, woodland! Even the species I absolutely hate, I can usually find at least one colour that I do like, like the maraquan kiko or mutant jubjub. You're spot on about the tyrannian chomby as well, what a cute lil' guy!

That baby cybunny custom is great, btw. The photos definitely tell a story. :evil:

And yeah, I saw that name and I was like... waitaminute, and went to go check the player's handbook.

@GillyTook The slots came out just last December, I believe, so they're still relatively new! And I think the only person that would be able to give a definitive answer are TNT themselves, and drawing attention to it like that is unfortunately probably the best way to get it deleted. I would recommend thought that you don't ever have him as your active when you're on the forums.

1 hour ago, GillyTook said:

Thank you!  I didn't actually know that.  Any of it!  I thought you could still only get one extra slot by going premium.  Where have I been?

Is there a way to ask neopets if the name is okay before you spend np to change her and have someone notice/report the name?  It's super cute for sure, but it'd be sad to have it go poof later.

As it's a side and I'm not very active on the boards, I suspect I'll be able to keep her under the radar. Whereas if I message TNT I'm almost guaranteed to be ensuring her immediate and irreversible poofing. It tends to be because someone has reported the pet - particularly if it's already aged and thus passed the initial filters somehow. So it would be risky to keep her on my main where I do potter around the NC trading boards. The pet trading boards are absolutely renowned for it and I steer clear of those by a very wide margin! 

The new pet slots was a BIIIIIG thing early this year (Jan, I think). Non-Premium members now start with 6 slots. Premium members start with 10. You can buy pet slots in either +1, +5 or +10 in the NC Mall. They're more expensive than I'd have thought though. I was hoping for 250NC a slot. It's closer to 500NC. In fact it is 500NC if you only buy one. +5 is 2250NC and +10 is 4250, so it gets cheaper the more you buy. They did a release sale in January that made the slots cheaper. So if you're not desperate, it may be worth waiting til January to see if they do an anniversary sale. That's what I'm planning on doing with my side providing I don't run out of space first! The +10 was 3400NC in the sale, so 340NC a slot instead of 425...

15 minutes ago, berriganify said:

It's wild! I see tons of people on the forums who have all their pets as a single species, like jubs or chias, and I'm sitting there like "good for you, but... why??? they're terrible??" but then I run into people who can't stand my own favourite pets. :D But I suppose that's why it's a good thing that there's so many, so there's something for everyone!

And the colour really can change everything, can't it! Especially some of the more out-there colours, like mutant, maraquan or royal! And yes, woodland! Even the species I absolutely hate, I can usually find at least one colour that I do like, like the maraquan kiko or mutant jubjub. You're spot on about the tyrannian chomby as well, what a cute lil' guy!

That baby cybunny custom is great, btw. The photos definitely tell a story. :evil:

And yeah, I saw that name and I was like... waitaminute, and went to go check the player's handbook.

@GillyTook The slots came out just last December, I believe, so they're still relatively new! And I think the only person that would be able to give a definitive answer are TNT themselves, and drawing attention to it like that is unfortunately probably the best way to get it deleted. I would recommend thought that you don't ever have him as your active when you're on the forums.

Oh, I find the Chia's uniformly ugly as sin!! A couple of the veggie/fruit ones are ok... but the only one I actively like is the Pea Chia. He's a cute lil guy!

In fairness, I like most pets. Some pets are just more... meh... than others. The exceptions are Chias, Quiggles, Moehogs and Gnorbus. Those ones are absolute no gos. And Skeiths. Also because I had one eat an expensive item and I can hold a grudge for nearly two decades, oh yes I can. 

I'm not a huge fan of the Chomby, Buzz, Elephante, Grarrl, Jetsam, Kacheek, Kau, Korbat, Tonu, Tuskaninny, Usul, or Wocky... but they have colours I actually quite like so I can see me owning one in very specific colours. (I do own a Camo Kacheek - they be cute. And UsukiGirl is on my radar.)

And hah, yep, I saw those photos and instantly thought 'murder board'!

And yep, if I message TNT, I'm almost 99.9% guaranteeing the poofing of my new pet. And I like my new pet. I have to otherwise it will kill me in my sleep and wear my face as a mask. And I like my face. It's the only one I have. On the plus side, I don't use my side to go on forums. I do all NC trading off my main and just occasionally get things sent to my sides from those trades.

4 minutes ago, Secre said:

As it's a side and I'm not very active on the boards, I suspect I'll be able to keep her under the radar. Whereas if I message TNT I'm almost guaranteed to be ensuring her immediate and irreversible poofing. It tends to be because someone has reported the pet - particularly if it's already aged and thus passed the initial filters somehow. So it would be risky to keep her on my main where I do potter around the NC trading boards. The pet trading boards are absolutely renowned for it and I steer clear of those by a very wide margin! 

The new pet slots was a BIIIIIG thing early this year (Jan, I think). Non-Premium members now start with 6 slots. Premium members start with 10. You can buy pet slots in either +1, +5 or +10 in the NC Mall. They're more expensive than I'd have thought though. I was hoping for 250NC a slot. It's closer to 500NC. In fact it is 500NC if you only buy one. +5 is 2250NC and +10 is 4250, so it gets cheaper the more you buy. They did a release sale in January that made the slots cheaper. So if you're not desperate, it may be worth waiting til January to see if they do an anniversary sale. That's what I'm planning on doing with my side providing I don't run out of space first! The +10 was 3400NC in the sale, so 340NC a slot instead of 425...

Oh, I find the Chia's uniformly ugly as sin!! A couple of the veggie/fruit ones are ok... but the only one I actively like is the Pea Chia. He's a cute lil guy!

In fairness, I like most pets. Some pets are just more... meh... than others. The exceptions are Chias, Quiggles, Moehogs and Gnorbus. Those ones are absolute no gos. And Skeiths. Also because I had one eat an expensive item and I can hold a grudge for nearly two decades, oh yes I can. 

I'm not a huge fan of the Chomby, Buzz, Elephante, Grarrl, Jetsam, Kacheek, Kau, Korbat, Tonu, Tuskaninny, Usul, or Wocky... but they have colours I actually quite like so I can see me owning one in very specific colours. (I do own a Camo Kacheek - they be cute. And UsukiGirl is on my radar.)

And hah, yep, I saw those photos and instantly thought 'murder board'!

And yep, if I message TNT, I'm almost 99.9% guaranteeing the poofing of my new pet. And I like my new pet. I have to otherwise it will kill me in my sleep and wear my face as a mask. And I like my face. It's the only one I have. On the plus side, I don't use my side to go on forums. I do all NC trading off my main and just occasionally get things sent to my sides from those trades.

Ugh, yeah, the pound chat can be awful sometimes. Like, cmon, no one likes a narc!

Honestly, if a skeith did that to me, I'd hold a grudge, too. Did he just eat it on his own or did you accidently feed it to him? That's the main reason I don't have any grarrls, despite really liking that species! I just don't want to risk it.

Ok I'm glad someone else thought "murder board/trophy wall" and it wasn't just me. :D Staying under the radar is 100% your best bet. You don't want your face to get eaten, after all!

I'm with you on Chias and Quiggles. Them and Jubjubs, Kikos, Nimmos and Techos are my 'no go'... so Round and Creepy Fingers seems to be my squick factor! The moehogs are nice, although tbf I really like pigs and boars IRL, so that probably has something to do with it. And I absolutely love buzzes, but I get why a lot of people don't given the insect-y-ness of them!

7 minutes ago, berriganify said:

Ugh, yeah, the pound chat can be awful sometimes. Like, cmon, no one likes a narc!

Honestly, if a skeith did that to me, I'd hold a grudge, too. Did he just eat it on his own or did you accidently feed it to him? That's the main reason I don't have any grarrls, despite really liking that species! I just don't want to risk it.

Ok I'm glad someone else thought "murder board/trophy wall" and it wasn't just me. :D Staying under the radar is 100% your best bet. You don't want your face to get eaten, after all!

I'm with you on Chias and Quiggles. Them and Jubjubs, Kikos, Nimmos and Techos are my 'no go'... so Round and Creepy Fingers seems to be my squick factor! The moehogs are nice, although tbf I really like pigs and boars IRL, so that probably has something to do with it. And I absolutely love buzzes, but I get why a lot of people don't given the insect-y-ness of them!

The Pound Board just scares me... even more than my new lil murder pet does. And that comes with the threat of death and face stealing, so what does that say about the Pound Chat!?

As I recall, I accidentally fed it a ... morphing potion? Maybe a book? I think? I'm going back like 17-18 years and my memory is fuzzy. I didn't realise they could just straight up nom on your items if they were hungry though! I read that and went naaaah.... *thinks* ... *googles* ... holy hell, they can eat your bleeding items! I was just young, foolish and didn't realise Skeith's could eat items that weren't meant for eating!

Oh, Techo's should have been on my list. The Woodland is the only redeeming colour! I quite like the JubJub... I had a clay one - now my Mara Kiko - that was really cute, but the name leant itself to a Mara pet. Ottaas would have been better as an otter, but the closest we have is the Lupe as a seal and I went with cute over namesake!

1 hour ago, Secre said:

The Pound Board just scares me... even more than my new lil murder pet does. And that comes with the threat of death and face stealing, so what does that say about the Pound Chat!?

As I recall, I accidentally fed it a ... morphing potion? Maybe a book? I think? I'm going back like 17-18 years and my memory is fuzzy. I didn't realise they could just straight up nom on your items if they were hungry though! I read that and went naaaah.... *thinks* ... *googles* ... holy hell, they can eat your bleeding items! I was just young, foolish and didn't realise Skeith's could eat items that weren't meant for eating!

Oh, Techo's should have been on my list. The Woodland is the only redeeming colour! I quite like the JubJub... I had a clay one - now my Mara Kiko - that was really cute, but the name leant itself to a Mara pet. Ottaas would have been better as an otter, but the closest we have is the Lupe as a seal and I went with cute over namesake!

As someone who is a semi regular on the PC, yeah, same lol

And aren't lutaris otters? Or are they based on a different animal? They look like otters to me haha

That's rough that you lost your item like that. I know it's a 'fun quirk of the species' and all that, but... oof, especially if you don't know about it, that's not a fun way to find out! Honestly, I wonder if TNT has thought about changing it over the years, like they changed the blue and boochi random events. Can you imagine something like that being introduced today? There would be so much complaining!

On 9/6/2022 at 6:38 PM, berriganify said:

As someone who is a semi regular on the PC, yeah, same lol

And aren't lutaris otters? Or are they based on a different animal? They look like otters to me haha

That's rough that you lost your item like that. I know it's a 'fun quirk of the species' and all that, but... oof, especially if you don't know about it, that's not a fun way to find out! Honestly, I wonder if TNT has thought about changing it over the years, like they changed the blue and boochi random events. Can you imagine something like that being introduced today? There would be so much complaining!

You know... I didn't even consider the Lutari... although I already have a Mara Lutari which is clearly based on the axelotl and I'm not keen on any of the other colours barring mutant. 

Lutaris are definitely otters.  Lutra lutra is the Eurasian otter's latin name, so it's probably a play off of that. 

I hadn't actually thought of the getting his name checked.  Yeah, it does seem like a good way to get a pet to poof.  Shame, really.  Also that people report pet names on whims.  I've reported all of one.  I found it in the pound, and it was a lot more overt than the above mentioned Chombussy. 

I think it's funny what pets are popular or not, too!  I've never really been a fan of shoyrus.  They're okay, but nothing special, yet they're the most popular pet apparently.  I'm not a huge krawk fan, though I've got one since I found a pirate one in the pound.  **snipe!**  I've thought about giving her away to someone else, but I've also thought about not.  A few, like tuskaninis or moehogs, I think are kinda cute, but I wouldn't own one.  And some like jubjubs or kikos or chias?  No thank you.  Not ever.

Randomly, though, I adopted an aisha because while I was playing on dress to impress I saw a custom of one that I thought was cute as could be, though I'd never really liked their looks before. 

Also, looking at lost and pound, it seems like there are tons less painted pets than normal.  Wonder if the extra slots means a lot of people went on adoption sprees, or if it is just that people are abandoning less of them.  Shame that so many have names that guarantee they'll sit there forever.  Seems there are hundreds that were just Species+Random number as their name. 

7 hours ago, GillyTook said:

Also, looking at lost and pound, it seems like there are tons less painted pets than normal.  Wonder if the extra slots means a lot of people went on adoption sprees, or if it is just that people are abandoning less of them.  Shame that so many have names that guarantee they'll sit there forever.  Seems there are hundreds that were just Species+Random number as their name. 

probably both. also paint brush prices are suuuper inflated right now, so people are definitely being a little more careful about what pets they paint.