Pet Creating Spree

berriganify

So over the past week I basically caved and used all the free NC I had from the pet slot promo to buy a pet slot on each of my accounts, and created five new pets within about as many days.

It all started when I was searching for names for my future royal vandagyres. I settled on them pretty quickly: Svonclaw and Byorwing. I'm not surprised these names were untaken, they're names I made up for the story I'm writing for my dragon age character, the god and goddess of the duty/the sun and faith/the moon respectively. But they're tangentially Viking-themed, and I'm quite proud of the worldbuilding and lore I developed for that story, so I'm quite pleased that they were both free! (Imagine if one was free and not the other? Devastating!)

But from there it just kind of snowballed. I was in name-searching MODE, and I managed to snag two more fandom names: Nezikchened (from runescape) and Kabethari (from dragon age). I plan to morph them into a Darigan Buzz and Desert Kyrii respectively (I really should do island for Kabethari to be true to canon, but I just don't like the island colour! :sad01_anim:) but I kind of want to wait and do one of those painting parties that are popular on the pound chat, once I get a name for the pirate buzz I also want!

I'm actually still sitting on another two untaken names, but I have no room left and they're not quite as nice as those two. Maybe if we ever get new slots lol

And then finally, the silliest of all my new pets: I traded for a pet named Mariggold a few years ago, to make a royalgirl mynci. Well, I just realised the other night that Mharigold was untaken, and... so I created her, because that double 'g' has always bothered me. I just wish I'd found out about it before I painted her, now I gotta buy another royal pb 🤦‍♀️But 1.7M is worth it to me in order to not have that spelling glaring at me every time I look at her. It's sooo silly, but I just... ugh. I can't not have the perfect names. (Although, iirc Secre did pretty much the same thing with her pet Voldermorts, didn't she? Except she was smart enough to do it BEFORE she painted lol!) At any rate, Mariggold will find a new owner, who hopefully appreciates her more than I did!

So yeah, Five new pets in under a week. I guess I went a bit overboard lol. Has anyone else ever done this? I just couldn't resist! Despite the fact that I haven't even finished painting the pets I already had! :D The only problem is that when I get the urge to create pets again, I'll have no slots left! Then what? :dance:

@berriganify Nice! Good luck painting all your pets! 

I created Voldermorts (who yep, was originally VoIdemorts with a capital I but the way it shows up on the screen caused me serious distress!), GrandadEeyore and Fuzzbabies with the advent of new pet slots. After moving pets across from sides, I'm up to 15 on my main now. Five spaces to go, although one of them needs to be a lab rat as I don't have the avatars for that on my main yet! I have vague plans for a Usukigirl, a Hallo/Woodland Bori cross and another Mara pet, although I'm not sure which pet yet... 

But I really ought to focus on my mutant side. I have loads of wearables for it and only one mutant! I'm kind of hoping for a FFQ in my current training spurt of cookies, so I can get either the Poogle, Acara or Lutari. Probably Lutari as at some point they'll stop them being able to be transferred again!

36 minutes ago, Secre said:

@berriganify Nice! Good luck painting all your pets! 

I created Voldermorts (who yep, was originally VoIdemorts with a capital I but the way it shows up on the screen caused me serious distress!), GrandadEeyore and Fuzzbabies with the advent of new pet slots. After moving pets across from sides, I'm up to 15 on my main now. Five spaces to go, although one of them needs to be a lab rat as I don't have the avatars for that on my main yet! I have vague plans for a Usukigirl, a Hallo/Woodland Bori cross and another Mara pet, although I'm not sure which pet yet... 

But I really ought to focus on my mutant side. I have loads of wearables for it and only one mutant! I'm kind of hoping for a FFQ in my current training spurt of cookies, so I can get either the Poogle, Acara or Lutari. Probably Lutari as at some point they'll stop them being able to be transferred again!

I thought it was you haha! Honestly, I completely understand. I've been getting back into trading and I've been offered a lot of neat mispells that would fit the pets I want to make perfectly... if not for that darn "I"! Despite loving mispells (I must have like 10 at this point I have 6), I'm still really picking about spelling and certain letters.

Wow, you're really getting close to the limit! The Woodland/Hallo cross looks like it'll turn out really nice! Sort of fossilly, which I suppose suits the bori just fine lol!

And yessss, mutants! I think the only one that I want that I don't have is the kyrii, which is ironic because I know I adopted one from the pound at some point, but I think I repounded it because the name didn't really strike my fancy :P Maybe the hissi at sooome point for the hydra vibes.

The Lutari would be a good choice! It's suitably terrfying, at any rate! But what's this about Lutaris no longer being tradable? Is the current tradability a glitch, or just a temporary thing because of the pet slot releases?

5 hours ago, berriganify said:

I thought it was you haha! Honestly, I completely understand. I've been getting back into trading and I've been offered a lot of neat mispells that would fit the pets I want to make perfectly... if not for that darn "I"! Despite loving mispells (I must have like 10 at this point I have 6), I'm still really picking about spelling and certain letters.

Wow, you're really getting close to the limit! The Woodland/Hallo cross looks like it'll turn out really nice! Sort of fossilly, which I suppose suits the bori just fine lol!

And yessss, mutants! I think the only one that I want that I don't have is the kyrii, which is ironic because I know I adopted one from the pound at some point, but I think I repounded it because the name didn't really strike my fancy :P Maybe the hissi at sooome point for the hydra vibes.

The Lutari would be a good choice! It's suitably terrfying, at any rate! But what's this about Lutaris no longer being tradable? Is the current tradability a glitch, or just a temporary thing because of the pet slot releases?

Yep, it was definitely me. It looked perfectly fine when I typed the name in on the create a pet page as the l and capital i looked identical. But after creation, the capital I had the top and bottom lines which made it obnoxiously obvious what I'd tried to do. So that was a pound and try again moment!

I do like me some pets. I have space on my main side now; there's four pets there currently and I don't think I bought pet slots, but that's always an option. I also have a secondary side which has two pets I'm not sure what to do with - a twin Ruki which may end up on my main and a Lutari, but probably will end up being morphed. Maybe that one would make the cute Bori cross... Then my baby side which has six pets, but I bought at least one pet slot for it. I have a baby Nimmo, Pteri, Xweetok, Lupe, Lutari and Yurble. Baby Cybunny and Bori are on my list, depending on space!

I have most of the pets ready to go on the mutant side - I definitely want a Ixi, Peophin, Pteri and Lutari. I have the Mutant Jetsam sorted. I really like the Poogle and Acara as they are stunning designs but I'll have to buy at least one pet slot on the side for that and haven't yet. As I still need to paint all bar one of the others, it doesn't seem pressing and I'm kind of hoping for another sale on them before I bite. Although looking at the NC Mall now, I can't for the life of me find the +5 and +10 pet slot sets! If I figure out where the multiple pet slot things are, I'd also be interested in the Mutant Uni and despite being utterly hideous, probably a Vandy just because they are so absolutely ridiculous!!

Lutari's becoming tradable was done so people could move them around with the pet slot additions. I haven't heard anything solid to say they will go back to non-trade, but it seems a reasonable conclusion, I think. But take it with a pinch of salt, as it's complete guesswork on my behalf.

EDIT: I'm a moron. I can't see pet slots because I was looking on my main. Where I already have the full pet slots bought. So TNT is stopping me from buying ones I can't use. Having logged in on my side, I can see the pet slots!

8 hours ago, Secre said:

Yep, it was definitely me. It looked perfectly fine when I typed the name in on the create a pet page as the l and capital i looked identical. But after creation, the capital I had the top and bottom lines which made it obnoxiously obvious what I'd tried to do. So that was a pound and try again moment!

I do like me some pets. I have space on my main side now; there's four pets there currently and I don't think I bought pet slots, but that's always an option. I also have a secondary side which has two pets I'm not sure what to do with - a twin Ruki which may end up on my main and a Lutari, but probably will end up being morphed. Maybe that one would make the cute Bori cross... Then my baby side which has six pets, but I bought at least one pet slot for it. I have a baby Nimmo, Pteri, Xweetok, Lupe, Lutari and Yurble. Baby Cybunny and Bori are on my list, depending on space!

I have most of the pets ready to go on the mutant side - I definitely want a Ixi, Peophin, Pteri and Lutari. I have the Mutant Jetsam sorted. I really like the Poogle and Acara as they are stunning designs but I'll have to buy at least one pet slot on the side for that and haven't yet. As I still need to paint all bar one of the others, it doesn't seem pressing and I'm kind of hoping for another sale on them before I bite. Although looking at the NC Mall now, I can't for the life of me find the +5 and +10 pet slot sets! If I figure out where the multiple pet slot things are, I'd also be interested in the Mutant Uni and despite being utterly hideous, probably a Vandy just because they are so absolutely ridiculous!!

Lutari's becoming tradable was done so people could move them around with the pet slot additions. I haven't heard anything solid to say they will go back to non-trade, but it seems a reasonable conclusion, I think. But take it with a pinch of salt, as it's complete guesswork on my behalf.

EDIT: I'm a moron. I can't see pet slots because I was looking on my main. Where I already have the full pet slots bought. So TNT is stopping me from buying ones I can't use. Having logged in on my side, I can see the pet slots!

Neat! I always like seeing how people divvy up their pets between different accounts, and I love looking at accounts where all the pets have a theme going on, it just looks so cool! :thumbsup: I saw someone who had a D&D themed account with a pet based upon each class, and another where there was a pet based on each planet in the solar system... I wish there was a directory or something for themed accounts. Maybe I should ask around, or start one myself...

So do you only have the three accounts, or do you have others with just random pets?

And that's good that they made them movable, it would be nuts if someone had to basically morph, move, then re-morph and re-paint. 🥲 Honestly, while it is a nice little quirk to the species, it's also really annoying, so even though I have 0 intentions of ever owning one, I really hope they keep them movable for the people who do! And I think you're the only person I know that actually likes the mutant Vandy... I remember I was soooo excited for it to come out, because there was a really popular mock-up another user did that basically made it look like a terrifying owlbear (sort of like this) which I would have loved for my D&D themed account. And there was a precedent for basing pets off user designs, but then we got that and it was just..... :who-let-rip: what.

On 9/2/2022 at 9:40 PM, berriganify said:

Neat! I always like seeing how people divvy up their pets between different accounts, and I love looking at accounts where all the pets have a theme going on, it just looks so cool! :thumbsup: I saw someone who had a D&D themed account with a pet based upon each class, and another where there was a pet based on each planet in the solar system... I wish there was a directory or something for themed accounts. Maybe I should ask around, or start one myself...

So do you only have the three accounts, or do you have others with just random pets?

And that's good that they made them movable, it would be nuts if someone had to basically morph, move, then re-morph and re-paint. 🥲 Honestly, while it is a nice little quirk to the species, it's also really annoying, so even though I have 0 intentions of ever owning one, I really hope they keep them movable for the people who do! And I think you're the only person I know that actually likes the mutant Vandy... I remember I was soooo excited for it to come out, because there was a really popular mock-up another user did that basically made it look like a terrifying owlbear (sort of like this) which I would have loved for my D&D themed account. And there was a precedent for basing pets off user designs, but then we got that and it was just..... :who-let-rip: what.

I have the full five accounts, although a lot of pets were moved to my main with the release of the new pet slots.

Selfbetrayal: Main

Keshena: Original side - now got four permies in there

Sneezlesforneezles: Baby side

Motherofeeyores: Mutant side

Secre22: Additional side that was created because I initially ran out of space! That's where the two random pets are sitting!

Maybe I could think of a theme for Secre22... that's worth considering. That requires imagination though. Mutant and baby were kind of obvious if a pain in the backside due to the NC wearables. Book genres would fit with my interests; fantasy could be Faerie, Sci-fi Robot or Alien Aisha... oh the joys of the lab map!, Historical Royal Ruki, Mystery a JubJub dressed as a detective... worth considering if I don't find anything else to do with that side!

Oh, don't get me wrong. I find the mutant Vandy perfectly hideous. It's laughably bad. The colour scheme is insane, the style doesn't fit any of the known neopets designs. It's like a deranged court jester with tentacles. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that one of the staff's kids drew it in honesty. But the absolute ridiculousness of it kinda makes me want one just for the lols and giggles!! But yes, an Owlbear would have been a far better use of the colour!

8 hours ago, Secre said:

I have the full five accounts, although a lot of pets were moved to my main with the release of the new pet slots.

Selfbetrayal: Main

Keshena: Original side - now got four permies in there

Sneezlesforneezles: Baby side

Motherofeeyores: Mutant side

Secre22: Additional side that was created because I initially ran out of space! That's where the two random pets are sitting!

Maybe I could think of a theme for Secre22... that's worth considering. That requires imagination though. Mutant and baby were kind of obvious if a pain in the backside due to the NC wearables. Book genres would fit with my interests; fantasy could be Faerie, Sci-fi Robot or Alien Aisha... oh the joys of the lab map!, Historical Royal Ruki, Mystery a JubJub dressed as a detective... worth considering if I don't find anything else to do with that side!

Oh, don't get me wrong. I find the mutant Vandy perfectly hideous. It's laughably bad. The colour scheme is insane, the style doesn't fit any of the known neopets designs. It's like a deranged court jester with tentacles. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that one of the staff's kids drew it in honesty. But the absolute ridiculousness of it kinda makes me want one just for the lols and giggles!! But yes, an Owlbear would have been a far better use of the colour!

Nice! I'm gonna go check those out! Honestly, themed accounts are great because they make me take a look at pets I would normally never consider. Otherwise I'd probably just have nothing but buzzes and kyriis lol. Admittedly it's still a lot of kyriis and buzzes but I've also got a couple grundos, a ruki, aisha, ixi, mynci, bori, gelert, xweetok and eyrie, most of which I never would have even considered getting if not for having a theme!

Robot/space side are super fun! I have a virtupets-themed side myself (gumbrawler) and it was a wild ride getting the alien and two robots on it. Frustrating at times, but it's probably my favourite account just in terms of visual appearance, because all but two of the pets will fit into that bright acid green and/or red aesthetic.

Faerie's a great theme, there's so many lovely faerie pets, and I bet their bright colours would make them a lot of fun to customize!

And a historical theme also has a lot of options-- chombies and grarrls of any colour, plus you've got the tyrannian, steampunk, relic, elderly and zombie colours to work with, and a couple of the halloween pets look like mummies. It could be like the opposite of your baby account lol.

14 hours ago, berriganify said:

Nice! I'm gonna go check those out! Honestly, themed accounts are great because they make me take a look at pets I would normally never consider. Otherwise I'd probably just have nothing but buzzes and kyriis lol. Admittedly it's still a lot of kyriis and buzzes but I've also got a couple grundos, a ruki, aisha, ixi, mynci, bori, gelert, xweetok and eyrie, most of which I never would have even considered getting if not for having a theme!

Robot/space side are super fun! I have a virtupets-themed side myself (gumbrawler) and it was a wild ride getting the alien and two robots on it. Frustrating at times, but it's probably my favourite account just in terms of visual appearance, because all but two of the pets will fit into that bright acid green and/or red aesthetic.

Faerie's a great theme, there's so many lovely faerie pets, and I bet their bright colours would make them a lot of fun to customize!

And a historical theme also has a lot of options-- chombies and grarrls of any colour, plus you've got the tyrannian, steampunk, relic, elderly and zombie colours to work with, and a couple of the halloween pets look like mummies. It could be like the opposite of your baby account lol.

Originally I had a 'rule' that I wouldn't have the same pet or colour repeated. That was when I only had one account. I quickly chucked this rule out when I got sides and now it's not even present on my main! Two Mara's, three Halloween - plus one with Halloween clothing!

Ooh, the historical side sounds interesting. The Tyrannian Chomby could definitely go on there. I have a Lost Desert Bruce who has an ancient Egyptian feel. My side Ruki could be a Halloween/Royal cross that I was eyeing up a while back - looks really creepy as the Royal clothing looks like flesh. That's definitely one to keep in mind! And I like the idea of it being an opposite to the Baby side!

image.png.71db8008e3949c2d9d8cb069b72e79c8.png

I suppose a cross-paint theme could also be cool!

I don't think I'd have the patience for a robot side though. I enjoyed pottering with the lab ray, but zapping for specific colours is a pain in the bottom! I was going for a Garlic Kiko. Ended up falling in love with the Lost Desert Kiko on route!

7 hours ago, Secre said:

Originally I had a 'rule' that I wouldn't have the same pet or colour repeated. That was when I only had one account. I quickly chucked this rule out when I got sides and now it's not even present on my main! Two Mara's, three Halloween - plus one with Halloween clothing!

Ooh, the historical side sounds interesting. The Tyrannian Chomby could definitely go on there. I have a Lost Desert Bruce who has an ancient Egyptian feel. My side Ruki could be a Halloween/Royal cross that I was eyeing up a while back - looks really creepy as the Royal clothing looks like flesh. That's definitely one to keep in mind! And I like the idea of it being an opposite to the Baby side!

image.png.71db8008e3949c2d9d8cb069b72e79c8.png

I suppose a cross-paint theme could also be cool!

I don't think I'd have the patience for a robot side though. I enjoyed pottering with the lab ray, but zapping for specific colours is a pain in the bottom! I was going for a Garlic Kiko. Ended up falling in love with the Lost Desert Kiko on route!

Oh, I completely forgot about the Desert colour! Yeah, that would fit in perfect. (And now I really want more PBs based on ancient civilizations. Just off the top of my head, Altadorian PB could based on ancient Greece, I'm not sure what RL civilization they based the Lutari off of, but there's another, and I would sell my soul for a PB based on ancient Assyrians/etc or Vikings...) And yes, crosspaint's another excellent theme idea, especially since you seem to be so good at coming up with them! That hallo/royal ruki cross is... actually kind of gross, but in a good way!

Funny, I have the same rule with species, barring a few particular species. Colours, though, I absolutely will repeat lol. I have the same rule with petpets, barring repetition where it makes sense.

26 minutes ago, berriganify said:

Oh, I completely forgot about the Desert colour! Yeah, that would fit in perfect. (And now I really want more PBs based on ancient civilizations. Just off the top of my head, Altadorian PB could based on ancient Greece, I'm not sure what RL civilization they based the Lutari off of, but there's another, and I would sell my soul for a PB based on ancient Assyrians/etc or Vikings...) And yes, crosspaint's another excellent theme idea, especially since you seem to be so good at coming up with them! That hallo/royal ruki cross is... actually kind of gross, but in a good way!

Funny, I have the same rule with species, barring a few particular species. Colours, though, I absolutely will repeat lol. I have the same rule with petpets, barring repetition where it makes sense.

I've got time to consider options. I want to at least make headway with my Mutant side before I start doing anything completely new!

I do love me a good crosspaint. Currently got a Royal Werelupe, a Zombie/Oilpaint Ixi (I honestly just wanted the waistcoat!) and a Hallo/Transparent Hissi.

image.png.c3e62856df6052aa45138e3844563680.png

Definitely want a Hallo/Woodland Bori. Then the gross but cool Ruki that's on my radar. A Koi using the Island bangles was something I was toying with at one point. 

I don't replicate species across my main. But I have have grown lax across my sides. I have two Kiko's - LD and Mara - and both are permies. I have two Ruki's - although, originally I created the second one as a 'twin' to my one to gift to my foster sister. She doesn't really use the site now though. Can't blame her for losing interest when the Flash games died. It was her main entertainment and way of gaining neopoints! My baby and mutant sides are immune to any rules, although I won't duplicate a single pet because... why would you!?

I'd like to say I have the same rule for petpets... but I have a fondness for the Rock. I now have a Woodland and Halloween Rock. I like the Desert, Mara, Christmas, Tyrannian and Valentine Rock. The Christmas Rock is definitely getting used on one of my baby pets. Maybe the soon to be death bunny. It makes sense she'd get coal for Christmas!

6 minutes ago, Secre said:

I've got time to consider options. I want to at least make headway with my Mutant side before I start doing anything completely new!

I do love me a good crosspaint. Currently got a Royal Werelupe, a Zombie/Oilpaint Ixi (I honestly just wanted the waistcoat!) and a Hallo/Transparent Hissi.

image.png.c3e62856df6052aa45138e3844563680.png

Definitely want a Hallo/Woodland Bori. Then the gross but cool Ruki that's on my radar. A Koi using the Island bangles was something I was toying with at one point. 

I don't replicate species across my main. But I have have grown lax across my sides. I have two Kiko's - LD and Mara - and both are permies. I have two Ruki's - although, originally I created the second one as a 'twin' to my one to gift to my foster sister. She doesn't really use the site now though. Can't blame her for losing interest when the Flash games died. It was her main entertainment and way of gaining neopoints! My baby and mutant sides are immune to any rules, although I won't duplicate a single pet because... why would you!?

I'd like to say I have the same rule for petpets... but I have a fondness for the Rock. I now have a Woodland and Halloween Rock. I like the Desert, Mara, Christmas, Tyrannian and Valentine Rock. The Christmas Rock is definitely getting used on one of my baby pets. Maybe the soon to be death bunny. It makes sense she'd get coal for Christmas!

That is a snazzy waistcoat!

Fair enough on taking your time. I kind of have it lucky because I don't really do customization except backgrounds, so I'm able to 'finish' my pets quite quickly. :P It must take forever to come up with those customs, to say nothing of actually gathering all the items up! Especially given how draining trading NC items can be. But they do look nice, in the end! Your mutant draik is still my fave, though!

That's a sweet gesture for your sister, although yeah I can see why she lost interest. Unless you like customization or restocking, people on neopets pretty much have to make their own fun these days!

And idk, I once bought an item from a guy that had 7 alien aishas, so... the option to repeat the same species/colour is definitely there. I wish I'd save his username. Love to go back and check if he's got more now. Also wow that's a lot of rocks! That must be expensive.

25 minutes ago, berriganify said:

That is a snazzy waistcoat!

Fair enough on taking your time. I kind of have it lucky because I don't really do customization except backgrounds, so I'm able to 'finish' my pets quite quickly. :P It must take forever to come up with those customs, to say nothing of actually gathering all the items up! Especially given how draining trading NC items can be. But they do look nice, in the end! Your mutant draik is still my fave, though!

That's a sweet gesture for your sister, although yeah I can see why she lost interest. Unless you like customization or restocking, people on neopets pretty much have to make their own fun these days!

And idk, I once bought an item from a guy that had 7 alien aishas, so... the option to repeat the same species/colour is definitely there. I wish I'd save his username. Love to go back and check if he's got more now. Also wow that's a lot of rocks! That must be expensive.

It is, isn't it!

Oh, I spent way too much time - and real money - doing NC hunting and trading. I could probably get by using the random myriad of items I now have on my main in honesty... but I find more items and then want them. I baulk at the 20+ value items though. Yeah, nope. I will find something cheaper!! I try and stick to 1-2 items now... save the higher items for REALLY wanted customs. People aren't too fussy about 1-2; they'll take GBC, easy trades or custom. They start getting fussy at 3-4 and it gets worse the higher you get. It's best to wait for a really expensive new item - the MME's did me well at 700NC - people who want them but don't want to buy more NC will start to trade their higher end items.

Me on the other hand? I'm a hoarder and I will buy NC if I really want something. So I went from virtually no NC items in 2020 to a full trading list and a fair few 'high end' items. But I consider high end to be 7-10+. I think my 'best' item is the Baby Spring Paint which was 20-25 last I checked. God knows why, it's hideous. I got lucky and pulled that out of a cap... I've now largely stopped playing the cap game though... the chance of random crud is higher than anything that I'd actually want or use.

And yeah, as an 11-13 year old with limited internet time, neopets is now not exactly easy access. You need to be refreshing frequently to restock... which eats up your 120 minutes across all devices and isn't really fun. She never really had a chance to really attach to her pets as she joined... about three-six months before the death of Flash. Events tend to require more time than her access allows - she could have maxed YYB in the time, but would have had to forgo almost everything else. So whereas she enjoyed playing the Flash games, banking the NP and I'd gift her stuff... now it's very, very limited and not fun.

In reality, as an adult now I tend to do Food Club, dailies and restock when I feel like it. I can't see 13, 15, 17, 21 or even 34 year old me being interested in the site as a newbie. I'm here because I love my pets... but it's not really fun anymore.

1 hour ago, Secre said:

It is, isn't it!

Oh, I spent way too much time - and real money - doing NC hunting and trading. I could probably get by using the random myriad of items I now have on my main in honesty... but I find more items and then want them. I baulk at the 20+ value items though. Yeah, nope. I will find something cheaper!! I try and stick to 1-2 items now... save the higher items for REALLY wanted customs. People aren't too fussy about 1-2; they'll take GBC, easy trades or custom. They start getting fussy at 3-4 and it gets worse the higher you get. It's best to wait for a really expensive new item - the MME's did me well at 700NC - people who want them but don't want to buy more NC will start to trade their higher end items.

Me on the other hand? I'm a hoarder and I will buy NC if I really want something. So I went from virtually no NC items in 2020 to a full trading list and a fair few 'high end' items. But I consider high end to be 7-10+. I think my 'best' item is the Baby Spring Paint which was 20-25 last I checked. God knows why, it's hideous. I got lucky and pulled that out of a cap... I've now largely stopped playing the cap game though... the chance of random crud is higher than anything that I'd actually want or use.

And yeah, as an 11-13 year old with limited internet time, neopets is now not exactly easy access. You need to be refreshing frequently to restock... which eats up your 120 minutes across all devices and isn't really fun. She never really had a chance to really attach to her pets as she joined... about three-six months before the death of Flash. Events tend to require more time than her access allows - she could have maxed YYB in the time, but would have had to forgo almost everything else. So whereas she enjoyed playing the Flash games, banking the NP and I'd gift her stuff... now it's very, very limited and not fun.

In reality, as an adult now I tend to do Food Club, dailies and restock when I feel like it. I can't see 13, 15, 17, 21 or even 34 year old me being interested in the site as a newbie. I'm here because I love my pets... but it's not really fun anymore.

Most of my trades have just been 1-2 caps haha, I do not have anywhere near the patience or the RL funds for anything more than that. Kinda makes sense that no one wants caps for anything over 3-4 though, because of the gift box thing, it wastes way less boxes to do a one-to-one trade than sending over twenty items! Idk what TNT were thinks with that (except I guess that it would get them more money).

I don't blame you for getting out of the cap game. It's basically just lootboxes. I've had problems with lootboxes in other games the past (main reason I stopped playing overwatch), where I would spend RL money I didn't have on them. Limited edition stuff was the worst for that, and most of the NC items are limited edition, aren't they? I was lucky in that I only spent about $500 across a few games before I managed to get out, but I've met people who have dropped upwards of $30,000 on them, so now I gotta be real strict with myself about that. It's part of the reason why I've avoided playing around with customization, it would just be waaaay too easy for me to think "oh I'll just spend $20......." and get back into that cycle of spending. Admittedly I did cave and buy some mystery caps a few years ago when I was in the middle of a breakdown, but since then I've managed to keep away and just done trading with what I have for specific BGs, and then only when I can't find a NP item that works.

And the baby spring paint doesn't look terrible on some species. I guess it's maybe more valuable because it's one of the few items that can be worn by babies? And baby is such a popular colour... do you still own it or did you trade it away?

Yeah, younger accounts are really out of luck, aren't they? Except for trudy's, I guess. FC and stocks is the main way I make my NPs, too. And oof, what a time to join. That doesn't really leave much time to get into the site before it all fell apart. I really wish that they would put more effort into getting the games back. They were very much the face of the site, after all. I especially miss kiko match and sutek's tomb, those were my favourite games (so relaxing!), I would play them even when the point scores weren't very favourable. :P And saaaame, I'm pretty much just here because I like the little stories I've made up for my pets. But that's just me making my own fun, and it's really not for everyone.

On 9/6/2022 at 7:01 PM, berriganify said:

Most of my trades have just been 1-2 caps haha, I do not have anywhere near the patience or the RL funds for anything more than that. Kinda makes sense that no one wants caps for anything over 3-4 though, because of the gift box thing, it wastes way less boxes to do a one-to-one trade than sending over twenty items! Idk what TNT were thinks with that (except I guess that it would get them more money).

I don't blame you for getting out of the cap game. It's basically just lootboxes. I've had problems with lootboxes in other games the past (main reason I stopped playing overwatch), where I would spend RL money I didn't have on them. Limited edition stuff was the worst for that, and most of the NC items are limited edition, aren't they? I was lucky in that I only spent about $500 across a few games before I managed to get out, but I've met people who have dropped upwards of $30,000 on them, so now I gotta be real strict with myself about that. It's part of the reason why I've avoided playing around with customization, it would just be waaaay too easy for me to think "oh I'll just spend $20......." and get back into that cycle of spending. Admittedly I did cave and buy some mystery caps a few years ago when I was in the middle of a breakdown, but since then I've managed to keep away and just done trading with what I have for specific BGs, and then only when I can't find a NP item that works.

And the baby spring paint doesn't look terrible on some species. I guess it's maybe more valuable because it's one of the few items that can be worn by babies? And baby is such a popular colour... do you still own it or did you trade it away?

Yeah, younger accounts are really out of luck, aren't they? Except for trudy's, I guess. FC and stocks is the main way I make my NPs, too. And oof, what a time to join. That doesn't really leave much time to get into the site before it all fell apart. I really wish that they would put more effort into getting the games back. They were very much the face of the site, after all. I especially miss kiko match and sutek's tomb, those were my favourite games (so relaxing!), I would play them even when the point scores weren't very favourable. :P And saaaame, I'm pretty much just here because I like the little stories I've made up for my pets. But that's just me making my own fun, and it's really not for everyone.

I think the reason people don't want caps for high end items is that it is so much more difficult to get them back. I can get caps whenever I want (and even before I could stock up at the end of the month. There's no supply and demand issue. Whereas with higher end items, you tend to need to have something someone really wants in order to trade back for them. People will let 2-3 items go for caps, but after that it's item for item. Maybe two 4-5 items for a 10 item at most. The only real exception to this is when big ticket items come out in the Mall - MME's etc. I picked up a lot of my high end wishlist for 1-2 MME's last time the came out!!

I went crazy for the caps originally and regretted all bar the baby one. I still ended up with a lot of items that I didn't want, but baby items trade really, really well so it didn't matter too much. I can't grouch too much as it does mean I have a decent trading list, but way too much money was spent. And that was when I could get 2000NC for $7. Now they've closed that loophole, it's just way, way too expensive. I don't mind biting on the grams providing I like the regular items and I'm not just trying for the bonus item. Got bitten there as well!

I probably ought to check the Baby Spring Paint out on more pets then... I can't remember which one I tried it on but it wasn't an appealing look! I've still got it. It's my 'dynamite option', I guess for if there's ever an item I really, really want that is too expensive for me to get any other way!

And yep, Trudy's, FC, stocks and Jetsam Ace. Trudy's is quick, FC requires and aged account and is quick, stocks are only profitable in the longer term and quick, Jetsam Ace requires you to spend real money and is quick. Re-stocking takes time and is boring! So essentially, there's enough content on the site for ... about an hour a day unless an event is going on. Re-stocking is more time consuming, but it's only profitable if you have the np to burn and the time to burn. And I don't make a huge amount - I tend to haunt the book store, so I make between 300np-2000np an item usually which is slow going. I've never managed to get an 'awesome' re-stock!