Neopets Data Breach Update

hrtbrk

An important update about the Neopets Data Breach was released by TNT earlier today.

They have confirmed that they have successfully patched the security risk and are forcing all users to change their password. 

You will be prompted to do as such upon visiting the website via a password reset request sent to your email. If you do not recall your email address, you will need to submit a ticket. If you type in your username on the reset page and it says it is invalid, make sure you type it exactly as it appears on Neopets- it is case sensitive.

6.png

• Dear Neopians: We wanted to take a moment to provide you with an update since our update on July 20th. As we previously communicated, Neopets was alerted on July 20th to activity indicating unauthorized access by a third party to portions of our IT systems.

Upon investigation, we took immediate steps to shut down further access to the affected systems and we have not seen any unauthorized activity since that time. We reported the event to law enforcement, and began working with external cybersecurity experts to investigate the event and determine what happened and what data was impacted. As a matter of course, we do not collect or store payment information and do not have evidence that it was impacted. Once the investigation has concluded, we will share additional information, as appropriate.

Our team is working around the clock, deploying additional safeguards onto our systems, including enhancing monitoring of our systems, reinforcing our security practices, and actively reviewing systems to enhance security controls and all security protocols. As a reminder, neither Neopets or its employees will ever ask for your login information.

As a precaution, we are taking steps to protect users’ accounts, so when you next visit Neopets, you will be prompted to change your password and we are currently working on adding multi-factor authentication to better safeguard your account access. We appreciate your understanding and patience during this event and are committed to supporting the Neopets community.

We invite you to reach out to us through our normal support channels with any questions or concerns you might have regarding this incident or the security of your account.

7 hours ago, hrtbrk said:

via a password reset request sent to your email.

hrtbrk, I checked through all of my email messages from the last few days and I never received an email from neo requesting me to change my PW. I know I needed to do this but still didn't get a message from them about it. Everything I know about the breach I learned from TDN not neo.

4 hours ago, Angeló said:

They didn't send e-mails.

They log you out while browsing and prompt you to change your PW

That quote came out of hrtbrk's post in reference to the update.

Once you fill out your username it will sent a reset link to your e-mail (The one connected to your account/username). I didn't get any message after login out of my main and login in to my side. So I changed my pw for my sides through the normal Preferences page.

5 hours ago, Granny63020 said:

Yeah. They prompt you to change your password while browsing the site. You put in your username and they send the link to your email .. just like you do when you forget the PW 🙂

but they didn't send any mass emails to people asking them to change their PW

I'm still locked out of my account. 😞 I sent a ticket bc I did change my password yesterday using my phone but couldn't log in today. There goes my Trudy 100k Spin, I was at 1 today!

12 hours ago, Angeló said:

Yeah. They prompt you to change your password while browsing the site.

I don't feel like it was a prompt. I feel more like I was being forced to do something rather I wanted to or not. If nothing else instead of doing things the way they did they could have sent a message saying something like If you don't change your PW by a certain day we well be forced to lock your account until you do so please take a minute to make the necessary changes. I don't like the *we have the power and you will obey method* Doing things the way they did them was wrong and with so many members having to change their PW's at the same time was probably some of the reasons everyone was having so many problems with this. I just feel like the method they chose was wrong, maybe it's just me.

I'm trying not to freak out but I still can't log in to my account- where I guess I placed in the July 31st Caption Contest. Why are they taking so long to help me get back on to my account? 😪 My siblings told me that they can go to my Look Up, so I'm not being frozen.:whaa:

22 hours ago, Granny63020 said:

I don't feel like it was a prompt. I feel more like I was being forced to do something rather I wanted to or not. If nothing else instead of doing things the way they did they could have sent a message saying something like If you don't change your PW by a certain day we well be forced to lock your account until you do so please take a minute to make the necessary changes. I don't like the *we have the power and you will obey method* Doing things the way they did them was wrong and with so many members having to change their PW's at the same time was probably some of the reasons everyone was having so many problems with this. I just feel like the method they chose was wrong, maybe it's just me.

you're right that the massive number of people changing their passwords at once put a strain on their systems. but invalidating all the compromised passwords and requiring people to update them immediately is actually a good move. it lowers the chance of people keeping their old passwords out of laziness.

On 8/3/2022 at 1:56 PM, midnight_spell360 said:

I'm trying not to freak out but I still can't log in to my account- where I guess I placed in the July 31st Caption Contest. Why are they taking so long to help me get back on to my account? 😪 My siblings told me that they can go to my Look Up, so I'm not being frozen.:whaa:

I was wondering where you were! Had sent a couple messages, sorry to hear that, I checked as well and you're definitely not frozen. I know Annie isn't hearing back yet about her side accounts. I had suggested she message them on a social media account as well as some people say that can escalate your ticket. She's also sent a message to them on Facebook as of yesterday. I had also suggested trying to through in that you've spent money on the account if you have premium or have ever but NC as most of the time they don't want to lose what paying customers they have left. 

1 hour ago, Musical_Shoyru said:

you've spent money on the account if you have premium or have ever but NC as most of the time they don't want to lose what paying customers they have left. 

Yeah, you think that someone who buys NC regularly would be treated a little better. I don't understand why they're not sending me the link to make a new password.

Aira, I hope you posted who TKP's August 2022 MOTM is. Sorry but I'm still in the process of moving as my prospective landlord gave my apt. to another person. So scrambling and getting my life together -this has been low on my list of what needs attention. I hope I'll get back on soon, I could use some cheering up.  

3 hours ago, midnight_spell360 said:

Yeah, you think that someone who buys NC regularly would be treated a little better. I don't understand why they're not sending me the link to make a new password.

Aira, I hope you posted who TKP's August 2022 MOTM is. Sorry but I'm still in the process of moving as my prospective landlord gave my apt. to another person. So scrambling and getting my life together -this has been low on my list of what needs attention. I hope I'll get back on soon, I could use some cheering up.  

Yup I got it posted and sent a message about it! I'm really sorry! I'll be praying for ya! If you need to message me ever to talk you can on here or discord!

• 3 weeks later...

Hello TDN Friends, I am still locked out of my main account but am finally got my rl apartment and starting my new rl job as a Writing Consultant for undergraduate students. I didn't get to be an Arabic tutor as UT (probably like most universities) have strict limits on how many hours a student can work. This means I am on campus Mon-Wed-Fri from 9 am to 7 pm but probably won't get students coming for help until Sept. Being on campus this much means I should probably try to get a meal plan bc eating out gets very expensive fast. I am trying to budget but I am still learning. 

Anyway, is there anyone who can help me get my main account back? I put in a couple of tickets and I just don't understand why Neopets or Jumpstart can't give me the email that is linked to my main account? I am so sad over this and very discouraged. Baby (my youngest sister who is married and starting her PhD degree at Boston University) is offering to give her account to me- but I really want my own account-Kokariia is so close to getting a trophy in Gourmet Food Club... gaaahhh! And Neopets keeps charging me the monthly Premium Membership, without helping me get my account back?!!!

I miss everyone but I don't want to "join" TKP through one of my ALP sides or my sister's account. Just so frustrated, I can see why my mom never went back on Neopets after her account was frozen ( she had a really slow computer and got an unusually high score in a new game they had released and decided she was cheating). 😞

10 hours ago, midnight_spell360 said:

Hello TDN Friends, I am still locked out of my main account but am finally got my rl apartment and starting my new rl job as a Writing Consultant for undergraduate students. I didn't get to be an Arabic tutor as UT (probably like most universities) have strict limits on how many hours a student can work. This means I am on campus Mon-Wed-Fri from 9 am to 7 pm but probably won't get students coming for help until Sept. Being on campus this much means I should probably try to get a meal plan bc eating out gets very expensive fast. I am trying to budget but I am still learning. 

Anyway, is there anyone who can help me get my main account back? I put in a couple of tickets and I just don't understand why Neopets or Jumpstart can't give me the email that is linked to my main account? I am so sad over this and very discouraged. Baby (my youngest sister who is married and starting her PhD degree at Boston University) is offering to give her account to me- but I really want my own account-Kokariia is so close to getting a trophy in Gourmet Food Club... gaaahhh! And Neopets keeps charging me the monthly Premium Membership, without helping me get my account back?!!!

I miss everyone but I don't want to "join" TKP through one of my ALP sides or my sister's account. Just so frustrated, I can see why my mom never went back on Neopets after her account was frozen ( she had a really slow computer and got an unusually high score in a new game they had released and decided she was cheating). 😞

You can try posting your ticket number and detailing your issue on the Highway to Help topic on Help Chat or you can send them a DM on Twitter/Facebook with your ticket number if you have that. 

Or do all three. 

360, I miss you so much! I hope this is resolved soon. 

midnight_spell360

members  of TKP have asked if anyone has heard from you.  Is there a message that you would like me to post on your behalf to the guild?

If so you can either put it here or in a private message  on TDN. If not that's OK too but I wanted to make you the offer to post a message for you.

You are missed by everyone with Angelo and me being at the top of that list. You touch so many with your kindness and caring nature. We all hope your account gets back to you soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Just popping on to say that Alice finally helped me get back my main account and I deeply appreciate all of your help. support, and suggestions. Let's hope no one has to go through a forced exile from their Neopets account/Neopets. 😞

Thank you everyone!!!