TDN vs r/neopets

Singledwish123

Hi! Longtime TDN-er and recently joined r/Neopets, and I'm curious about any cultural differences or opinions people seem to have about using one or the other, or both.

Their attitude of "Don't talk about us on Neopets" and "The place to be without fear or scorn by TNT!" is very interesting. Is that a joke or is it more that they're unhappy with the direction Neopets is going in? Genuinely just curious! 💕

10 hours ago, Singledwish123 said:

Hi! Longtime TDN-er and recently joined r/Neopets, and I'm curious about any cultural differences or opinions people seem to have about using one or the other, or both.

Their attitude of "Don't talk about us on Neopets" and "The place to be without fear or scorn by TNT!" is very interesting. Is that a joke or is it more that they're unhappy with the direction Neopets is going in? Genuinely just curious! 💕

The main difference is what you can say. Neopets is very strict on language, outside events and outside sites. You can't mention Reddit, Discord, Facebook etc on Neopets without fear of a ban. You can mention approved sites like TDN and Jellyneo.

Language is obvious - no swearing on neopets, but Reddit doesn't care. Note to the wise - don't swear here either. It's not as strict as Neopets on outside events/sites but swearing is off limits.

Neopets also bans all mentions of things like mental health, pregnancy etc. Entertainingly, if you get pulled up on it you;ll get a neomail telling you to talk to a trusted adult. Never mind the fact that most of us are now meant to be that trusted adult!

8 hours ago, Singledwish123 said:

This makes a lot of sense! I like that TDN is so wholesome, even though it's mostly trusted adults (?). Neopets is a safe space without being baby-ish. There doesn't really seem to be a strong sense of community on there too vs familiarity and regular convo here.

If you're around for the Altador Cup this year join a team and go into the forums - I was Team Maraqua last year and the community spirit on the team page was quite something. I know Shenkuu has a few fans here as well!

I think TDN strikes a far better balance than neopets does. There's no frankly ridiculous filter so you can't say words like cucumber and basement. There's a recognition that we are adults and whilst this should be kid friendly place, there's no censorship of real life events or personal milestones. Neopets is too far the other way and seem to have no recognition that the vast majority of their players are now adults with jobs, homes, families and possibly kids of their own to share the site with. There's no need to ban topics providing they are kept clean.

2 minutes ago, Angeló said:

i don't like the r/neopets .. I go there once a week or so but i feel people there are conceited ... they call it "reddit luck" and i never got any of that

Oh, 'Reddit luck' annoys people on Reddit as well, no doubt about that!! I have it as a followed community, but I'm not very active there at all.

10 hours ago, Secre said:

I think TDN strikes a far better balance than neopets does. There's no frankly ridiculous filter so you can't say words like cucumber and basement. There's a recognition that we are adults and whilst this should be kid friendly place, there's no censorship of real life events or personal milestones. Neopets is too far the other way and seem to have no recognition that the vast majority of their players are now adults with jobs, homes, families and possibly kids of their own to share the site with. There's no need to ban topics providing they are kept clean.

I agree. I've had a lot of amazing conversations here about mental health, loss, joy, everything. Neopets itself does have a lot of strict rules, plus most of the user-to-user interfaces are slow and outdated. And a lot of Reddit just gives me bad vibes, though r/veronicamars is pretty cute.

I'll definitely be more active in Altador Cup this year! I'm Chinese so, naturally, my kid rebellion logic scoffed at Shenkuu and was Terror Mountain all the way growing up. Now I'm Team Shenkuu, though I'm obviously aware of how problematic and sometimes just racist Shenkuu as an idea is. Shenkuu lore/items/clothes/petpets are pretty appropriative, any use of the words "oriental" and "exotic" are so gross and cringe, and it's just sort of stereotypical in a way that comes from lack of cultural specificity/trying to fit a bunch of Asian cultures into one fictional place.

But I love a lot of the design of Shenkuu food. Hands down the most delicious-looking Neopets cuisine, and a lot of the dishes have real-life names and look true to their real-life equivalents. You can tell a lot of love and care went into that aspect.