Robot Color w/ Lab Ray

Singledwish123

Hi! Hope your week is going well!!

I wanted to ask: Has anyone here successfully turned their Neopet into a Robot Neopet using the lab ray? I've been going the Secret Laboratory with my Ogrin for many months now, not every day but at least a few times a week, and absolutely no luck!

I've used so many Yellow Ogrin Morphing Potions to turn them back to an Ogrin when necessary, and I don't play Battledome so I don't mind the stats changing, I don't mind the gender being toggled either. Just would like a Robot Ogrin because they look sooo sick. My other pets: I have a Steampunk Techo, a Mutant Poogle, an Elderlygirl Kau, a Baby Techo, and a Maraquan Yurble.

(What was that event where you could change your Neopet's color for free? Is that a yearly thing?)

TLDR: No luck with Lab Ray, tips on getting a Robot Ogrin?

I know it's possible, I've had several robot zaps over the years! But it is rare, very rare! If you have premium you can change your pet's color yearly I believe but as I never have had premium I don't really know the details. Other than that, there is the Holiday giveaway but there are so many that apply each year that the chances of you getting the pet/color that you asked for are very slim. But it's worth it to participate, you never know!

• 4 weeks later...

@Singledwish123

The lab ray is all about chance and luck I fear.

For the species colour change, that's a Premium perk and yes, you can do it once a year. There are two possible ways to do it;

1. Get the colour pet you want in a different species. This is only really helpful if you can buy the pb or mp though so won't help for Robot. It works well for Mara pets for instance, as the PB is expensive but the Buzz MP is 900k or so. You then choose to change species and the paint job moves with it. So my Mara Buzz would become a Mara JubJub for instance.

2. Find a colour that your wanted species does not have. This is easier for some species than others but you're in luck with the Ogrin as there are a few non-existant colours and some of them are cheap. So ignoring lab only colours you have Biscuit, Candy, Glowing, Gold, Halloween, Invisible, Marble, Oil Paint, Pastel, Sketch, Silver, Speckled, Split, Steampunk, Strawberry, Toy and Woodland. You immediately want to discount the expensive ones. The cheapest is probably Glowing or Speckled I think? Followed by Split then Biscuit and Sketch. But after that you're into hundreds of thousands and then rapidly into millions.

Having picked one, you find a pet in that colour. So say we're doing Glowing, I see Aisha has a Glowing version. I pick up a morphing potion, change my pet to an Aisha and then paint it Glowing. I then go the Premium Perk Species Change and ask it to change my pet back to an Ogrin. Because there is no Glowing Ogrin, it gives me the opportunity to pick what colour I would like. I pick Robot. You then have a Robot Ogrin!

This gets more expensive if you want a pet with all or most of the colours. At that point you may have to go with the fruit Chia (not Strawberry as most pets have strawberry!) and it'll cost you a bit more as you will need to morph to a Chia (around 500k for the cheapest) and then buy a Magical Chia pop (again, around 500k for the cheapest).

Hopefully that helps!

(Note; you can buy one month of Premium, use the perk and then not renew. So you don't have to pay for a long running subscription to get the perk.)

4 hours ago, Secre said:

@Singledwish123

The lab ray is all about chance and luck I fear.

(Note; you can buy one month of Premium, use the perk and then not renew. So you don't have to pay for a long running subscription to get the perk.)

Thank you for this! I am totally willing to spend as many NP as I have, but unfortunately still not ready to spend human money. Plus I'm sure it'll be all the more satisfying that one day when it just happens for me!

16 hours ago, Singledwish123 said:

Thank you for this! I am totally willing to spend as many NP as I have, but unfortunately still not ready to spend human money. Plus I'm sure it'll be all the more satisfying that one day when it just happens for me!

No worries. I've done it twice now, once for my MSP and once for my Mara Kiko. I have Premium anyway though for the extra pet spaces and SSW so it was a no brainer for me!

• 7 months later...

Oof, that's awful luck! I mean, it is kind of a sunk cost, isn't it? What if it's the next zap, and all that? And let me tell you, as someone who's gotten that zap twice now, it's definitely worth the wait. Zapping is a fun journey, not a quick hop from A to B. And if you're into customization, you collect a lot of neat clothing on the way!

Do you have other pets you want to zap instead, particularly for a lab exclusive? If not, then you are essentially 'wasting' your zaps if you don't use them... so you might look at it like that to make it a little easier. (Plus, imagine how frustrating it would be to get Robot... on a different pet!)

But if you're really furstrated, you might try and trade for one on the pound chat, although you'll need a pet to trade. And this is only if you don't care about using a specific name.

Edit: So I just looked it up via my forum posts and zapping my robot buzz took approximately 1,351 days, or 3 years, 8 months, and 12 days. Give or take a hundred or so when I wasn't able to log in.

So, uh, 83 days or 1351 days is... quite the range lol

1 hour ago, berriganify said:

Oof, that's awful luck! I mean, it is kind of a sunk cost, isn't it? What if it's the next zap, and all that? And let me tell you, as someone who's gotten that zap twice now, it's definitely worth the wait. Zapping is a fun journey, not a quick hop from A to B. And if you're into customization, you collect a lot of neat clothing on the way!

Do you have other pets you want to zap instead, particularly for a lab exclusive? If not, then you are essentially 'wasting' your zaps if you don't use them... so you might look at it like that to make it a little easier. (Plus, imagine how frustrating it would be to get Robot... on a different pet!)

But if you're really furstrated, you might try and trade for one on the pound chat, although you'll need a pet to trade. And this is only if you don't care about using a specific name.

Edit: So I just looked it up via my forum posts and zapping my robot buzz took approximately 1,351 days, or 3 years, 8 months, and 12 days. Give or take a hundred or so when I wasn't able to log in.

So, uh, 83 days or 1351 days is... quite the range lol

Haha exactly! Tomorrow could be the day? I'm all set for right now on all my other pets/their colors, so I've just been zapping the one, so it's extra slow going 😞 the stubborn part of me wants to get it without having to chase it and the rational part of me- no it's mostly the stubborn part rn. my birthday passed and i totally forgot so was offline but i heard there's some sort of birthday boon? does it increase the chance of the lab ray changing your color? bc then that's only like almost a full year away! 🙂

And good to know the time frame, now I can tell people I have a 3 year life plan!

and just thanks for this all ❤️ glad to know everyone else suffers the same sufferings and such

@Singledwish123 I've never heard of that birthday boon! I've heard that certain zaps are supposed to be more common at certain times of the year (namely Halloween and Christmas) but nothing about that. A quick editorial search doesn't bring up anything, so I have a feeling both rumours are just that, rumours, or maybe coincidental bias or whatever it's called when you notice things more when you're looking for them.

Best of luck either way, robot ogrins are very snazzy!