Sites Not Opening

Angeló

Today all of a sudden I started having problems with Brave and Chrome :
Avast would tell me Brave issuer certificate has expired
Chrome wouldn't open sites like TDN and JN , saying your connection is not private
Is this a problem with my laptop / connection or are others experiencing this as well ?
Thx for any help possible
I switched to Pale Moon and it's working fine.
P.S I'm on Win 7 , HP dv5

Untitled.pngimage.png.1cd9f911c8945557a1adf6fe38d1ddb9.png

Untitleds.png

I'm on Firefox and not having any problems (but I haven't installed the latest update yet, both FF and my windows were telling me to restart for updates and I tend to snooze the restart messages for a few weeks). Now I might hold off on the update a little longer to be sure.

FF is working perfect

There's something wrong with Chrome

I called my ISP and they said I should re-program my router

I went to the center near my house where my friend works and he said i can program it for you (on Monday) but it has nothing to do with it ..

@Scoobert_Doo do you have any idea ? I tried all the fixes

I fixed Avast Anti-Virus (and disabled it but the problem persisted)

when i post the link to Proxysite.com , it works

Whenever I manage to open a site it gives me this warning

What does certificate invalid mean ?

Untitledsa.png

7 hours ago, Angeló The Enabler said:

Untitledsa.png

https://thedailyneopets.com/dailies works fine for me (Firefox with the latest update on Windows 10). Sorry you're having problems, Angelo. Maybe uninstall and reinstall your browser?

9 hours ago, Angeló The Enabler said:

Untitledsa.png

That is just because the address typed isn't a https address, so it's not very secure. Most sites nowadays have converted their address to an https adress. In the past http was more common. The dailyneopets is using a https address though, so if you fill in the address as @TryVegan4TheAnimals typed it, it should work without any warnings.

3 hours ago, TryVegan4TheAnimals said:

Angelo. Maybe uninstall and reinstall your browser?

I did that :(

2 hours ago, Duma said:

That is just because the address typed isn't a https address, so it's not very secure

yes , it is https ... please refer back to my screenshot ... also they have been working fine until this morning !

I'm having issues too, since Wednesday night, it won't load any pictures in TDN or Jellyneo, I'm getting the ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT error in Chrome when I try to get access to Neopets (I know it's not quite the same issue but it seems to have to do with Stackpath) when I tried to access the Stackpath website, I get the same error, and it won't load Neopets, and it's not my computer as I tried another computer I have, and the same thing happens on it, Stackpath's website did mention they were doing updates, so they might be blocking some things, I hope they get it fixed soon, I e-mailed my internet provider too and I don't use a router. 

and I am running Windows 7 on my home computer as well

Edited by bonnie_morrison
had to update reply

I just found a post which indicates it might have to do with missing certificates on your computer, or with your computer having an incorrect date. (Although it's weird that it's not happening on all browsers.)

Not sure if either of those things could be the case for you - you'd think neither of those things would randomly happen, but my own laptop definitely resets the date/time occasionally (when it's not supposed to), and I've had issues with my work laptop that I traced to a missing CA certificate (even though I'm certain it was there before), so it might be worth looking into.

(Also - and I'm guessing you know this already - support for Windows 7 ended on January 14, 2020, which does mean your computer is more at risk for bugs/security issues, so while I doubt it's related to your current issue, it might be worth looking into upgrading to Windows 10 - even though I totally understand preferring Windows 7.)

Edit: Here's a website that has some suggestions for fixing this error on Chrome.

I tried to access that site and it gave me the same time out error, I switched to my work computer for a minute which runs Windows 10 and it gives me the same message, it does seem to have to due with a security issue, either with Stackpath or certain secured sites, I also tried different browsers and cleared the SSL state in IE, does the same thing and my date and time on my computer is correct.

5 hours ago, bonnie_morrison said:

I tried to access that site and it gave me the same time out error, I switched to my work computer for a minute which runs Windows 10 and it gives me the same message, it does seem to have to due with a security issue, either with Stackpath or certain secured sites, I also tried different browsers and cleared the SSL state in IE, does the same thing and my date and time on my computer is correct.

Which site are you referring to ? the one Nielo posted with the fixes ? it's good to know I'm not alone ...

5 hours ago, Nielo said:

you'd think neither of those things would randomly happen

It did happen randomly ! I was using them fine at night ... woke up in the morning and this happened ! Tried all the fixes , except the one with CMD cuz I don't understand it ... too complicated for me

I hope it's just a Stackpath bug and it'll be back to normal soon ...

9 hours ago, Angeló The Enabler said:

I did that 😞

yes , it is https ... please refer back to my screenshot ... also they have been working fine until this morning !

I thought it was red because it wasn't https and your browser wanted it to be https. My bad. And then I have no clue anymore either. 😞

3 hours ago, Angeló The Enabler said:

Which site are you referring to ? the one Nielo posted with the fixes ? it's good to know I'm not alone ...

It did happen randomly ! I was using them fine at night ... woke up in the morning and this happened ! Tried all the fixes , except the one with CMD cuz I don't understand it ... too complicated for me

I hope it's just a Stackpath bug and it'll be back to normal soon ...

TDN uses certificates from "Let's Encrypt!" JellyNeo may, too, but I'm not positive. Yesterday, the "DST Root CA X3" certificate expired (30 September 2021). That root certificate was used by "Let's Encrypt!" when they first started, and root certificates are used in/by web browsers to trust other certificates issued by them. For example, TDN gets a certificate from "Let's Encrypt!". Your web browser has the "DST Root CA X3" certificate installed. Therefore, your web browser will "trust" TDN's certificate, because of the "DST Root CA X3" certificate. Here is information from "Let's Encrypt!" about their certificate expiring, which was intended:

https://letsencrypt.org/docs/dst-root-ca-x3-expiration-september-2021/

The Brave browser is derived from Chrome, and, now, so is Microsoft Edge. Your Windows PC has a centralized certificate store. Chrome uses that certificate store, instead of having its own. The "DST Root CA X3" is most likely in your Windows centralized certificate store. (I just checked, and it is in mine). Because the certificate is expired, is why Brave and Chrome give those error messages.

On the other hand, Firefox doesn't use Windows centralized certificate store. It uses its own certificate store, built into Firefox. Because Pale Moon is a Firefox derived browser, it does the same. If you look in Firefox, you will most likely find the "DST Root CA X3" certificate in there. However, Firefox, also, has the new "ISRG Root X1" certificate installed, where my Windows PC certificate store doesn't. Because it has the new certificate, is why the sites work in Firefox and Pale Moon.

The issue was supposed to be transparent, meaning sites were not supposed to "break" (except for older devices) after 30 September 2021, but that doesn't appear to be the case. Well, they didn't for Firefox. Your Windows PC should receive an update, with the updated certificate. Or, at least, that's what I believe will happen. Until then, this site has an explanation and fix:

https://www.stephenwagner.com/2021/09/30/sophos-dst-root-ca-x3-expiration-problems-fix/

The "fix" may not be clear. Right now, it is late, for me, but I will post instructions tomorrow on how to install certificates in Windows. Hope this helps.

If you are on Windows 10, check to see if there are any Windows Updates available. Mine just found one. I'm currently downloading and installing it. I'll see if it fixes the issue after a reboot. If it does, I'll post to let everyone know.

By the way, TDN's "Let's Encrypt!" certificate is still valid/not expired. If you are receiving the "not secure" message, it is due to the "DST Root CA X3" certificate being expired.

@Scoobert_Doo you always have the solution :D

btw , I never update my Win7 anymore .. I don't really bother since the support ended

If I am to update my Win7 now it'd probably take a whole day downloading 

I'm going to wait for your explanation .. so I can fix it myself without having to download Win7 Updates

And with the economic crisis my country is having, I can't afford a new laptop with newer Windows anymore

@Angeló The Enabler My Apologies. You did state you have a Windows 7 device. Which is why I shouldn't post, late at night, when I am tired. And, for whatever reason you need Windows 7, I understand. Just be careful on the 'Net. So, here is how to get the "new" certificates and how to install them in Windows:

1. Go to https://letsencrypt.org/certificates/.

2. Under "Root Certificates", "Active", "ISRG Root X1", where it shows "Self-signed:", click on the link for "der". When asked, if using Firefox, click "Save File".

3. Under "Root Certificates", "Active", "ISRG Root X2", where it shows "Self-signed:", click on the link for "der". When asked, if using Firefox, click "Save File".

4. Under "Intermediate Certificates", "Active", "Let's Encrypt R3", where it shows "Signed by ISRG Root X1:", click on the link for "der". When asked, if using Firefox, click "Save File".

5. You should now have three (3) files saved in Firefox's "Downloads" - isrgrootx1.der, isrg-root-x2.der, and lets-encrypt-r3.der.

6. In Firefox's "Downloads", click on the isrgrootx1.der file. If you receive a "warning" message, click "OK". If you receive another "warning", from Windows, click "Open".

7. If you see this: image.png.1fb51edaf6e3bbedd1b3608581c9ccbc.png click the "Install Certificate..." button.

8. Select "Local Machine", and click "Next". Windows should ask for "admin" permissions. Click "Yes", when prompted.

9. Select "Place all certificates in the following store" and click the "Browse" button. Click on "Trusted Root Certification Authorities" and click "OK", and then click "Next.

10. Click "Finish". You should then see a pop-up that the certificate was successfully installed.

11. Repeat steps 6 through 10 by going back to Firefox's "Downloads" and clicking on the isrg-root-x2.der certificate.

12. Go back to Firefox's "Downloads" and click on the lets-encrypt-r3.der certificate.

13. Repeat steps 6 through 10, but, for step 9, select "Place all certificates in the following store", and when clicking the "Browse" button, click on "Intermediate Certification Authorities".

14. If you have Brave or Chrome open, close them. Open them, and see if TDN and JN now open/display properly.

If you still have problems, or if my instructions sound confusing, please post.

For Windows 10, my computer had the "2021-09 Cumulative Update Preview for Windows 10 Version 21H1 for x64-based Systems (KB5005611)" in Windows Update as an optional install, which I told it to download and install. It did require a reboot, and, after it rebooted, I noticed the "ISRG Root X1" certificate was now present in my Windows Certificate Store. So, as I expected, Microsoft did "fix" the issue with an update. However, the steps I provided work with Windows 7 and Windows 10.

@Scoobert_Doo Thank you for the explanation

I did all the steps and it said "import successful"

I restarted my laptop

But the problem is still the same

Also Brave is still being blocked by Avast

😞 😞 😞 😞 😞

Items.Jellyneo opened after about half an hour , and the certificate says the following

image.png.f9709212a9caa39d4a2eb774a37fdc4b.pngimage.png.fabad3cc3f63933129cab2b1995dda6b.png

Untitled.png

I just tried it too, and it's still happening with me as well, not loading images in thedailyneopets or jellyneo, and still getting a connection timing out error in all browsers, I sent a message to Neopets via twitter and they said to e-mail [email protected] who in turn told me to go to this jumpstart link to file a ticket, but I cannot load the link either, it just gives me some box that asks me to try a bunch of other jumpstart games and a white page behind that that shows links to a bunch of sites but no support into, there is one for neopets classic but when I click on that, it just takes me to the same jumpstart page that I first got.

the only thing I haven't tried is a system restore, will try that and see if that works

had to update reply

16 hours ago, Angeló The Enabler said:

@Scoobert_Doo Thank you for the explanation

I did all the steps and it said "import successful"

I restarted my laptop

But the problem is still the same

Also Brave is still being blocked by Avast

😞 😞 😞 😞 😞

Items.Jellyneo opened after about half an hour , and the certificate says the following

image.png.f9709212a9caa39d4a2eb774a37fdc4b.pngimage.png.fabad3cc3f63933129cab2b1995dda6b.png

Untitled.png

You may need to try clearing Brave's and Chrome's history and cache. If it still doesn't work, you may need to delete the "DST Root CA X3" certificate from Windows 7 certificate store. To do so:

1. On you keyboard, hold down the Windows key and hit the "R" key (Win + R). It should bring up the "Run" window.

2. In the text field, type, without the quotes, "certlm.msc", and click the "OK" button.

3. Click "Yes", if prompted, as it is asking for "admin" rights.

4. On the left side, look for "Trusted Root Certification", and click on the >, to expand it. Click on the "Certificates" folder.

5. On the right side, scroll down and look for the "DST Root CA X3" certificate. Click on it, to highlight it. It should look like this:

image.png.97f0bcba96f6c558f225d6134d739092.png

6. Either click on the red "X" above, or hit the "Delete" key, on your keyboard, or right-mouse click on it, and select "delete". Click "Yes", when prompted. It is just letting you know it is a root certificate.

7. Reboot your device. If you haven't cleared Brave's and Chrome's history and cache, do so. After clearing, close and reopen them, and try TDN and JellyNeo again.

As for Brave being blocked by Avast, I'm not sure about that, and it could be a different issue.

@Scoobert_Doo certlm.msc didn't work but I managed to open with certmgr.msc

I deleted the certificate and restarted , cleared cache + cookies

Same problem

I opened the pathway again and the certificate is back

I tried deleting it 3 times and every time I open the website it comes back

😞

20 hours ago, Angeló The Enabler said:

@Scoobert_Doo certlm.msc didn't work but I managed to open with certmgr.msc

I deleted the certificate and restarted , cleared cache + cookies

Same problem

I opened the pathway again and the certificate is back

I tried deleting it 3 times and every time I open the website it comes back

😞

@Angeló The Enabler My apologies for certlm.msc and not certmgr.msc. I should have known. A bit rusty with Windows 7, as I don't use it anymore. Looking more into this, I found that the "DST Root CA X3" certificate is also located in the "Third-Party Root Certificates". So, if you still have the download "ISRG Root X1" and "ISRG Root X2" certificates, repeat steps 6 through 10, but in step 9 place both certificates in the "Third-Party Root Certificates". Once both have successfully installed, reboot, and try the sites, again.

@Scoobert_Doo

That didn't work either :(

Actually before I installed the certificates in the Third Party it was a bit better , sites were displaying the security warning but i would click advanced and open them , despite the red warning .. now they're back to ERR_TIMED_OUT

19 hours ago, Angeló The Enabler said:

@Scoobert_Doo

That didn't work either 😞

Actually before I installed the certificates in the Third Party it was a bit better , sites were displaying the security warning but i would click advanced and open them , despite the red warning .. now they're back to ERR_TIMED_OUT

See if this Let's Encrypt! site shows as being secure, with Brave and Chrome:

https://valid-isrgrootx1.letsencrypt.org/

I'm hoping it will get sites working for you, again, with Brave and Chrome, on Windows 7.

I was told by our IT person at work, it was a DNS issue with a hub in Toronto that sends security and encryptions from US based websites to the rest of Canada, I'm also working with my ISP on this, if you're not in the US, it's happening randomly to people in other countries and related to this international hub, I really do hope they get it fixed soon, it's annoying.

the system restore didn't work and that website is showing as a secure site, on a side note some websites that I use on my work computer (I work from home right now so uses same connection) that use security verification were slow to load or timing out as well, our IT person thought it might be my connection speed, but as I told her, I was able to access everything just fine until last Wednesday.

***on another side note, I found another article on the TDN forums that mentioned what neopets ip address was to try loading the site by ip address, I actually got to a white screen that said log in, sign up, terms of use, not sure if this is an old page as it's white and has no graphics, but at least it's partly loading that, so it's sounding more and more like a DNS issue, but if anybody else has a different ip address for neopets that I could try, that would be great

had to update reply

13 hours ago, bonnie_morrison said:

I was told by our IT person at work, it was a DNS issue with a hub in Toronto that sends security and encryptions from US based websites to the rest of Canada, I'm also working with my ISP on this, if you're not in the US, it's happening randomly to people in other countries and related to this international hub, I really do hope they get it fixed soon, it's annoying.

the system restore didn't work and that website is showing as a secure site, on a side note some websites that I use on my work computer (I work from home right now so uses same connection) that use security verification were slow to load or timing out as well, our IT person thought it might be my connection speed, but as I told her, I was able to access everything just fine until last Wednesday.

***on another side note, I found another article on the TDN forums that mentioned what neopets ip address was to try loading the site by ip address, I actually got to a white screen that said log in, sign up, terms of use, not sure if this is an old page as it's white and has no graphics, but at least it's partly loading that, so it's sounding more and more like a DNS issue, but if anybody else has a different ip address for neopets that I could try, that would be great

You can try http://23.96.35.235 for Neopets IP Address. Are you using any VPN connections?

so is there nothing else we can do except sit and wait ?

i was able to load a streaming website yesterday which i couldn't before (with the not secure https on top)

but TDN is still refusing to load , at all :D