Happy Buzz Day!

hrtbrk

yessss! maracite buzz is one of the colours that i've been waiting for, and it's lovely!!

(i do agree though that the wings would probably look better without the outline)

edit:

i got the paintbrush i offered on!

doideag.png.7694d63f2a8f74bf1cd001ae38bb5267.png

so i went ahead and painted doideag! she's my first pet painted in 2021! 🥰 and the wings actually look very nice when they're on a nonwhite background!

On 1/15/2021 at 6:11 AM, berriganify said:

yessss! maracite buzz is one of the colours that i've been waiting for, and it's lovely!!

(i do agree though that the wings would probably look better without the outline)

edit:

i got the paintbrush i offered on!

so i went ahead and painted doideag! she's my first pet painted in 2021! 🥰 and the wings actually look very nice when they're on a nonwhite background!

She looks lovely! You made a wonderful choice!

On 1/15/2021 at 1:11 PM, berriganify said:

and the wings actually look very nice when they're on a nonwhite background!

YES! They really do!

Time and time again this turns out to be the case, doesn't it. :D

On 1/15/2021 at 7:11 AM, berriganify said:

Yeah, you're right! I retract what I said about the wings earlier, cause they look great here. I quite like the overall design when it's not on the plain background.

I like the patterns on the Marachite and whilst I agree that the wings look 'off' on a white background, I really like how the darker background makes them fir so much better.

Less said about that outfit the better though.

2 hours ago, berriganify said:

going by the colour scheme and the collar i think it's based on sami clothing?

It certainly looks that way doesn't it. If I'd created this outfit I'd have made the trim on the bottom of the top a separate belt, so the top (and the belt) was more useable, but TNT don't seem to think that way, sadly.

19 hours ago, berriganify said:

going by the colour scheme and the collar i think it's based on sami clothing?

Says how culturally incompetant I am that I thought it was a rather poor sailors outfit. I'm ummm go and sit in the corner now!

2 hours ago, Secre said:

Says how culturally incompetant I am that I thought it was a rather poor sailors outfit. I'm ummm go and sit in the corner now!

Look at it this way; how many people other than a Brit would know a Welsh costume if they saw one? Or a Pearly King/Queen's? It's all relative. :3

18 hours ago, Secre said:

ah, that wasn't a snub or anything. just letting you know. tnt does seem to be doing a lot of traditional clothing recently

and actually i had to spend a while on google doublechecking my hunch because the hat threw me off, i hadnt seen that type before

21 hours ago, jellysundae said:

Look at it this way; how many people other than a Brit would know a Welsh costume if they saw one? Or a Pearly King/Queen's? It's all relative. :3

True that! In fairness... I'm not sure I'd know a Welsh costume... Irish and Scottish yes, but all the Welsh family I have just dressed like English folk!

5 hours ago, berriganify said:

ah, that wasn't a snub or anything. just letting you know. tnt does seem to be doing a lot of traditional clothing recently

and actually i had to spend a while on google doublechecking my hunch because the hat threw me off, i hadnt seen that type before

Don't worry - I didn't take it as a snub! 

2 hours ago, Secre said:

True that! In fairness... I'm not sure I'd know a Welsh costume...

I suspect you might, you just might not have realised what it was you were seeing, do these look familiar? I had one of these dolls as a kid, souvernir of a week spent in a caravan in Wales; and yes, it rained pretty much the entire time. lol.gif

image.png.89ef47f93b2e004f37a0a811dc0b2a54.png

The welsh traditional costume seems to be one of the more practical ones; lots of hard-wearing and insulating Welsh wool going on there, and a hat that's nowhere near as ridiculous as a lot of the ones you see. x'D

I wonder where the red dye came from though... that's a really bold colour, not the kind of stuff you get from lichens and moss and so on, let us ask the Goog!

AHA!

image.png.cd0ab08f54e7803f93e6374594a91e5a.png

*snorts*

image.png.176cec493798b1a18cbf67b2c3d4b4bc.png

This seems to be implying that small red garments scare the French. lol.gif

2 hours ago, jellysundae said:

I suspect you might, you just might not have realised what it was you were seeing, do these look familiar? I had one of these dolls as a kid, souvernir of a week spent in a caravan in Wales; and yes, it rained pretty much the entire time. lol.gif

image.png.89ef47f93b2e004f37a0a811dc0b2a54.png

The welsh traditional costume seems to be one of the more practical ones; lots of hard-wearing and insulating Welsh wool going on there, and a hat that's nowhere near as ridiculous as a lot of the ones you see. x'D

I wonder where the red dye came from though... that's a really bold colour, not the kind of stuff you get from lichens and moss and so on, let us ask the Goog!

AHA!

image.png.cd0ab08f54e7803f93e6374594a91e5a.png

*snorts*

image.png.176cec493798b1a18cbf67b2c3d4b4bc.png

This seems to be implying that small red garments scare the French. lol.gif

Oh yes, now that rings bells. I remember my grandma had those dolls. Along with a collection of gollywogs that my mother inherited... I used to play with hours with those. I will likely keep them when the time comes... but far down in the depths of a drawer as oh boy, the racism is definitely strong there!!

You know, my main titbit of information about the Welsh comes from my grandfather and I am going to have to be VERY careful how I phrase this or the mods will have me. So, you know there is an ongoing joke about the Welsh and inappropriate relations with livestock? Well, there's actually a reason for that according to my very Welsh grandfather. Way back in the mists of time, the penalty for poaching a sheep in Wales was hanging. But - and here's the kicker - the penalty for ummm... more sordid activities was merely a night or two in the stocks. So when wiser poacher got caught trying to poach a sheep, he would pull his trousers down and confess to the other crime in order to escape the death penalty.

And there you go; my fact of the day!!

2 hours ago, Secre said:

Along with a collection of gollywogs that my mother inherited... I used to play with hours with those. I will likely keep them when the time comes... but far down in the depths of a drawer as oh boy, the racism is definitely strong there!!

Gosh I know, right? I have a Robertson's Jam badge that I've had since I was little, the golly's playing football. *roots about online*

image.png.0c557ecf0acc3a1ecd4f49dccdf3ebb6.pngone of these. That example being sold for 75 quid! These are 50s vintage, I guess someone gave it to my mum to give to me, or she found it somewhere, LOL, because why get a footballing badge for a little girl? Especially as it wasn't a new thing. I always thought that was weird, even at that age. xD But they're definitely not something any decent person would wear now.

The sheep thing...

*poker face*

lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif

4 minutes ago, Angeló said:

Adam and Donna were trying to teach us all about cultures in the early days of Neopets ...

So they were!

image.png.fa258b0d00f6b016d2d0c1a0ef366c8e.png

WAIT A MINUTE!!!

Adam's Welsh! That's why. :D

2 hours ago, jellysundae said:

Gosh I know, right? I have a Robertson's Jam badge that I've had since I was little, the golly's playing football. *roots about online*

image.png.0c557ecf0acc3a1ecd4f49dccdf3ebb6.pngone of these. That example being sold for 75 quid! These are 50s vintage, I guess someone gave it to my mum to give to me, or she found it somewhere, LOL, because why get a footballing badge for a little girl? Especially as it wasn't a new thing. I always thought that was weird, even at that age. xD But they're definitely not something any decent person would wear now.

The sheep thing...

*poker face*

lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif

So they were!

image.png.fa258b0d00f6b016d2d0c1a0ef366c8e.png

WAIT A MINUTE!!!

Adam's Welsh! That's why. :D

I never realised the Gollys might be valuable... I’ll have to get permission to rummage in my parents room next time we’re allowed to meet people. I know there were at least 15, maybe 20-25 in the collection. I used to line them up and play schools with them. Then again, I did that with clothing pegs when I couldn’t find anything else!!

I loved those little Golly’s... it wasn’t until many years later that I became aware of the controversy regarding them. Considering my mum was a teacher at an almost entirely black school, it would never have occurred to me they could be problematic!!

And yeah, I’m a count of useless information.

Like the old law where you could kill either a Welshman or a Scot with a longbow on a fleece market on Sundays in one town. They apparently got around that by not holding fleece markets on Sundays rather than officially repealing the law.

On 1/23/2021 at 7:20 AM, berriganify said:

i've always wondered how those sorts of items work in the neopets lore. does neopia have a wales somewhere or something?

I don't think there's anywhere on Neopia that could be Wales, really; it'd need mountains which Neopia has; but rain, lots of rain, rather than snow other than on the high peaks, and many sheep ofc! Neopia doesn't have the green hills and valleys landscape that Wales does (other than in Neoquest). Also, road signs with the English names spray-painted out, and milk churns stacked on the corners of hairpin bends to make getting holiday-makers cars towing caravans around them so much harder :axehead: it was the '70s when we had those holidays in Wales, I don't know how anti-English the general feelings are there these days, but the Welsh then most definitely still saw us as invaders. :bigeyed:

I think it's only a few items from Adam's era that are of Welsh origin, like the lava bread and Welsh rarebit that I've spotted on JN. There's food from all over the world on Neopets though, isn't there, so that's nothing unusual, the usuki dolls though... gonna trawl through them and check something out!

*dives into JN*

OH! It could also explain why the faeries give you so much for leeks at the employment agency? :laugh: I wonder how many other countries have a vegetable as their nation emblem. xD

*surfaces again*

Right! I ordered the usukis by release date, as I wondered if the Welsh dolls would be the only ones that referenced RL countries, but there is also this one.

image.png.249dbee9a31e0a609f54231e8390e330.png I mean there's these too, but no name's mentioned image.png.597af77d65e0582c461021dde0472f15.pngimage.png.7ace151292214f32edefcb3c7549269b.png

TNT also re-used the Welsh doll in 2017 for this bizarre offering. image.png.09ed8231755be72d6e7aa668406f2c66.png What the heck?? X'D

JN says the Usikicon poster was orginally a Pokemon poster awarded from a sponsored game, but it was changed later.

image.png.9487ef224c5ef190be3cad629003e2a6.png

I wonder if they did that with all sponsored items that showed a branded product? I suspect they did. On whose behest though; theirs or the company involved... it's gonna have been for legal reasons though, right?

8 hours ago, jellysundae said:

TNT also re-used the Welsh doll in 2017 for this bizarre offering. image.png.09ed8231755be72d6e7aa668406f2c66.png What the heck?? X'D

wales is on the vss it all makes sense now.

probably legal reasons! i wouldn't be surprised if whatever contracts they drew up didn't account for the items sticking around after the brand deal ended.

On 1/23/2021 at 11:19 PM, berriganify said:

wales is on the vss it all makes sense now.

Ooh, what does this mysterious sentence mean? 😮

On 1/23/2021 at 11:19 PM, berriganify said:

i wouldn't be surprised if whatever contracts they drew up didn't account for the items sticking around after the brand deal ended.

Pretty cool to have had a Pokemon deal that early on though!

That'd be a really esoteric gallery theme idea... items that were other items until their promotion run ended. xD

On 1/23/2021 at 4:46 PM, jellysundae said:

I wonder if they did that with all sponsored items that showed a branded product?

YES they did ... once the rights to a real life sponsor deal ran out they changed the items .. they had a whole McDonald's line that was changed 

A tasty snack from McDonalds.A tasty snack from McDonalds.A tasty snack from McDonalds.What a great deal!Thirst quenching such a shame really 

I first noticed it when this item showed up in my gallery Deluxe Popstar in a Box instead of this one  Play the great new Whats Her Face game on Neopets today! 

16 hours ago, jellysundae said:

Ooh, what does this mysterious sentence mean? 😮

it means that the entire country of wales is on the virtupets space station. just a bad joke lol

that would be a cool gallery idea! probably very expensive, though, since most of those items are really, really old.