MacBook Pro running so slow

Hi guy,

I have a 2012-era MacBook Pro. Yeah, I know that's ancient. Thing is, she still works beautifully. 4 years ago, I unfortunately knocked a drink across it. $800 later, I had a basically new MacBook Pro. New hard drive, keyboard, track pad, almost all the internals had to be replaced. Now...it's starting to run REALLY slow. I don't game on it, I barely use it. I mainly use it to blog and write. I recently wiped it all and started over, but that didn't seem to help. Does anyone have any suggestions that don't include dropping $2k on a new one? Because I want a new one but I need other things more.

Thank you

I have the same computer. I had one from 2012ish to 2015 it became super slow and then the hard drive crashed, so I had it replaced and by early 2017 needed to replace the laptop. I then hunted for another refurbished 2012 and since about the beginning of this year it's been super slow. What i have learned is that I can't get a mac pro to last more than roughly four years before replacing the hard drive, and I think that that's fairly common? 

I haven't yet but i've been meaning to take it in and upgrade the hard drive to SSD, i think it's called? I don't want to have to replace either as they are phenomenally expensive and it seems so silly to have to buy a new one every four years! Anyhoo, you could try changing the hard drive again, or just taking it in to a computer shop to diagnose. I'm in Australia and I was told to try a couple of places that basically do what you've done, wipe it, upgrade the hard drive and then put everything back on. Hope that helps? As you can probably tell, I am no massive computer person!

It might be a memory or a RAM issue too. When my Macbook was having issues and kept crashing, my sister recommended I try Memory Clean - Free Up Memory from the App Store and see if that helped. That's what she used when her Mac Mini was acting up and it helped a lot. It's free on the App Store.

Another thing you could try which is a long-shot, but maybe run an antivirus scan just to be on the safe side that nothing weird got in.

Hopefully you don't need to replace yours. Mine ended up completly crashing on me and it would cost more for repairs than it was worth. Luckily, I had warranty still so I was given enough money to get a 21.5" iMac in 2014. I wanted another Macbook but they were more money than the iMac and I couldn't afford the difference at the time.

We recently bought my husbands parents a refurbished iMac 27" from about 2010, before they went with the thinner screens. We got a good deal on it for them so there are some out there if you need to invest in another one but can't get a brand new one.

• 2 months later...
If you have problems with your computer, then most likely you need to contact a wizard.
 Perhaps, to speed up your computer, it will help you to clean the C drive.
 Or you are not using your computer to the maximum, you should check the manual for it.

• 10 months later...
  • Duma locked this topic