Why do people do it?

Secre

I was Pound surfing for a well named pet to start zapping - before I found a page of well named pets stuck in the pound (http://www.neopets.com/~Kylinth if anyone is interested) - and I can't help but be baffled at the number of abandoned pets with appalling names. Why bother creating a pet with an utterly poor name only to abandon it?? I have pets with poor names, but they have sentimental value to me so I wouldn't be trying to trade them anyway. 

Some examples currently sitting in the Pound:

43wrtgfhdsg

JoseCarlosdaFonseca

Jose_Lupe_Cuervos

kiki_12345679__bia

_fire1_fire1_67

asasd_asasd_2_2

AS123jjjjj

chelsea97541486

No idea but if I have to guess people get bored. They create a pet and sometimes it is hard to come up with a name and all the good ones are taken....so I think they just come up with anything. Then they get bored, get rid of the pet and start over again.

Lately what I have been doing to try and help some of these poor souls. Is adopting them, zapping them with the lab ray until I get a cool color and then putting them back in the pound to get adopted and hopefully loved. 

6 minutes ago, iheartsaku said:

No idea but if I have to guess people get bored. They create a pet and sometimes it is hard to come up with a name and all the good ones are taken....so I think they just come up with anything. Then they get bored, get rid of the pet and start over again.

Lately what I have been doing to try and help some of these poor souls. Is adopting them, zapping them with the lab ray until I get a cool color and then putting them back in the pound to get adopted and hopefully loved. 

That's my current plan, although with only one lab ray access I'm starting with well named pets that are stuck in the pound. I'll eventually pick up a second lab ray for another side and I'll likely pick up less well named pets on that one and see if I can't get them adopted as well.

I get the struggle to create names, but some of these are clearly one person creating variations on one name and then pounding the lot which just seems ridiculous!!

3 hours ago, Secre said:

JoseCarlosdaFonseca

Jose_Lupe_Cuervos

Those are great names :D 

Lots of kids use the auto name generator on Neopets and end up with a name that can't be pronounced .. or sometimes they just create a random pet for an avatar

I really can't understand the fascination with bad names 

26 minutes ago, Angeló said:

Those are great names :D 

Lots of kids use the auto name generator on Neopets and end up with a name that can't be pronounced .. or sometimes they just create a random pet for an avatar

I really can't understand the fascination with bad names 

Hah! I thought they were horrendous!

But hey, even my worst named pet - tdub1002 - wasn't named through the auto name generator. Nope, I made up that monstrosity all by myself!

7 hours ago, Secre said:

That's my current plan, although with only one lab ray access I'm starting with well named pets that are stuck in the pound. I'll eventually pick up a second lab ray for another side and I'll likely pick up less well named pets on that one and see if I can't get them adopted as well.

I get the struggle to create names, but some of these are clearly one person creating variations on one name and then pounding the lot which just seems ridiculous!!

I didn't realise how many people cared about "good" names until I joined TDN. Or that people would create pets with the specific purpose of painting & pounding them. It had never occurred to me that people put so much value on a pet's name, to be honest. And when it comes to "bad" names, I think a lot of people simply don't care that much about names; and the link between naming a pet and pounding a pet is kind of lost on me - I assume many people create pets and don't assume they'll pound them later on. (At least, that's how I've always played Neopets. I've never pounded a pet and don't think I ever will.)

And I agree with @Angeló, I think those are good names, so I'm wondering what exactly it is that makes you hate them so much? XD

15 hours ago, Nielo said:

I didn't realise how many people cared about "good" names until I joined TDN. Or that people would create pets with the specific purpose of painting & pounding them. It had never occurred to me that people put so much value on a pet's name, to be honest. And when it comes to "bad" names, I think a lot of people simply don't care that much about names; and the link between naming a pet and pounding a pet is kind of lost on me - I assume many people create pets and don't assume they'll pound them later on. (At least, that's how I've always played Neopets. I've never pounded a pet and don't think I ever will.)

And I agree with @Angeló, I think those are good names, so I'm wondering what exactly it is that makes you hate them so much? XD

I'm more conscious of names now than I was as a child - hence tdub1002 - although I'm less concerned if I know I'm going to be keeping them as a permie as then the name just needs to mean something to me. Looking for a pet to grab from the pound for re-adoption, I was more concerned with the potential for re-adoption and pets have more of a chance if they are one word, properly capitalised and pronounceable. 

I think with those two names in particular they are long winded with too many compound parts.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I always thought those were made up by really little kids. When I first started playing waaaay back as a 8/9 year old, I’m sure all of my pets were filled with numbers and underscores and misspellings, probably because there was a certain name or word I really wanted to name it but it was taken. However the REALLY horrendous ones like gibberish or all numbers is confusing for sure, I couldn’t say what’s going through people’s minds on those. 

• 1 year later...

I wish pets like that would be deleted from the game. lol

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Duma) because of a violation of the forum rules.
Please do not bump topics that are no longer relevant, please create a new topic.
Per the reason above, this topic has been LOCKED.

• Duma locked this topic