Neopets freezes when logging in

sarkalark

I'm using Internet Explorer 11. When I view the site without logging in I can play Flash and Shockwave games. 

Problem occurs when I go to log into my account the page freezes. It loads up so I can see the top menu, my active pet, etc. But it's completely stuck. I get a banner on the bottom saying it is not responding and the option to "Recover webpage". My browser doesn't completely freeze. I can open a new tab. And when I go back to Neopets in another tab, I'm not logged in. 

I think this is because Neopets is no longer supporting IE. Maybe it's freezing because of the customization stuff linked to accounts, but when I'm not logged in, I can still play games. How can I find out what's going wrong, and if it's possible to fix it? 

I'm hoping to be able to play - and send scores - for the Shockwave games. Hopefully TNT will update all of the games including the Shockwave ones in the future. 

Try a different browser and put on uBlock Origin.

Over the past few days, browsers have been freezing because there are over 20,000 ads attempting to run PER PAGE. Adblock Plus does not work but uBlock Origin does. 

While I agree with the suggestions of trying a different browser (with this being the final version of IE, more and more things will inevitably stop working on it; speaking as a developer, testing if things still work in IE tends to have a very low priority), but perhaps it's related to the new beta version of Neopets, since they're moving from Flash to HTML5. It's possible you're not seeing that when you're not logged in. Not sure why it'd log you out though. But there's a small chance HTML5 isn't enabled in your browser, so if you really want to keep using IE, you could check if this is the case. This page shows which steps you need to take to enable it.

7 hours ago, Secre said:

Have you tried using a different browser? I'm ok on Chrone, Firefox and Edge but I don't play shockwave games, only flash.

Yes, I use Opera, but I can't figure out how to get Shockwave to work in Opera. 

2 hours ago, hrtbrk said:

Try a different browser and put on uBlock Origin.

Over the past few days, browsers have been freezing because there are over 20,000 ads attempting to run PER PAGE. Adblock Plus does not work but uBlock Origin does. 

Wow! 20,000 ads per page? I will look into uBlock Origin, thanks. It seems like something to try. Unfortunately it looks like my account has been frozen. So I can no longer worry about logging in to play games! (For anyone wondering - No, this happened before I was frozen.)

2 hours ago, Nielo said:

While I agree with the suggestions of trying a different browser (with this being the final version of IE, more and more things will inevitably stop working on it; speaking as a developer, testing if things still work in IE tends to have a very low priority), but perhaps it's related to the new beta version of Neopets, since they're moving from Flash to HTML5. It's possible you're not seeing that when you're not logged in. Not sure why it'd log you out though. But there's a small chance HTML5 isn't enabled in your browser, so if you really want to keep using IE, you could check if this is the case. This page shows which steps you need to take to enable it.

I tried a bunch of different browsers to get Shockwave to work. Firefox, Edge, Chrome, Safari, Netscape. I am hoping that TNT gets *ALL* of the games converted to HTML5 eventually anyhow. 

As you are trying to play Shockwave games, unfortunately, Internet Explorer is, pretty much, the only option available, as it is the only browser that still supports the Shockwave plugin, with one exception, as I will explain, below. Opera is based on Chrome, and Chrome dropped the Shockwave plugin, back in 2015. So, Opera may not support Shockwave. Edge never did. Unfortunately, too, as others have mentioned, with Neopets being converted to HTML5, IE doesn't work really well with HTML5. Although it supports it, it may not support the newest HTML5 standards. Most websites will tell you to use a different browser, if using IE, as they say it isn't supported anymore, or "out-of-date".

I haven't tried IE on Neopets for some time, but the last time I tried, the "Games Room" didn't work properly, meaning I couldn't see all of the items, and games links would cause my PC to "freeze". So, I just tried, and although I was able to login, Neopets keeps "not responding", with IE, just like it is happening to you. Even though I stated Chrome no longer supports the Shockwave plugin, there is an extension called "IE Tab", for Chrome, that allows you to view pages with Chrome, but using the "IE engine", and allows Shockwave to be "used", within Chrome. However, it suffers the same fate, as it is using IE to display the Neopets pages. In Chrome's case, it just "freezes", and I have to "End Task" it.

Only other option, for a Windows PC, is to use the last version of Safari for Windows. It can still be found on the 'Net. I just installed it, as I had a copy from a while ago, on Windows 10, 2004 (May update), and it works. Please note, however, that Apple hasn't supported Safari for Windows, since 2012. Using an old, outdated browser can put your computer's security at risk, so use at your own risk! Same with using an old, outdated plugin, like Shockwave.

I, too, hope they convert the 8 Shockwave games. For now, if on a Windows PC, the last version of Safari for Windows seems to be the only way to play them.

EDIT: I use ABP (Ad Block Plus) and it is now blocking the ads. I believe Neo fixed the issue. I know, too, most prefer uBlock Origin over ABP.