Well, that's how item inflation happens!

Secre

So, I was going through my SDB to see if there was anything worthwhile in there amidst the junk I'm collecting for Charity Corner. I came across the Foil Covered Chocolate Altador Cup Trophy and whistled happily as I put the three that I'd got in my shop at the cheapest Super Shop Wizard price:

image.png.1be348b4daa58d60533c8dbc48bd5123.png

I then checked Jellyneo and though, oh they'll never sell. Three months ago they were less than 3000np. Figured I'd leave them in there for now and just keep checking the price to see if it went back down.

image.png.14606d94f3bcb3b8cdf19bb16327d5e6.png

Within 24 hours all three were gone. As indeed were every other item on the SSW. And now the only item listed?

image.png.6b075ed3d30bab68f850406c96823e74.png

Names removed to protect the party concerned.

Certainly looks like someone's up to something there, doesn't it!

Though, this is an old item, that nearly a million price now... that may be in the shop of an inactive account? It might have been sitting gathering dust for nearly 10 years.

Having said that there's one on the TP for a million... I find it interesting that JN doesn't have an inflation warning on it, but they only know if people report stuff to 'em I suppose, they're not omniscient. xD

34 minutes ago, jellysundae said:

Certainly looks like someone's up to something there, doesn't it!

Though, this is an old item, that nearly a million price now... that may be in the shop of an inactive account? It might have been sitting gathering dust for nearly 10 years.

Having said that there's one on the TP for a million... I find it interesting that JN doesn't have an inflation warning on it, but they only know if people report stuff to 'em I suppose, they're not omniscient. xD

Nope, it's the same account that bought it from me yesterday on SSW at least - I just removed the username to prevent any fallback on the individual as it's a perfectly legal tactic, if a little underhanded!! I don't want to be the cause of someone receiving hate neomail or something daft!! The highest on SSW yesterday was 220,000np or something like that. The lowest before I put mine in were 97,000np and 99,999np, so I undercut by a smidgeon of the lowest price. There were seven in total I think before I put mine in?

The last price JN have on it is from March so perhaps they haven't checked it since? I wouldn't know how to go about reporting an item to them!! 

*edited as I'd got the lowest prices wrong!

17 minutes ago, Angeló said:

i have zero of this item 

what AC tournament is it from ?

AC VI by the looks - which makes sense as I only reached rank 4 that year and it was one of the lowest tier prizes - it was worth a hefty 25 points, so I could afford to buy a few! I admit, the only other real gems I have so far found in my SDB are the Volgoth Action Figure, currently going for 90,000np the Autographed Yooyuball (staff signatures) going for a nice 299,990np and the No Longer Stranded In The Desert going for a whopping 799,998np. I then ran out of space in my shop so I have several pages to go, but I don't really expect to find much else to excite my interest!

13 minutes ago, Angeló said:

i have zero of this item 

what AC tournament is it from ?

I dunno, lol, but it's a 2011 item.

41 minutes ago, Secre said:

I wouldn't know how to go about reporting an item to them

me neither xD Let us investigate! It makes sense that there'd be something on the item page...

Ah, here we are, suggest price change.

image.png.8b0c742185cdff1958541352a487730b.png

So if you decide to get suggestive with JN...

image.png.68b8b5bc26c9f85e7cd690dcf5895ee7.png

So there you go! 🙂

Yeah, the people who do this on neopets are cut from the same cloth as the people who went round buying up all the hand sanitiser then flogging in on Amazon at 500% mark up, aren't they... actually they could very well be the exact same people. xD

10 minutes ago, jellysundae said:

Ah, here we are, suggest price change.

image.png.8b0c742185cdff1958541352a487730b.png

So there you go! 🙂

Yeah, the people who do this on neopets are cut from the same cloth as the people who went round buying up all the hand sanitiser then flogging in on Amazon at 500% mark up, aren't they... actually they could very well be the exact same people. xD

I was being blind, it was right in front of me.

I admit, I just snapped up another prize priced at 10,000np when everything else on the SSW is 160,000np and above... I'm not normally quick enough to snipe, but I'll take it when I see it!!

I'm noticing this a lot. I'll get an offer on something on the TP and it's items that seem too good to be true, worth a million -- then you look at the history and see a week ago they were a few thousand. Got caught once; not again. Bit shady since if you do fall for it then try to resell what they gave you, there's no way you'll do it.  Not reportable but not nice.

a similar thing happened to xweetok transmogrification potions last winter. i had been watching the trading post for a couple months last fall and they tended to waver between 1-2m, and then when i hit my savings goal and went to buy one... all of the ones on the trading post were listed at 8m by the same seller! which like... my buddy, my dude... no amount of calling it a "~~XWEETOK DAY SPECIAL SALE!!!~~" is going to suddenly make it not blatant price gouging 

i dont know if anyone actually fell for it, but it was annoying that i had to wait for the price to settle back down to normal so i could buy one

(price gouging/profiteering is the name for it btw, inflation is when the price of everything rises, usually because of an influx of raw currency, like what happened to gaia online)

18 hours ago, enitul said:

I really have no idea how inflation works. So I'm seriously impressed with people who know when to sell what, how to sell it and the little details with changing prizes and such. :D

I'm the same normally - it only caught my attention because it seemed odd that the same individual had bought all three items!!

11 hours ago, jaydeed said:

I'm noticing this a lot. I'll get an offer on something on the TP and it's items that seem too good to be true, worth a million -- then you look at the history and see a week ago they were a few thousand. Got caught once; not again. Bit shady since if you do fall for it then try to resell what they gave you, there's no way you'll do it.  Not reportable but not nice.

I think with items like past prizes, the price is less likely to go down again, but yes, it might take a fair while to sell! For items that currently restock at shops though, you'll very quickly find that the item reverts to its initial price and your investment is loooooong gone!

6 hours ago, berriganify said:

a similar thing happened to xweetok transmogrification potions last winter. i had been watching the trading post for a couple months last fall and they tended to waver between 1-2m, and then when i hit my savings goal and went to buy one... all of the ones on the trading post were listed at 8m by the same seller! which like... my buddy, my dude... no amount of calling it a "~~XWEETOK DAY SPECIAL SALE!!!~~" is going to suddenly make it not blatant price gouging 

i dont know if anyone actually fell for it, but it was annoying that i had to wait for the price to settle back down to normal so i could buy one

(price gouging/profiteering is the name for it btw, inflation is when the price of everything rises, usually because of an influx of raw currency, like what happened to gaia online)

Oh the Xweetok Transmog Potion. That brings back bad. Bad. Memories. I got one in an RE when I was young and foolish and didn't know the way of the world. I put it in my shop for 99,999np because that was the highest that was allowed. I still kick myself for that one to this day! I'll be old and in a nursing home and not able to remember what day of the week it is, and I'll still remember that particular moment...

At least with items that restock or appear in RE's the price will eventually flatten - with retired prize shop items, it's difficult to know how many are available to be on the market at all.

And yep, thanks - I knew there was a specific term for it but couldn't remember it to save my life!

Ha, @berriganify yeah there's a big difference between inflation, and artificial inflation, isn't there. There's always gonna be a small percentage of any population who are scumbags and will rip others off at the drop of a hat. :O/

I do hope none of the neo people who go in for profiteering own a RL business... >_>

image.png.b5abd59865cc3c132708a48feabd7384.pngimage.png.91efac1abfae49e50678450adcc7817c.png

I've been coveting this item for a while ... but even when it was 5 Mil I couldn't afford it 

Now ... however ... this guy wants 35 Mil for it (he wanted 50 Mil originally but has been lowering the price since no one is biting ... and there's another guy selling it so I asked him how much and he said as much as the other dude is selling it for 😮

image.png.a179b1f8eb8fc1351e1afa79829b2315.png

On 6/25/2020 at 4:54 PM, Angeló said:

image.png.b5abd59865cc3c132708a48feabd7384.pngimage.png.91efac1abfae49e50678450adcc7817c.png

I've been coveting this item for a while ... but even when it was 5 Mil I couldn't afford it 

Now ... however ... this guy wants 35 Mil for it (he wanted 50 Mil originally but has been lowering the price since no one is biting ... and there's another guy selling it so I asked him how much and he said as much as the other dude is selling it for 😮

image.png.a179b1f8eb8fc1351e1afa79829b2315.png

Ouch! That's rough! Hopefully if he can't sell it at that rate, then it will keep on edging it's way down!!