Let's Talk About Mental Health

Singledwish123

•  
  • vZr-XsglAc6J84pZXaKuEA2mFX5kaSwUhKoJzFk8

hi y'all!

mental health awareness month is over, but it's never not a good time to talk about it!

neopets has for a long time been a way for me to destress and distract from anxiety and negative thoughts. taking care of my neopets is a reminder to take care of myself. it brings me joy and a sense of fulfillment and accomplishment. 😊

neopets has lots of stuff that i consider to be relevant to or referential of mental health topics. examples are the grey paint color and the mood status of your neopet and maintaining it. 🤔

what do you think? how do you think about mental health? does neopets play into that in any way? what features of neopets seem to deal with mental health issues?

love 💕

It's been my observation that Neopets slips a lot of real world issues/events into its site:

Mental health/Depression: Grey Paint Brush

World Cup: Yooyuball

Academy Awards: Neopies

I'm sure there's more I can't think of right now.

I think Neopets is great at expressing real life problems or ideas. Sure, it's filled with magical creatures and things like that, but it really shows that there are responsibilities in life, like taking care of your pets like they were kids, or the dailies that show there's work to be done in the real world. Perhaps it's not fully intentional, but it really shows you what the world's like.

For the Grey Color on pets, it shows what can happen if you forget your responsibilities, or maybe even showing you what it's like if you don't take care of YOURSELF. Either way, Neopets is kinda like a helper for me, since I like to take care of my pets and it makes me feel a little better about myself. I like this topic, it really brings out serious problems, so thank you for starting this conversation! 

1 hour ago, GlitchtaleLover said:

I think Neopets is great at expressing real life problems or ideas. Sure, it's filled with magical creatures and things like that, but it really shows that there are responsibilities in life, like taking care of your pets like they were kids, or the dailies that show there's work to be done in the real world. Perhaps it's not fully intentional, but it really shows you what the world's like.

For the Grey Color on pets, it shows what can happen if you forget your responsibilities, or maybe even showing you what it's like if you don't take care of YOURSELF. Either way, Neopets is kinda like a helper for me, since I like to take care of my pets and it makes me feel a little better about myself. I like this topic, it really brings out serious problems, so thank you for starting this conversation! 

I agree completely with the responsibilities! I started when I was like 10, learning to save through the bank and daily interest. There's stock trading and jobs that you have to complete within a time period. It's not like Club Penguin, which you can neglect and come back to whenever. You are rewarded for keeping up with your pet's health, happiness, and finances!

18 hours ago, WhiteWolf said:

It's been my observation that Neopets slips a lot of real world issues/events into its site:

Mental health/Depression: Grey Paint Brush

World Cup: Yooyuball

Academy Awards: Neopies

I'm sure there's more I can't think of right now.

Oooh! Good point! I mean, your pet gets smarter for reading more, and certain healthy foods will make your Neopet more full than sugary snacks. As for events/features:

Charity Corner is a sort of food drive/donation event thing that teaches you to be generous when you have enough to be generous.

Cap'n Threelegs' Swashbuckling Academy or the Mystery Island Training School are kind of like investing in education/private school.

The Neolodge is kind of like a pet hotel/pet boarding that teaches you to make sure your pets are taken care of if you have to go away and can't take care of them personally.

• 1 month later...

Obviously everyone’s anxiety is different and affects us in different ways but here are some things I do that help me personally -

-a hobby! i love to bake so if I’m feeling a bit anxious, I will bake! a hobby takes your mind off your worries and that’ll help calm your anxiety!

-fresh air. it sounds silly but distancing yourself from people and just going for a walk really does help!

-write down the worst possible outcomes of the situation youre worried about. once you see them on paper, sometimes you realise that they really aren’t worth worrying about!

-consult a GP or therapist. reaching out for help is really difficult but once you receive that support, it will really benefit you! Your GP may prescribe you antidepressants , read about side effects on Canada Drugs

• Duma locked this topic