Neopets is dying isn't it?

Sinvanor

So many flash games haven't been repaired in nearly a year or more. So many things are broken. I can't do a lot of the dailies because they just don't work either by not loading right or buttons not working. Did they just give up? No one should be paying their monthly VIP for such a broken site.

Eh, people have been saying Neopets is dying since 2010. I like to say it's undead :P

As for games/dailies not working, your browser is most likely disabling flash by default, but it should have an option to enable it, so try looking for it.

Also, you might wanna read this.

It's not dead until they shut the site down, and maybe try a different browser. You should be able to play all the games and do dailies. I love how in any game be it online or mmo, site etc, there is always that hand full of people who starting going. "This game is dead." I swear if I had a dollar for every time said that about Guild wars 2 or final fantasy 14 i'd be so rich.

2 hours ago, Coco said:

It always surprises me how long online communities are able to stay alive and active. A friend of mine brought up Gaia Online and when I went to check it out, there were still updates being posted! Browser-based games have a longer "shelf life" than mobile apps, funnily enough. 

HOLY COW! I used to play Gaia online, so much. I completely forgot about that site, I'm glad to hear it's still going.

8 hours ago, Coco said:

It always surprises me how long online communities are able to stay alive and active. A friend of mine brought up Gaia Online and when I went to check it out, there were still updates being posted! Browser-based games have a longer "shelf life" than mobile apps, funnily enough. 

I recently got back into Gaia Online, actually. 

I like to think Gaia, and Neopets isn't dying. User bases can dwindle at times -- but there's still more than enough activity on both to not be considered dead IMO.

Gaia's managed to hold on because of its size, I think, the smaller avatar sites have dwindled as interest fell away with people getting sucked into social media. Gaia maybe has a large enough amount of players for there to be enough people willing to shell out for the cash items to keep it going. It entirely overwhelms me if I log in there now, it's like Las Vegas, my MS-addled brain can't deal with it.

*looks at home page*

image.png.8aa21aedcf6bd9213de163a4f742b608.png

That's a telling figure, though let's be fair, a lot of people are asleep right now, but I remember that number needing a zero on the end.

And when people say Neo's economy is insane... LOL!

image.png.9ce2f09164ba1858c7f07ceb897184a0.png

The last time I did log in and collected the Daily Bribe I'd shut the box down before my brain caught up and realised what the amount had been and I was flabbergasted. 😅 (that's a great word, people should use it more)

My girl is cute though, and I still think she's cute.  Though she's had those clothes on for 10+ years so you might not want to get too close. xD

image.png.9dccac66da1a50020df5bcbca4e1cdfc.png She's my second account ( out of 10 😆), I lost access to my main so she stepped up, yep there's still a little salt lingering about that even though I've got no interest in the site any more, lol.

*backs hurriedly out of gaia* Yeah, more than a few minutes is more than I can handle there!

I'm QUITE sure there's people on Gaia who constantly bemoan it being dead too. Just like the people on Neo they're comparing it to its prime in the Noughties when both sites were positively seething with activity. It was Gaia that that drew me away from Neopets actually! The guild I was in set up on Gaia because it was SO much better for communicating. Separate threads for separate topics?! 😮 It was like a miracle! Then we got sucked in by how fun dressing an avatar was as Neo didn't have customisation at that point.

Very glad that I came back to Neopets though, and glad that it's actually having a bit of a renaissance because of the current global situation. 🥰

It's not dead (at least before 31 Dec 2020). Many things are still do-able once you enable flash on your browser.

For the HTML5 conversion/mobile app, tbh I am not so confident about the transition. (any more news from the Premium Users invited for the beta testing?)

Even if it happens, I bet it will be a crappy process like how the lag persisted for years when they relocated the servers from Viacom to Jumpstart back then in 2014.

But still I hope Neopets can survive for many many more decades, for it has been, is, and will always be playing an important part in my life. 

good points all of you made.

I like to think of it like this: just because a game's prime time is over doesn't mean it's done and over with. while I think neo could still get popular again with today's kids if a serious overhaul would be made (not just a conversion to HTML5 but general declutter and refresh fot the whole site. probably pretty pricy too), it is just not living up to it's potential right now. and still - the core player base is there. it's insane how fast one of the NC items was sold out last year during some item pool renewal! as soon as it was restocked they were gone, it took me like a week to hunt one down, and those were hundreds of items everytime :D so my point is, is neo still one of the most popular games out there? no. is there still countless players that have stuck around for decades and will gladly do so for many more? absolutely. is this the definition of a 'dead game'? don't think so 🙂 

4 hours ago, alohadiscordia said:

good points all of you made.

I like to think of it like this: just because a game's prime time is over doesn't mean it's done and over with. while I think neo could still get popular again with today's kids if a serious overhaul would be made (not just a conversion to HTML5 but general declutter and refresh fot the whole site. probably pretty pricy too), it is just not living up to it's potential right now. and still - the core player base is there. it's insane how fast one of the NC items was sold out last year during some item pool renewal! as soon as it was restocked they were gone, it took me like a week to hunt one down, and those were hundreds of items everytime :D so my point is, is neo still one of the most popular games out there? no. is there still countless players that have stuck around for decades and will gladly do so for many more? absolutely. is this the definition of a 'dead game'? don't think so 🙂 

Don't forget the nostalgia factor, too! 😉  Even if these former long-time players didn't stick around, there's always a part of them that comes back even for a brief period, especially after someone brings it up out of the blue. That's what happened to me twice now, first when Chrissy Teigen tweeted about it and then another film journalist I followed did the same thing. And all those memes about people saying they learned HTML and how stocks worked through Neopets? Those kinds of memes can trigger memories in people that people are happy to revisit and maybe even relive. 🙂 

2 hours ago, Rayd1978 said:

I mean, we're all dying, that doesn't mean there aren't years and years ahead.

Well said, ray, well said skeith_clap.gif

Nothing more needed, really. smiley.gif

• 3 weeks later...

I think the site has a different member base now - whilst a lot of players have fallen to the wayside, there are a significant amount of members who log in for nostalgia and the member base is probably ten to fifteen years older than it once was on average.

The site still mostly works for me although it took me a long time to figure out how to enable flash, I admit. The only things that really don't work are minor aspects like the Splat a Sloth. There are definitely less people on the site - that shows in the game scores and how much easier it now is to get trophies. But there's still a significant following I think.

Without an overhaul, I suspect the site will just keep on limping along. If they get rid of flash and bring it into the modern age it could have another run though easily. The basis is all there.

• 1 month later...

I've been noticing that most players (or at least the ones that are more active on neoboards and forums) are older, that are in for the nostalgia.

I've been on and off from neopets for the past 15 years or so, with periods of being obsessed, to years offline. But the thing I love the most is that each time I come back there's a new thing that I want to explore (or that I discover altogether).

I wasn't very confident they would update and revamp the website, but I'm getting more and more confident by the minute and can't wait to see what they'll manage to pull through until December!

15 hours ago, anapm.agostini said:

I wasn't very confident they would update and revamp the website, but I'm getting more and more confident by the minute and can't wait to see what they'll manage to pull through until December!

I'm more intrigued than can't wait. The fact that the classic look's gonna go once the new look is fully working fills me with trepidation. All those site themes lost... T_T Have they thought of this? Has someone  sorted out what's gonna happen on birthdays - either ours or the site's - when the birthday theme gets forced on us? Is neo gonna break on these days because the code's trying to enforce something that doesnt exist any more. xD

On 6/16/2020 at 10:42 AM, jellysundae said:

I'm more intrigued than can't wait. The fact that the classic look's gonna go once the new look is fully working fills me with trepidation. All those site themes lost... T_T Have they thought of this? Has someone  sorted out what's gonna happen on birthdays - either ours or the site's - when the birthday theme gets forced on us? Is neo gonna break on these days because the code's trying to enforce something that doesnt exist any more. xD

Site themes are probably not the main priority but I'm pretty sure they'll eventually work on them when all the essentials are up

as for the birthday theme... my birthday is in the next 15th so i'll be sure to let y'all know if anything happens in the beta layout

3 hours ago, anapm.agostini said:

Site themes are probably not the main priority but I'm pretty sure they'll eventually work on them when all the essentials are up

as for the birthday theme... my birthday is in the next 15th so i'll be sure to let y'all know if anything happens in the beta layout

Oh yeah, I'm fully aware that the themes will be way down on the list of priorities. Like you're up on the observation floor of the Empire State, and you can see the priorities down there by the taxis in the street, not even in the building, that's how low down they'll be. lol.gif I'm basically just hoping that the mechanics for them are dealt with so they don't cause things to implode. >.<

• 4 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, anapm.agostini said:

@jellysundae

As I promised: no birthday bar on the beta theme 😞 (at least not now)

Whoa what? *switches to beta*

And I totally missed the relevance of what you said before! Because, it's my birthday today too. :D

Happy Cake Day to you too, fellow Neopian! 🎂

I realise today what my issue with the birthday theme is, it's the fact that the header isn't big enough so there's that big expanse of grey at the top of the page

image.png.3b28c2cc6c256d35a098ad530f661d92.png

THAT is what makes it look so awful to me!

6 hours ago, jellysundae said:

Whoa what? *switches to beta*

And I totally missed the relevance of what you said before! Because, it's my birthday today too. :D

Happy Cake Day to you too, fellow Neopian! 🎂

I realise today what my issue with the birthday theme is, it's the fact that the header isn't big enough so there's that big expanse of grey at the top of the page

image.png.3b28c2cc6c256d35a098ad530f661d92.png

THAT is what makes it look so awful to me!

Yay! Happy cake day for us!

I find it cute that there is a birthday theme. It could be better, of course, but it is still a little something ❤️