Old Battledome Mechanics

Shawn

Hey all!

It's been a long time since I've even logged onto the game. However, one thing I really miss time and time again (that I feel no other game out there currently has) is the mechanics of the OLD Battledome system. (I'm totally out of touch with the new system, and know NOTHING of it). I used to be very active in the old BD scene.

I'm talking about things like:

• Pet leagues based on stat calculations
  • Species giving very subtle elemental icons offence/defence bonuses
  • Fierce attack, defensive attacks and the other choices of attacking, that would affect the damage done
  • Certain faerie abilities were useful and strategic to use
  • Offensive Icons, Defensive Icons, Reflecting and Blocking Icons
  • Damage done is calculated based off the nett icon that hits, and then multiplied based off a pet stat
  • etc etc etc

What I'm asking is:

1. Are there any games that offer a similar, if not same, experience/mechanics of PvP battling as the old BD?
  2. Some links to resources that detail the old BD mechanics (e.g. Formulas to calculate leagues, species buffs, and anything & everything to do with the old BD system)

I ask for these questions as if nothing satisfies (1), I will be making it a personal experiment to develop one off (2).

Cheers and Regards,
Shawn
An old BDer who suffers from serious nostalgia

• 1 month later...

Hey Shawn,

I'm not really sure where they might be archived. I did a quick bit of looking on the TDN site, and there is a differences page that went up talking a bit about the old BD.
https://thedailyneopets.com/battledome/original-battledome
I too, miss aspects of the old BD. I rarely did 2p battles, but I was an avid 1p battler, and it was fun coming up with various sets and item ideas for my, at-the-time, underpowered pet. lol Finding uses for the 50% Reflectors and cheap weapons. It was pretty fun, still is, though I've seen fewer and fewer requests for help in that department.

I'm kind of hoping to see another plot with battling soon. My peophin's stats are all maxed out (except Level and HP of course). I'd like to see how far I can go with my pet's current build and the intermediate arsenal he has.

I don't know if there's a way to sort through the petpages, I know some had Battledome guide stuff on them. I JUST remembered one user's name that had old BD stuff on it. I checked out his ULU and he still has a page up for the old BD.

http://www.neopets.com/~garmfry

I too, have things about the old BD I miss. Like those faerie abilities especially those that had animated graphics, much more fun to look at imho. Plus I'm not a fan really of level-tiered abilities. I've said that since the old Ability system was scrapped.

But the New BD has it's perks, despite a few bugs. You can get some rare, or formerly rare items as prizes, up to 15 prizes per day. And, well, I guess that's about it. LOL I WISH that TNT would give us players some more boost-levels. I've been playing for many years and as far as I know they've never increased it, not in the time I've played anyway. With the difficulty levels in the NEW BD, it would be nice to have a better shot at fighting some of the opponents on the Mighty difficulty.  Like Snowy, and others.

If we do have another battle plot, I hope they can get the stealing glitch fixed. During the Obelisk War, it was so much fun trying to Steal the boss' Prismatic Mirror. Since we can't get that item, and it reflects a LOT of damage back at the opponent, it can let you stay in the battle for more turns. If you play it right of course. lol

Anyway, it's nice to reminisce about the old BD. There are some things I do miss, like species abilities and some things in the new BD I like. lol So I guess TNT didn't do so bad with the new BD. lol
That reminds me, I've read that TNT plans (eventually) to bring species weaknesses and resistances back. I might be mistaken about this, but when I've gotten hit by the Lava Ghoul, spinning the Wheel of Excitement, my pet's HP drops more than halfway. I couldn't say for sure, but I think it could be because Peophins, in the old BD, had something like a 15% weakness to Fire. So, some places on the site, like the old Faerie Ability images (and page I think), still seem to exist.