Wishing Well Whining

Nielo

For the past couple of months I've been using the Wishing Well more actively again. (I can go months/years forgetting it even exists.) I'm currently making 7-14 wishes a day, without any luck. But, some people, apparently, have all the luck:

Like this person:

Wishing-Well-08-12-19.png

Or this one:

Wishing-well-how-does-that-keep-happenin

And this one (from today):

Wishing-Well-27-01-20.jpg

Anyway, while I don't begrudge these people their prizes, it is - in addition to making me feel a little jealous :wink: - making me wonder how the Well's winners are elected, because it feels like that system could do with a little improvement. XD

Does anyone have any insights into this? Has this been discussed before and have I just missed it?

I've never noticed that people won double things on the same day. It sounds suspicious to say the least :huh:

I've been wishing for items since I returned from hiatus and I've won 4-5 times. I didn't even ask for them on a daily basis so I guess I was lucky. 
Now I ask them every single day and I don't receive anything for a while. 

I've never won anything but play intermittently. I'll go through a phase of wishing (2 sessions per day, 6 or 7 wishes each time), and then after nothing ever happens, I'll get discouraged and quit for a while, until going back to try again.

I have not won anything from the wishing well and I have played intermittently as well. How much does one put down for their wishes? Perhaps I am a bit cheap?  1000NP is what I always put down. It would be nice to see the average wishing well donation being dropped. 

My own theory is the Wishing Well works like the Shop Wizard , collecting data about users / wishers using their first letter .. for example if your username starts with "n" , the well would grant a few "n" users their wishes in a row .. thus the possibility of winning twice if not many users that start with "n" wished for that day ... or maybe it's a group of initials , like for example this last round , users with "r" "s" t" won ...

Then again I might be just completely wrong and it's totally random ...

P.S not to annoy you or anything , but I HAVE won twice in the same round in the past :P

well65_66.png.6a8499be758319ca77d47cecdc5c3414.png

Besides Angelo's theory, there really isn't much confirmed. I think it's just luck for the most part.

I place about 7 wishes per day, 21 NP each (as that's the minimum you can wish in order to win) and I've had about 20 wishes granted since, oh, 2015 or so? I haven't been keeping track. I generally wish for what's most valuable at the time until its price drops and I wish for a new item instead.

I can only really place 7 per day because my timezone usually makes it so I can only get into one 12-hour period.

12 hours ago, queen_hatshepset said:

How much does one put down for their wishes? Perhaps I am a bit cheap?  1000NP is what I always put down. It would be nice to see the average wishing well donation being dropped. 

I think you're maybe being needlessly generous?

I'm assuming pretty much everyone donates the 21NP minimum. Just going by the 21NP contributions from the Wishing Well that show up on the Money tree all the time. I give 23NP, just because I like the number. kisskiss.gif

5 hours ago, jellysundae said:

I think you're maybe being needlessly generous?

I'm assuming pretty much everyone donates the 21NP minimum. Just going by the 21NP contributions from the Wishing Well that show up on the Money tree all the time. I give 23NP, just because I like the number. kisskiss.gif

I guess being generous was my hope in winning lol. I'll definitely lowering my contribution significantly now! :bike:

Meanwhile I wonder if wishing for something that isn't hugely expensive increases your chances...

which is daft in the extreme as the list of winners shows this clearly isn't the case.  ?

I see Garet won today, does that bode well for his FC bets maybe?? ?

Wow, one of the other winners from today - blankstorefront - account's only a week old.

On 1/28/2020 at 6:02 AM, Angeló said:

My own theory is the Wishing Well works like the Shop Wizard , collecting data about users / wishers using their first letter .. for example if your username starts with "n" , the well would grant a few "n" users their wishes in a row .. thus the possibility of winning twice if not many users that start with "n" wished for that day ... or maybe it's a group of initials , like for example this last round , users with "r" "s" t" won ...

Then again I might be just completely wrong and it's totally random ...

There do seem to be some similarties to the Shop Wizard, although the Wishing Well will usually only have 2 or 3 winners with the same first letter, so I think the mechanism is at least slightly different.

On 1/28/2020 at 12:10 PM, Duskitty said:

Besides Angelo's theory, there really isn't much confirmed. I think it's just luck for the most part.

I definitely agree that it's mostly luck, as I do think it's mostly random, but if I were to program (or monitor) a 'random' contest, I'd make sure that if someone already won that round (or even that day), they couldn't win again, to at least even out the chances for other players somewhat (especially with the amount of people wishing for stuff each day).

On 1/28/2020 at 7:02 PM, queen_hatshepset said:

I guess being generous was my hope in winning lol. I'll definitely lowering my contribution significantly now! :bike:

Yeah, I agree with @jellysundae, the amount of NP doesn't really seem to matter (as long as it's at least 21).

On 1/28/2020 at 8:21 PM, jellysundae said:

Meanwhile I wonder if wishing for something that isn't hugely expensive increases your chances...

which is daft in the extreme as the list of winners shows this clearly isn't the case.  ?

The more I think about it, the more I'm inclined to think that the only thing that might play a part in whether or not you win, is the first letter of your username. But I'm not even certain about that. I think the only things they definitely check are if your wish meets the minimum amount of NP donated, and if the item you're wishing for has a rarity lower than the max rarity that can be rewarded. Everything else appears to be random. (Which is good, except for the double winners. :P )

Oh well. Off to make more wishes! XD

*Edit:

It's almost as if TNT read this thread, because now it's happened to me... XD

Wishing-Well-and-now-it-s-happened-to-me

Wishing-Well-and-now-it-s-happened-to-me

And yes, I wished for the same item all 7 wishes, and received it twice. ?

Oh my goodness! All this time... I have been putting thousands of np down for the wishing well! I took your advice and only put 25 np and I won a dirty fish tank! I am star struck! :happydance:My very first wishing well wish has been granted. That is so cool! 

wishing well oh wishing well.png

@jellysundae good luck! I will keep my fingers crossed for you! My husband was excited with me too until he found out it was just for Neopets. He thought I was a complete nut case when I was bouncing in my chair with excitement.:biggrin:

1 hour ago, queen_hatshepset said:

@jellysundae good luck! I will keep my fingers crossed for you! My husband was excited with me too until he found out it was just for Neopets. He thought I was a complete nut case when I was bouncing in my chair with excitement.:biggrin:

You've just reminded me again so I'll go wish right now xD I think it's gonna be a long old slog before my brain learns to remember to do this, so something for me to look forward to! ?

Haha about your hubby, he just doesn't understand. :hmmph::laughingsmiley:

On 2/2/2020 at 6:16 PM, queen_hatshepset said:

Oh my goodness! All this time... I have been putting thousands of np down for the wishing well! I took your advice and only put 25 np and I won a dirty fish tank! I am star struck! :happydance:My very first wishing well wish has been granted. That is so cool! 

Awesome, congrats! :D

(And @jellysundae, this thread has now been lucky for both @queen_hatshepset and me, so who knows, you might suddenly have your wish (or two of them XD) granted as well. ?)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've remembered to wish, I'm kind of, sort of, getting better at it. ?

I go through the names of the winners each time because this thread got me intrigued, lol.

I see Garet's won, AGAIN.

image.png.6267fab8a1f097161b94994beceb8c3c.png

His name crops up quite a lot, as does Purplebin from JN. Now we know giving more money doesn't help, but is the Well seriously giving preferential treatment to Neo "VIPs"??

Is it sucking up to the cool kids?? ?

@jellysundae Interesting! It does seem like an awful big coincidence, considering how hard winning seems to be with so many people entering, and the "random" algorithm. Which might be slightly less random, if certain people are winning more than others...

I think the only thing to do is for one of us to become one of the "VIPs", and see if we start winning more often. ? :P