SDB hoarder or minimalist? To sell or not to sell...

So Iv currently returned to Neopets after a few years away.

Looking through my safety deposit box Iv notice I have over 10,00 items. Im in two minds whether to sell off all the unneeded items or not, due to charity corner, fairie quests and such.

What does everyone else do? Keep or sell depending on prices, keep to a minimum or hoard everything?

HOARD ALL THE THINGS :lmaosmiley:

I sell stuff too sometimes, if it's worth it, I've sporadically sold red codestones but I'm using those now. But mostly it's hoard everything for Charity Corner. ?

Though... because this year I've been buying Sticky Snowballs in preparation for that, that leaves me some wiggle room for selling things if I feel like it. If next year's CC has the same kind of requirements as this year's I've got my bank interest perk paid for already with those snowballs. :D

Selling's annoying though... all that pricing. I think THAT is probably the real reason why I don't sell much. :ph34r:

1 hour ago, jellysundae said:

Selling's annoying though... all that pricing. I think THAT is probably the real reason why I don't sell much. :ph34r:

oh it is. i prefer the minimalist approach because i already have to deal with inventory management in so many other games, i dont want to deal with it in this one. but pricing even the 1k items from my packrat avatar is just mind-numbingly tedious.

plus theres a lot of things in my sdb that turned out to be really valuable? especially the customization items. so i would rather have the np to put into stocks and raising my interest

(that being said, i too am hoarding sticky snowballs)

Obsessive hoarder here! Ever since the year that I sold most of my SDB just before the Charity Corner was announced, I've been saving just about everything. As a result, I had over 18,000 points to spend during the most recent event. Every so often I sell a few items if I need the neopoints, and can justify that because I buy sticky snowballs every chance I get like others have said. But I don't like to. I even go so far as to limit feeding my pets to mostly rarity 101 items. When the events are coming up, I only feed multi use foods like omelettes and jelly, and save one portion each time. I do have a few items, like codestones and nerkmids, that I sell as soon as I get them (now that I'm done training my battle pet, that is). But the rest of it stays.

12 hours ago, Sciurus carolinensis said:

I only feed multi use foods like omelettes

Are you aware that the older omelettes, apart from the plain and rotten ones, are worth 4-points for CC?

These ones

image.png.799a3bb2cf1bf7563fc89d5c08a23c97.png

I set the search to 2/3 so it only shown one lot of each for tidiness sake. I didn't realise this until this year's CC, same with the Buried Treasure prizes apart from the yellow growth, I'm always so happy when I get some Rancid Old Meat from that.

Neopians have some messed up priorities. ?

I even went so far as to organise the CC fodder that regularly turns up on the Money Tree on JN wishlists so I know what's what.

Feel free to make use of these yourself! https://items.jellyneo.net/mywishes/jellysundae/

26 minutes ago, jellysundae said:

Are you aware that the older omelettes, apart from the plain and rotten ones, are worth 4-points for CC?

I'd been careful to keep those ones, as I thought they decreased in value after part is eaten. Looks like I need to do some more research as there's more to it.. Thank you! I had been keeping to the newer 1 point omelettes, but still.

Thats a pretty good wishlist jellysundaeIll have to have a proper look and see what I have in from them.

With all your comments I think I might just hoard myself. Maybe sell off some of the more expensive, but keep everything else for charity corner

12 hours ago, Sciurus carolinensis said:

I'd been careful to keep those ones, as I thought they decreased in value after part is eaten. Looks like I need to do some more research as there's more to it.. Thank you! I had been keeping to the newer 1 point omelettes, but still.

I think, with a lot of the items that you can end up with just part of it, those versions tend to actually be worth more, as there's less of them in circulation maybe? Though I'd imagine it's very arbitrary. Same goes for broken toys I think.

Hmm, let's have a look at those older omelettes fully...

https://items.jellyneo.net/search/?name=omelette&min_rarity=102&max_rarity=179&sort=5

So yeah, sorted by price the whole ones are generally cheaper, Neo's crazy economy, gotta love it! ?

The Giant Omelette does still give a good amount of the newer omelettes out though, doesn't it, so no need for your pets to go hungry if you tuck away the r102+ ones. ? Unless they refuse to eat 'em of course!

OH!!! and it took me SO long to think of this that I had a real ?‍♀️ moment, but...

My Draik refuses to eat the Plain Omelette (I mean I can't say I blame her, pretty boring! ?) So I'd give her a different flavour. Finally had a ? moment one day and realised that it's only the first bite that she won't eat, but the length of the name is different for the other two bites so shouldn't trigger the same-as-pet-name-length refusal thing and she should eat those no problem, and she does!

Yay for eventual epiphanies! ?

I do a mix. I sell to make NPs to buy more stuff for CC. I got cleared out last time so I only have 50k of items (25k of which are r90s) and at other CCs I've had 120k so I feel the need to up my buying game. But they keep switching up CC on us so who knows what the format will be next time? If there even is a next time...

On 12/6/2019 at 12:40 PM, jaydeed said:

But they keep switching up CC on us so who knows what the format will be next time? If there even is a next time...

This is the ever present fear isn't it, lol. It's so very real! ?

This is why I've previously never spent any NP on CC prep. All the stuff I used came from dailies, BD prizes and the Money Tree.  Last year I trained myself to spot the r80+ items on the Money Tree so the CC value of what I got from there almost doubled. My points total from this year's event was just over 40k, now that's not bad for zero spending, right?

NOW, I've learnt about all these items that I'd previously been eschewing on the Money Tree: those 11 older omelettes; the Wheel of Misfortune Plushies (bar the headless Von Roo one);  Battle Cards; some of Coltzan's prizes... all these r102-r179 4-pointers that I wasn't aware of before, but now am... :snitch:

Also Deavers 8148.gif Hi l'il guy! Another 4-pointer that I get from Little Nippers with the Dubloons I win.

And, I started buying Sticky Snowballs because they're so cheap that even if TNT does alter how the points work and they plummet from 8-points to just 1, or cease to count at all, or anything like that it's really no big deal.

If things stay the same for next year's. I shall have so many points I won't know what to do with 'em! That's a "problem" I look forward to having. ?

I like to hope they won't mess with the current format, even if it's just for the most prosaic of reasons i.e. no time because of the focus on switching everything away from Flash. They'll only need to re-skin the front-end of things, or will they... they might leave Katsumi there for another year and just alter the blurb. I hope so really, I prefer her to Granny, lol.

All we can do is wait and see though, right! And if it all does go pear-shaped and there's no CC, then I'll have only wasted about 40k on snowballs, which is pocket change by Neopian standards. ?

I am fond of some of the new perks, but oh how I miss the old style one! Such a thrill with every donation, even if all I got was clothing, lol. I appreciate the economy crashing, blah, blah, but I look back at one CC with deep nostalgia and wish I'd had the r90s I do now for that one.

And I'll share a tip; Pawkeet Pinatas. Crack ten of them and I find you get, on average, 6 r90s. Plus the other prizes (three per pinata) are often r80s. They're effort, but a really cheap way to build up some good rarities. I don't pay more than 300 nps for them or it's not so cost effective.

2 hours ago, jaydeed said:

but oh how I miss the old style one! Such a thrill with every donation,

Oh yeah! I LOVED the donation process then, such fun. :D

2 hours ago, jaydeed said:

And I'll share a tip; Pawkeet Pinatas. Crack ten of them and I find you get, on average, 6 r90s. Plus the other prizes (three per pinata) are often r80s. They're effort, but a really cheap way to build up some good rarities.

Ooh! I didn't know this! *tucks info away*

Wait, I shall open the ones I have! I have 13 in my SDB, let's have some fun! :D

10 minutes later... still not got one open...

Slight exaggeration, but yes, they are an effort, aren't they! ?

Let's see what I got!

53072.gif x 13

Becomes...

image.png.73def0743d8600078de264c57b8da538.png x4  image.png.7989e61df96c3ab9810b61a3bd48a0ab.png x3 image.png.51db1c5167148c37a57332ad93aa99ba.png  x5 image.png.e9ca00d6f24a9e9469ffc773a7ecec47.png x1 image.png.a6e35295a23f05d4b79569de6837ccc8.png x2image.png.4bb14ed6f4a81ade8e399443d87dd994.png x1

image.png.3631b98a5dcd1abdaf7f8c09f59791a9.png x3 image.png.2df84d3d5da12662d4a30e8c524cc8f7.png x7 image.png.ac42ef916a4af99167a78438aed2bc70.png x8 image.png.b1baa544020f38410ba3bcd37b3695b7.png x3 image.png.e3827e9ae5fff4345f04dfac5574c9e4.png x2

LOOK AT ALL THIS STUFF!!! ?

Thank you so much for mentioning this! :D:D:D

Might have to check out the Pawkeet Pinatas myself. Just checked and I have 7 stashed away. Ill check back in and show what Iv gotten after when Iv had some spare time to get through them.

Seems at this point Ill be increasing my SDB instead of minimizing it ?

You were a bit unlucky with only 5 r90s but even so, yes, you swap one r80 toy for so much more! I open a few at a time or it gets tedious but there's a trick to it, hard to describe; in the little pop up box, try rapid clicking on 'submit' and f5in a sort of rhythm .

3 hours ago, jaydeed said:

You were a bit unlucky with only 5 r90s but even so, yes, you swap one r80 toy for so much more! I open a few at a time or it gets tedious but there's a trick to it, hard to describe; in the little pop up box, try rapid clicking on 'submit' and f5in a sort of rhythm .

I alternate between f5 and enter, no clicking needed. Does that work for you? Not sure if it depends on your browser.

I just went from 24 CC points (12 Pawkeet Pinatas) to a total of 88 points. Got 6 items in the 90s. So buying them every once in a while is a good strategy. Not too often though, otherwise the price inflates.

I used the f5+enter method too, I'm using Firefox. ?

I found it interesting that while my Draik took AGES to open every pinata she got to play with, my Kacheek broke several of his open straight away. Tough guy huh? ?

Had a tot up of my totals there and my 26 CC points from 13 pinatas has become 82! ?