Welcome to December with Advent Calendar!

hrtbrk

15 minutes ago, Angeló said:

they changed it from Soup Faerie Cosplay Bandana and Wig

What what?? I... explain. ?

Something like that had better be a wearable, and if it exists... we'll get it at some point? Or was it just a file name but no item to back it up?

3 hours ago, jellysundae said:

What what?? I... explain. ?

Something like that had better be a wearable, and if it exists... we'll get it at some point? Or was it just a file name but no item to back it up?

yeah i really don't know , it was released like that , but they changed it

20 hours ago, Robin Hood said:

There's a surprising amount of people that don't use adblockers, especially on a site like Neopets. A large percentage of Neopets users are older and might not be as tech savvy.

I'm not sure what age exactly you mean by 'older', but I'm pretty sure that a lot of older users (my mom, for instance) are tech savvy enough to use ad blockers, which are so omnipresent these days that some browsers actually include them by default.

20 hours ago, Robin Hood said:

@jellysundae

Yeah, you're right about that too. Some people refuse to use them because they want to support the companies/content creators/etc on those websites. I'm pretty sure Neopets gets paid whether the displayed ad is clicked on or not (Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, anyone). Although I assume clicking on it probably gets them more revenue,

15 hours ago, jellysundae said:

This isn't how ads used to work, my info is 10 years old though so to be taken with a pinch of salt?

But previously the site got absolutely nothing for simply displaying the ad, them getting any revenue relied entirely upon clicks, and unique clicks at that. Just a tiny amount per click too, a penny or two maybe.

I'm not exactly sure how Neopets generates income from ads, but what I've been able to find is that it's most common for ads to only generate (a tiny bit of) money when they're clicked.

I think @jellysundae is right, and that Neo's resources are pretty limited these days. (I'm also not sure what kind of effect NetDragon's purchase of JumpStart had on the site, but the pessimistic side of me can't help but think that a game that's been bought by several different companies over the years will probably feel the effects of that, and not in a good way.)

Today's book made me giggle, and the fireworks are pretty :D

The swf's like a screensaver, lol.  https://images.neopets.com/cp/items/swf/000/000/600/600210_455cc0d116.swf

@Angeló I see now, it's the "previous version" on JN. Considering the weirdness that's been going on with the naming and descriptions of this year's stuff, I'm not making anything of this. ?

Older as in most people playing Neopets are older. And I definitely know that older adults aren't as tech savvy as people in their mid twenties or early thirties and younger. Know how I know? Because they're not as familiar with the technology as people my age. We grew up using it, they didn't.

I still don't understand all this "their resources are limited!" stuff everyone's talking about. NetDragon a multi-BILLION dollar company with 3.3 thousand employees. Yeah, they're soooo limited. ?

NetDragon's resources aren't limited, they're just neglecting Neopets. As long as the NC Mall is open and releasing new items for people that keep buying them, then it's a viable revenue stream. If Neopets was losing them money, they would've sold it off by now. They're not even bothering to hire someone for quality control. There's so much mistreatment with Neopets that it makes my head spin. That's not limited resources, it's greed.

All this bitterness towards Neopets... which is why I'm not visiting Neopets (or this forum site) anymore. That's one of my resolutions, and I plan on sticking by it. The only reasons I stayed so long is nostalgia and this community. So farewell everyone, it was a nice run. I'll miss you guys, but I think I'll be better off elsewhere.

At first I thought this year's Advent Calendar (or rather, last year's) was the weirdest one to date, but I went back to the archive and watched some of the animations for previous years and... it turns out that the AC has always been random and just plain weird. It's just that now that the animations are longer the weirdness sticks out more :P But it's true that they get cheaper each year.

All this bitterness towards Neopets... which is why I'm not visiting Neopets (or this forum site) anymore. That's one of my resolutions, and I plan on sticking by it. The only reasons I stayed so long is nostalgia and this community. So farewell everyone, it was a nice run. I'll miss you guys, but I think I'll be better off elsewhere.

I feel ya, Robin, I swear at least 75% of the remaining Neopets fanbase is playing the game out of habit at this point, including me.

Best of luck to you!

9 hours ago, Hanso said:

At first I thought this year's Advent Calendar (or rather, last year's) was the weirdest one to date, but I went back to the archive and watched some of the animations for previous years and... it turns out that the AC has always been random and just plain weird

Too true, when I see complaints about this year's I remembered how I've always thought they were pretty out there and was surprised any time one made sense. ?