Welcome to December with Advent Calendar!

hrtbrk

3 hours ago, berriganify said:

hi yeah i have a question, what even was the 28th's video?  o_O i think this is the first one ive actually watched to the end just because.. what??

Hahaha, I had the same reaction at first, like what in the actual heck?? But by the end it made sense, I think... This poor Ogrin is having a life flashing before his eyes situation as he's sure he's about to die.  Luckily, in true fiction fashion, he is saved at the last minute.

It's still very what the heck though, I mean the first flashback fair enough, making a fool of yourself on a big date, yup.

But being pursued across snow-fields by amorous zombies?? ?‍♀️ ? ..... WAT?? ?

and then to come back to himself and find a very scary-looking Hissi suddenly next to you and look pleased?  My immediate reaction would have been ?

He's got some serious attachment to that scarf, too, really horrified by the lose of that, even the music gets all dramatic at that final point. Whoever put this clip together had a lot of fun with it. ?

I was getting excited about getting the scarf as a wearable because of the Ogrin's reaction to its lose, so kinda disappointed at getting the lava instead, lol.

Didn't we had a similar one last year though? Ogrin in a suit, slipping in a restaurant looks way too familiar.

-Searches-

Yup! They used almost everything from last years clip, mirrored it and used it in today's!

http://www.neopets.com/winter/advents_past.phtml?year=2018&day=28

More and more how this year's Advent Calendar's been created tells me we were lucky to get one at all. Just about all of it is thanks to editing existing stuff isn't it. From that I conclude that there was no artist available to make new stuff.

I wonder where the high tea item came from... ? Maybe that is new, who knows, maybe it makes up part of a background somewhere... I'm grateful for it, regardless, I love it!

3 hours ago, Duma said:

Didn't we had a similar one last year though? Ogrin in a suit, slipping in a restaurant looks way too familiar.

-Searches-

Yup! They used almost everything from last years clip, mirrored it and used it in today's!

So then the real question is... has JS given up on being creative? I feel like that question is rhetorical though. Items look nearly identical to other ones, descriptions are wrong, videos are reused, not to mention Altador Cup and Charity Corner this year were plagued with bugs... How much slack can we cut one company? I know they're transitioning away from Flash, but this has been going on for years. Remember the item that was taken from fanart? That was before Flash announced it was stopping, but during the JS era. I know that's only one instance, but reasons like that make it hard for me to take "they're transitioning to HTML5" as an excuse. I just think JS is bad at running a website like Neopets. Sorry if this post upsets people, but I kinda reached my boiling point and felt like I had to say something about it.

I have to admit, the main reason I stick around nowadays is the community. I've lost basically all interest in the actual Neopets website.

6 hours ago, Duma said:

-Searches-

I assumed that was intentional though, considering he's seeing his life flash before his eyes. The restaurant scene was simply a flashback to last year. And isn't the Unfortunate Holiday Ogrin a recurring (Advent Calendar) character anyway? I'm pretty sure I've seen people mention him before, and there's even an Unfortunate Holiday Ogrin Action Figure (given out in Y15). So, while there are definitely instances in which JS/NetDragon have copied previous artwork, I don't think that's the case here; they were simply continuing this Ogrin's story. :smile:

9 hours ago, hrtbrk said:

I believe if you watch all the previous Holiday Ogrin animations, todays makes a lot more sense.... but that requires going back and watching them all on the 28th day  haha

ahhh, that's why, this is my first year back in nearly a decade

in context, it makes sense... although those mutant blumaroos are still terrifying lol :P poor unfortunate holiday ogrin. petition for him to catch a break in the advent 2020 calendar

12 hours ago, hrtbrk said:

I believe if you watch all the previous Holiday Ogrin animations, todays makes a lot more sense.... but that requires going back and watching them all on the 28th day  haha

Challenge accepted! I need to know what was going on with those Zombie Gnorbus Mutant Blumaroos!. ?

HA! So the Hissi he was so terrified by in 2017 he greets like an old friend this time around. I guess they settled their differences in the interim. Although this Ogrin seems to be super-obtuse, he's probably not realising that the Hissi's just saving him from the lava so it can eat him. xD

*goes back further*

Aha! So there's the Zombie, lol.

Yeah I'm loving that they're continuing this saga. To me that definitely shows that they do care. It seems to me that they're still doing what they can with what limited resources they have.

Today's is pretty funny too. Happy Holidays Lyra! Here's something that belongs to you anyway, that I stole to give to you. Yep, you're one prince of a guy, Aurick, seriously. :lmaosmiley:

18 hours ago, Nielo said:

I assumed that was intentional though, considering he's seeing his life flash before his eyes. The restaurant scene was simply a flashback to last year. And isn't the Unfortunate Holiday Ogrin a recurring (Advent Calendar) character anyway? I'm pretty sure I've seen people mention him before, and there's even an Unfortunate Holiday Ogrin Action Figure (given out in Y15). So, while there are definitely instances in which JS/NetDragon have copied previous artwork, I don't think that's the case here; they were simply continuing this Ogrin's story. :smile:

I never really intended my post as them being lazy since it was just part of the whole clip, I just had a déja-vu and went to find where I had seen it. I didn't realize they had his story going on for years on the 28th though! That's actually neat!

2 hours ago, jellysundae said:

I need to know what was going on with those Zombie Gnorbus Mutant Blumaroos!.

Mutant Gnorbus :D

image.jpeg.624ba8e10c9a63a1c2431c6e4d52fcdc.jpeg

10 minutes ago, Duma said:

I never really intended my post as them being lazy since it was just part of the whole clip, I just had a déja-vu and went to find where I had seen it. I didn't realize they had his story going on for years on the 28th though! That's actually neat!

it IS neat .. i usually don't watch the animations , so i totally missed the mark on this one

i still don't get the last one though

did he slip and is having a bad coma trip or what ? or are these repressed memories ?

1 hour ago, Robin Hood said:

@jellysundae

With all due respect... what are you talking about? What resources are they limited on?

Haha, well of course I don't actually know, but I'm assuming that the actual artist focus has been on the NC side of things and that's why the Advent Calendar's mainly re/upcycled items. But hey, doing things that way's very topical, at least! Tongue-in-cheek here, I don't suppose gifs have much of a carbon footprint. ?

But them focusing on NC items would come across as greedy. Can they not afford to hire another few artists? Have some of them work on NP items, and the other ones can work on NC items. I dunno, just an idea. I want to cut them slack here, but there's only so many chances I can give one company before I start thinking "hey, maybe they're not good at running this website".

4 hours ago, Robin Hood said:

But them focusing on NC items would come across as greedy. Can they not afford to hire another few artists? Have some of them work on NP items, and the other ones can work on NC items. I dunno, just an idea. I want to cut them slack here, but there's only so many chances I can give one company before I start thinking "hey, maybe they're not good at running this website".

I've never thought JS were very good at running Neo ? But no, I honestly don't imagine they can afford to hire more artists to create free items. It's not greed though, it's simple economic sense, Neo's got to make money to stay open.

6 hours ago, jellysundae said:

It's not greed though, it's simple economic sense, Neo's got to make money to stay open.

Well yeah, but surely all of the ads are generating a decent amount of revenue. If you don't keep the F2P users happy, then that's less ad revenue for them. They've probably weighed the pros and cons of the ads with paying a new artist already, and figured it wasn't worth it. It would make the player base happier though.

23 hours ago, Angeló said:

Mutant Gnorbus :D

image.jpeg.624ba8e10c9a63a1c2431c6e4d52fcdc.jpeg

HAHAHAHA, and I STILL got it wrong??? ?

12 hours ago, Robin Hood said:

Well yeah, but surely all of the ads are generating a decent amount of revenue. If you don't keep the F2P users happy, then that's less ad revenue for them. They've probably weighed the pros and cons of the ads with paying a new artist already, and figured it wasn't worth it. It would make the player base happier though.

I know nothing about any of it though so how can I form a fair opinion? ?‍♀️ See I'd have thought that surely ads were entirely pointless now seeing as just about everyone blocks them, but sites still use them so what do I know?

I LOVE the Santa Hat prize I got today. :D 

plu_xmas_kacheek.gifLook at this cute little guy!

Now, are today's prizes gonna be random Soup Faerie ones as we got Random Scratch Card Kiosk ones for her...

YUP! ?

That's a cute stamp! Soup cauldron-shaped, look. Now THAT is some nice attention to detail!

I wonder what item got the description for this though?  67789.gif?436

As @Angeló pointed out it's clearly not got its own one. xD But looking through the new items there aren't any sapling items, maybe tomorrow's prizes...

AH! Looking at the new items, I now realise why that Wocky dress that I got from Kiko Pop is relatively valuable, it's a new item. ?

4 minutes ago, jellysundae said:

I know nothing about any of it though so how can I form a fair opinion? ?‍♀️ See I'd have thought that surely ads were entirely pointless now seeing as just about everyone blocks them, but sites still use them so what do I know?

There's a surprising amount of people that don't use adblockers, especially on a site like Neopets. A large percentage of Neopets users are older and might not be as tech savvy.

Experience the Kiko way of life! This was given out by the Advent Calendar in Y21.
Underground Kiko Lake Background

Seriously? That typo still isn't fixed? Didn't they read any messages about it?

This is probably my favorite item from the Advent Calendar so far:

The chirpy little Wocky has set this up all by himself. Isnt it just so pretty? This was given out by the Advent Calendar in Y21.
Holiday Scratch Card Kiosk Background

It might work in some customizations, I dunno.

@Robin Hood Some people actually choose to not use ad blockers to help Neo, don't they. But, unless the way ads work has changed dramatically I don't think that is actually helping? People used to need to visit the sites via the ads. I get what you mean about not tech-savvy older users though; my mum falls firmly into that category, I mentioned ad-blockers to her and her reaction was like I'd suggested she learn to speak Russian or something. ?

Do they EVER fix any of the typos in item descriptions? I've found some in really old items so it seems to be a JS is following faithfully in TNT's foot-steps with regard to this. ?

The High Tea item is most definitely my fave. That Scratchcard Kiosk is a very nice winter background though, it's got enough trees and buildings to not look bleak and barren. ?

Atsumi's Abode is on the wrong layer... THIS is what Angeló was talking about! Light finally dawns! It's on the background item layer. Hopefully that'll get fixed sooner or later.

@jellysundae

Yeah, you're right about that too. Some people refuse to use them because they want to support the companies/content creators/etc on those websites. I'm pretty sure Neopets gets paid whether the displayed ad is clicked on or not (Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, anyone). Although I assume clicking on it probably gets them more revenue,

I find it kinda sad that there's all these items with outright wrong names. What if someone in the future wants an underwater background, so they search "underwater"? They won't be able to find that one, and it's a pretty background. ?

Looks like there's one day left of the Advent Calendar, which means it's time to start coming up with resolutions for 2020! Kinda crazy that this decade is almost over already! ? Time sure flies!

2 hours ago, Robin Hood said:

I find it kinda sad that there's all these items with outright wrong names. What if someone in the future wants an underwater background, so they search "underwater"? They won't be able to find that one, and it's a pretty background. ?

that's a really good point I haven't even thought about yet - with thousands of items on neo, this could cause an item to be forgotten about if it doesn't turn up in any relevant searches. bummer. they really should fix the wrong item names at least, weirdish descriptions I can live with.

my personal favorite from this years calendar has to be the Lava Bubbles, they are exactly what I would have wanted but never expected to actually show up :) it fits perfectly for one of my final customs so I'll definitely use it. 

4 hours ago, Robin Hood said:

I'm pretty sure Neopets gets paid whether the displayed ad is clicked on or not

This isn't how ads used to work, my info is 10 years old though so to be taken with a pinch of salt?

But previously the site got absolutely nothing for simply displaying the ad, them getting any revenue relied entirely upon clicks, and unique clicks at that. Just a tiny amount per click too, a penny or two maybe.

5 hours ago, jellysundae said:

I LOVE the Santa Hat prize I got today. :D 

plu_xmas_kacheek.gifLook at this cute little guy!

i got him too .. was gonna post about it but got busy 

5 hours ago, jellysundae said:

YUP! ?

That's a cute stamp! Soup cauldron-shaped, look. Now THAT is some nice attention to detail!

they changed it from Soup Faerie Cosplay Bandana and Wig

i think that was a wearable .. it'd be amazing to have it .. 

the Stamp is going for 150k .. i bought an extra , just in case it inflates some more .. hope my money went in the right direction though .. im usually not very good at predicting these things :D