Enter the Runway #90!

Nielo

If you're new to the contest, or simply want a reminder of the rules, they can be found right here.

Current theme: Animated!
Description: Dress up a pet to look like a character from an animated movie. (Think anything by Disney, Pixar, Dreamworks, Studio Ghibli, etc. To limit the amount of possible characters somewhat: try to stick to characters from feature films. So, no characters from TV shows.)
Entering period: Monday, November 11 - Sunday, November 17
Voting period: Monday November 18 - Sunday, November 24

I also just want to remind everyone that whenever the image DTI provides doesn't look as awesome as you'd like, it's always okay to send me a screenshot instead! I've posted a guide about taking/sending screenshots. If anything is still unclear, or if you have any corrections/additions, please post in that thread, or let me know some other way.

If you have any questions about this round or the Runway in general, just post them here, or send me a message. :smile: 
(Also: never hesitate to send me suggestions for future themes!
)

?

*tries to create ALL THE GHIBLI CHARACTERS*

?

*urge rears its head*

*tries to resist*

:ph34r:

Nope, sorry, can't do it!

THERE'S A SNAKE IN MY BOOT!

image.png.7381e09e8aca64412dc1a0f727fc1cc7.png

*flees from thrown objects*

I love this theme but I wonder why @Nielo decided to gathered all those options in one round only! 

I'd like to see a round for each for example, maybe... in the future? Or rounds dedicated to a specific movie? * eyes shinning *

Resultado de imagem para animated hopeful gif

Also, sorry that I didn't sent ideas for future rounds, been quite busy :who-let-rip:

16 minutes ago, Yuiina said:

I love this theme but I wonder why @Nielo decided to gathered all those options in one round only! 

I'd like to see a round for each for example, maybe... in the future? Or rounds dedicated to a specific movie? * eyes shinning *

Resultado de imagem para animated hopeful gif

Also, sorry that I didn't sent ideas for future rounds, been quite busy :who-let-rip:

Several reasons:

1. I pretty much just take the themes as they were suggested to me (only making small edits when needed)

2. This way most people will know a character they can use. Focusing on one particular animation studio would not only mean that people would have to know those particular movies to participate, it might also cause some confusion in case people assume a movie is by one studio, but it's really by another. (For instance, I grew up thinking the animated movie Anastasia was by Disney. Turns out it's by 20th Century Fox.)

3. Just picking one movie might exclude a lot of people from entering. I know there are "classics" and films that "everybody has seen", but the truth is (and I'm saying this as someone with a degree in film studies ?) there's a lot of films that "everybody has seen" that I have. not. seen. Turns out that everybody has different definitions of which movies should be on that list. Also, dressing up pets like certain characters is hard, and for some films, that would mean that everybody would end up customising the same character.

So, sorry, but there's only a very slim chance that there'll ever be a round for just one movie, or for just one of these animation studios.

(And no worries, there's no rush! There's still a lot of themes on the list. :smile: )

@Yuiina looking for a sideways way to win, by being the only entry? ?

?

I'm suspecting that I'll not know a lot of the entries in this round. My film-watching isn't very extensive.?

My entry is in though. :ph34r:

1 hour ago, Nielo said:

For instance, I grew up thinking the animated movie Anastasia was by Disney. Turns out it's by 20th Century Fox

Oh really? :ohmy:

I think that... now it belongs to Disney. 
Let me check...

On December 14, 2017, The Walt Disney Company officially acquired 21st Century Fox for $52.4 Billion dollars, which in turn means that Disney owns the rights to the now twenty-year-old Anastasia film.

As I thought, Disney bought all of that. :D 

I've spent my childhood watching many movies and even today I watch animated. In fact, in many cases, I prefer those to live ones.

When I said that I didn't understand was because there are soooooooooooo many choices! So many movies! 

In my opinion, it would be fun, in the future, to have rounds just for Disney | Pixar | Dreamworks | Studio Ghibli

34 minutes ago, jellysundae said:

looking for a sideways way to win, by being the only entry? ?

Eh? Why? :ohmy: There are so many movies produced by each one of those companies, can't possibly be the only one entry :D 

15 hours ago, Yuiina said:

Eh? Why? :ohmy: There are so many movies produced by each one of those companies, can't possibly be the only one entry :D 

Don't ask me to explain my silly comments, no-one ever said they had to make sense. ?

I am having a hard time choosing what movie/character to do in this round... so many great ones!! :D I will have to play around with some ideas over the weekend. I very, very much look forward to seeing everyones customizations this round (a little more than usual lol) and hope you all have fun with the theme! ❤️

23 hours ago, Yuiina said:

Oh really? :ohmy:

I think that... now it belongs to Disney. 
Let me check...

As I thought, Disney bought all of that. :D 

I've spent my childhood watching many movies and even today I watch animated. In fact, in many cases, I prefer those to live ones.

When I said that I didn't understand was because there are soooooooooooo many choices! So many movies! 

In my opinion, it would be fun, in the future, to have rounds just for Disney | Pixar | Dreamworks | Studio Ghibli

Ah, but see, that actually illustrates the point I was trying to make about how difficult it can be to determine to which studio a movie belongs, because:

1.     Do all the movies that were made by one movie studio suddenly become synonymous with the studio that purchased the original studio? Sure, Disney might now have the rights to Anastasia, but does that make it a Disney film? The list of things that are owned by Disney is vast, but many of the things on there aren’t what I would call “Disney” films. When I think about “Disney films”, certain movies immediately spring to mind, like Bambi, The Fox and the Hound, The Aristocats, etc. I don’t think of Star Wars, Pirates of the Caribbean, or The Muppets. Also, apparently Disney even distributes Studio Ghibli films in the US, so while they don’t own that studio, they’re still affiliated with each other. And all Pixar movies of the last 13 years are Disney movies as well, so making the distinction between those 2 studios would be hard.

2.     When I’m talking about an animated Disney film, I mean a film that was animated by Disney’s animators. Anastasia does not fit that definition, so, to me, it’s not a Disney film. If we were only doing a Disney round, this could potentially cause all kinds of discussions on which definition is correct, and whether or not certain films should be allowed as entries.

I understand where you’re coming from, but I want as many people as possible to be able to come up with entries for each round, and limiting a round to just one studio would mean a lot of people would probably have trouble entering, as not everybody is as into animated movies as you are. ? (A Disney round might be the exception, but that could cause the aforementioned discussions as to what qualifies as “a Disney movie”, and I really don’t want to have to deal with that.)

And even if people could still choose from all the films from one studio, instead of just one specific animated film, it might still mean a lot of people would end up entering the same character, and seeing as you’re one of the people who doesn’t want to enter the same character as someone else, you'd understand how that could be annoying. How well any character can be customised on Neopets wholly depends on the available customisation items, which means that some characters are potentially great customs, but impossible to make. (On several occasions, back when I still entered, I tried creating my favourite film characters, but often failed miserably.)

To make a (very) long story short: I want as many people as possible to be able to enter each round, and I’d prefer to keep the themes as clear as possible, which, in this particular case, actually means having a very broad theme.

(Also, you mentioned having finished your entry, but don't forget to send it in! ? )

17 minutes ago, Nielo said:

Disney's rights to Ghibli in the US caused me MONSTROUS confusion after seeing Arrietty. I watched it on TV initially, then when I watched it again online the dialogue was different! :weird:

I thought I was going crackers until I did a bit of poking about and realised I'd seen the UK Studio Canal dub initially, but the Disney dub was the one online.

FYI Arrietty's a BRAT in the Disney version, watch the Studio Canal version if you can!

This discussion has been very interesting to read. ?

@Nielo

I can understand now why you decided to mix them. It probably was the best decision to avoid problems. 

?

Disney is pretty much everywhere nowadays. I remember back in the days when Ponyo was released that I listened "... a Disney movie ..." and I was "Eh?! What?!" :who-let-rip:

17 hours ago, jellysundae said:

FYI Arrietty's a BRAT in the Disney version, watch the Studio Canal version if you can!

I tend to watch such movies on the original version instead of dubbed because I've heard some... bad... things :laughingsmiley:

4 hours ago, Yuiina said:

I tend to watch such movies on the original version instead of dubbed because I've heard some... bad... things 

I'll be honest, I tend to find the Japanese voices grating in the original versions ? Plus now, because of my brain issues, watching the film whilst reading subtitles is entirely beyond me. ? Studio Canal dubs are good though. ?

1 hour ago, jellysundae said:

I'll be honest, I tend to find the Japanese voices grating in the original versions

I'm so used to Japanese that I don't find them annoying anymore :D 

1 hour ago, jellysundae said:

because of my brain issues, watching the film whilst reading subtitles is entirely beyond me. ?

I understand! Makes sense :D 

I watched Spirit Away and Howl's Moving Castle in Portuguese and they aren't bad at all but there are situations where it is just "off". Still... better than USA dubs... they tend to make a lot of hmmmmm... how to say it.... hmmmmmmmmmmm... let's say they're not good :laughingsmiley:

13 hours ago, Yuiina said:

I watched Spirit Away and Howl's Moving Castle in Portuguese and they aren't bad at all but there are situations where it is just "off". Still... better than USA dubs... they tend to make a lot of hmmmmm... how to say it.... hmmmmmmmmmmm... let's say they're not good 

I have to admit that I don't like Christian Bale as Howl. Howl's Moving Castle was the first Ghibli film I saw, and that was the original with subtitles; this is a few years back now before brain issues worstened. I still missed stuff though, as I realised when I watched the dubbed version.

But Bale's voice is just so wrong for Howl, it's too deep and sombre. I'm used to it now so it doesn't bother me any more, but it was a real shock to me at first, especially after the lighter Japanese voice. Hmm, I think it was the female Japanese voices that bothered me then... too high and cackly for my western ears, like a flock of hens. I wonder how we sound to people who can't understand us... ?

Christian Bale is the voice behind Howl? 

Resultado de imagem para eyes shining gif

How interesting! 

I liked the voice of Howl in Portuguese as well, very .... mysterious and charming. I love that actors voice a lot.

You can hear the voice if you play the video.

And I understand what you mean about the female voices. They tend to be screechy :laughingsmiley:

2 hours ago, Yuiina said:

You can hear the voice if you play the video.

He sounds nice :D Not too deep, just right. And yes, screechy. ?

Meanwhile I'm seeing if I can manage a back-stage entry with what I'd initially thought of, and DTI is having a laugh at my expense!

c8PlG5q.jpg

You haven't seen an invisible pet?

Hah hah hah... oh, my aching sides... :rolleyes:

EDIT

Edit the heck outta this!!!

OH EM GEE I TOTALLY NAILED IT ?

*runs around flailing*

Only hypothetically I'll have you know, if I actually tried to run around, especially whilst flailing, this... yeah, this would not end well. ?

But in my head? ?:dance:

Now though, do I switch this to my entry... I can't do decisions!!! ?

@Nielo's no help either as she's not seen this film. ?

Also, off for nap now before Yuiina yells at me! :P

37 minutes ago, jellysundae said:

You haven't seen an invisible pet?

Hah hah hah... oh, my aching sides... :rolleyes:

:laughingsmiley::laughingsmiley::laughingsmiley::laughingsmiley::laughingsmiley::laughingsmiley::laughingsmiley::laughingsmiley::laughingsmiley::laughingsmiley:

38 minutes ago, jellysundae said:

I can't do decisions!!! ?

Did I infected you somehow? :laughingsmiley:

40 minutes ago, jellysundae said:

Also, off for nap now before Yuiina yells at me! :P

Yes, it's kind of late already for a nap :ph34r:

4 hours ago, Yuiina said:

Yes, it's kind of late already for a nap 

Yes it was, I woke back up at 7PM xD No worries though, but I still don't know whether to switch my entries or not. Realistically I probably won't because, effort. ?