Flash games not working?

sunny098

Am I the only one where flash games aren't working? I just end up getting a screen like this, it used to be intermittent but now it's been the same for several days now. I'm using Google Chrome, I've allowed Flash on Neopets. Anyone else having the same issues?

Screen Shot 2019-11-01 at 8.58.58 AM.png

10 hours ago, sunny098 said:

Am I the only one where flash games aren't working? I just end up getting a screen like this, it used to be intermittent but now it's been the same for several days now. I'm using Google Chrome, I've allowed Flash on Neopets. Anyone else having the same issues?

Screen Shot 2019-11-01 at 8.58.58 AM.png

Are you using an ad blocker extension with Chrome? If not, try using one. The "black screen, with 3 red, cycling dots" is where an ad is supposed to play, before the Flash game loads, but for some unknown reason, doesn't. An ad blocker should block the "bad" ad, and take you straight to the Flash game loading screen. The ads are not Flash based, but HTML5. However, not all ad blockers may block the ad, so you may have to try a few. I use Ad Block Plus, and have no issues. I understand ad blockers are like browsers - everyone has their preferences. I'm not trying to get anyone to use ABP, but if none are working, just try it, and see if the games load. Even with an ad blocker, you may see the "black screen, with 3 red, cycling dots" for a few seconds, and then the Flash game loading. Since Neopets has been using StackPath, for "security measures", I believe that has something to do with it. Also, clearing Chrome's cache may help, too. Hope this helps.

2 hours ago, Scoobert_Doo said:

Are you using an ad blocker extension with Chrome? If not, try using one. The "black screen, with 3 red, cycling dots" is where an ad is supposed to play, before the Flash game loads, but for some unknown reason, doesn't. An ad blocker should block the "bad" ad, and take you straight to the Flash game loading screen. The ads are not Flash based, but HTML5. However, not all ad blockers may block the ad, so you may have to try a few. I use Ad Block Plus, and have no issues. I understand ad blockers are like browsers - everyone has their preferences. I'm not trying to get anyone to use ABP, but if none are working, just try it, and see if the games load. Even with an ad blocker, you may see the "black screen, with 3 red, cycling dots" for a few seconds, and then the Flash game loading. Since Neopets has been using StackPath, for "security measures", I believe that has something to do with it. Also, clearing Chrome's cache may help, too. Hope this helps.

I personally use UBlock Origin. Works even on some sites with those ad-block detection codes, and offers more control to manually prevent detection on some it doesn't block by default so...

It's weird, this has never happened before. It was working up until a week ago and I didn't change any settings or anything.

I know uBlock Origin is a "favorite". However, I have heard of issues of ads not being blocked, with it and Chrome. Also, "StackPath" was causing issues for everyone, myself included, about two weeks ago, when individuals were receiving the "security measures" messages. I was receiving the "black screen, with three, red dots", but it wasn't going away, after a few seconds. I believe Neopets had to do something on their end, as they posted this on 23 October:

23rd October

• Experiencing more glitches than usual? Well, we just wanted to let you know that we have been listening about all the recent issues and have made some fixes! This includes the 'offline' and the 'undefined' score messages that have been popping up recently. We also made fixes to neoboards, neomessages and stocking your shop. (If you continue to see these old errors; clearing your cache can help trigger the new fix). Thank you for all your patience!

After I cleared my browser's cache (Firefox), I still saw the black screen/3 red dots, but they only lasted a few seconds and the Flash games loaded. It sounds like that "problem" may be back, as I still see posts on the "Help" and "Games" Neoboard. Could email [email protected] to see if they can assist or are aware. (Might be the best option, for now).

I have, also, heard of anti-virus/anti-malware programs blocking Flash, sometimes via a browser plugin/extension, (McAfee was one), so you could check that, too. And, it is possible, if you use many, for another installed plugin/extension to cause issues, too. You could try disabling them all, or one at a time, and see if the games load.

Are you using the latest version of Chrome (78.0.3904.87)? Is the "built-in" Flash for Chrome up-to-date (32.0.0.270)?

Not sure about uBlock Origin, but, are you able to update the filter lists? I know you can, with ABP. Sometimes, I have issues when the filters haven't been updated. Manually updating them, usually gets everything back to "normal".

As a test, and only as a test, you could try disabling uBlock Origin and installing ABP. If games load, you could uninstall ABP, and re-enable uBlock Origin. Once re-enabled, you may need to "play around" with uBlock Origin's settings. If you don't wish to try, I understand. Playwire is the ad provider Neopets is using. I have heard of others "allowing" Playwire, via their ad block plugin, and the games loading, after the ad plays, or trying to skip through the ad, or blocking it, altogether. The former doesn't make sense to me, as it seems the ad(s) are the issue, from keeping the game from loading. However, if that works, then, by all means, go for it.

You could always try another browser, too.

11 hours ago, Scoobert_Doo said:

I know uBlock Origin is a "favorite". However, I have heard of issues of ads not being blocked, with it and Chrome. Also, "StackPath" was causing issues for everyone, myself included, about two weeks ago, when individuals were receiving the "security measures" messages. I was receiving the "black screen, with three, red dots", but it wasn't going away, after a few seconds. I believe Neopets had to do something on their end, as they posted this on 23 October:

After I cleared my browser's cache (Firefox), I still saw the black screen/3 red dots, but they only lasted a few seconds and the Flash games loaded. It sounds like that "problem" may be back, as I still see posts on the "Help" and "Games" Neoboard. Could email [email protected] to see if they can assist or are aware. (Might be the best option, for now).

I have, also, heard of anti-virus/anti-malware programs blocking Flash, sometimes via a browser plugin/extension, (McAfee was one), so you could check that, too. And, it is possible, if you use many, for another installed plugin/extension to cause issues, too. You could try disabling them all, or one at a time, and see if the games load.

Are you using the latest version of Chrome (78.0.3904.87)? Is the "built-in" Flash for Chrome up-to-date (32.0.0.270)?

Not sure about uBlock Origin, but, are you able to update the filter lists? I know you can, with ABP. Sometimes, I have issues when the filters haven't been updated. Manually updating them, usually gets everything back to "normal".

As a test, and only as a test, you could try disabling uBlock Origin and installing ABP. If games load, you could uninstall ABP, and re-enable uBlock Origin. Once re-enabled, you may need to "play around" with uBlock Origin's settings. If you don't wish to try, I understand. Playwire is the ad provider Neopets is using. I have heard of others "allowing" Playwire, via their ad block plugin, and the games loading, after the ad plays, or trying to skip through the ad, or blocking it, altogether. The former doesn't make sense to me, as it seems the ad(s) are the issue, from keeping the game from loading. However, if that works, then, by all means, go for it.

You could always try another browser, too.

I figured it out. Chrome was filtering 3rd Party Cookies. I had to unblock playwire. Finally works again.

• 5 weeks later...
6 hours ago, bonnie_morrison said:

I tried turning off block third party cookies but then the game loaded with a grey screen instead of the game

A "grey screen", usually, means Flash is not enabled for Neopets, within your browser. Which browser are you using (Chrome, Firefox, Edge, Safari, etc)?

If Chrome, take a look here, on TDN, for instructions:

https://thedailyneopets.com/articles/enabling-flash-on-neopets

I'm using Google Chrome, I have IE and Firefox on my PC, but they aren't set up for FLash

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Duma) because of a violation of the forum rules.
Please keep your posts at 7 words or above.
Per the reason above, please review our SPAM rules.

Edited by bonnie_morrison
brought post up to word count