Enter the Runway #88!

Nielo

If you're new to the contest, or simply want a reminder of the rules, they can be found right here.

Current theme: Once Upon A Time
Description: Create an entry inspired by a fairy tale.
Entering period: Monday, October 7 - Sunday, October 13 20
Voting period: Monday October 14 21 - Sunday, October 20 27

I also just want to remind everyone that whenever the image DTI provides doesn't look as awesome as you'd like, it's always okay to send me a screenshot instead! I recently posted a guide about taking/sending screenshots. If anything is still unclear, or if you have any corrections/additions, please post in that thread, or let me know some other way.

If you have any questions about this round or the Runway in general, just post them here, or send me a message. :smile: 
(Also: never hesitate to send me a message if you have any theme suggestions!
)

Hmm!!! ?

Nice! Because this is a narrow frame of reference, which is a good thing for a lot of us, BUT, there's plenty of interesting options within it!

OMG YAAAAS! This is going to be sooo exciting!! :D Love that theme!
Edit: Sent in my entry! I`ll probably make an alternate one or two for fun! Looking forward to seeing what everyone comes up with!

13 minutes ago, gypsyknees said:

Can I clarify, does this mean "faerie tale" as in a Neopets specific thing or a general fairytale? 

Ooh! I'd not considered that, so I guess I'm thinking @Nielo means RL fairy tales, but if any Neo ones exist can those be included too?

Can it stretch to folk tales too? Not all countries have fairy tales, as I found out from @Yuiina recently.

31 minutes ago, jellysundae said:

Ooh! I'd not considered that, so I guess I'm thinking @Nielo means RL fairy tales, but if any Neo ones exist can those be included too?

Can it stretch to folk tales too? Not all countries have fairy tales, as I found out from @Yuiina recently.

47 minutes ago, gypsyknees said:

Can I clarify, does this mean "faerie tale" as in a Neopets specific thing or a general fairytale? 

General fairy tale, such as Cinderella, The Ugly Duckling, Goldilocks, etc.  I am fully assuming that folk tales fall into that category as well. ?

So stories like the Wizard of Oz and Mary Poppins would not qualify as those are childrens literature, not fairy tales or folk tales.

4 hours ago, gypsyknees said:

I honestly hadn't even thought about Neopets' faeries. Oops. ?

So yeah, I meant fairy tales.

3 hours ago, jellysundae said:

There are still several faerie themes on the list of themes that I have, so I think I'd like this one to be just fairy tales, not faerie ones, to keep it more contained to one theme.

When I think about fairy tales, I think about the Brothres Grimm and Hans Christian Andersen. Looking them up, I noticed the Brothers Grimm were described as being "among the first and best-known collectors of German and European folk tales". So I guess they'd be considered folk tales as well. (I think Holland doesn't have any fairy tales of its own either, at least, none that I can think of. Or folk tales, for that matter. ? I grew up with the fairy/folk tales I mentioned above.)

So, to summarise: base your entry on fairy or folk tales, but not on faerie tales.

I was excited by this round, but have yet to manage to make a start on my entry. ? HOPEFULLY gonna manage it today, while I'm thinking about it!

EDIT!

Yes! Inspiration happened! :whistle:

I just made an account in order to enter this contest. I may have misunderstood "one pet per entry" as i sent in multiple entries I hope thats okay :'D If not just enter one of them! Sorry for any inconvenience! 

---

I actually got a little too excited for this theme and made about 10 different outfits... oops haha

On 10/8/2019 at 8:00 PM, Nielo said:

(I think Holland doesn't have any fairy tales of its own either, at least, none that I can think of. Or folk tales, for that matter. ? I grew up with the fairy/folk tales I mentioned above.)

isn't Santa Claus dutch ? he's the most famous folk tale in history :D 

also googling i found these , which all look amazing and I'm going to read them all , especially the first one because I always want more cheese :D

Dutch Fairy Tales, Folk Tales and Fables
  • The Boy Who Wanted More Cheese.
  • The Boar with the Golden Bristles.
  • The Cat and the Cradle.
  • The Curly-Tailed Lion.
  • The Entangled Mermaid.
  • The Farm That Ran Away and Came Back.
  • The Goblins Turned to Stone.
  • The Ice King and His Wonderful Grandchild.
  • The Kabouters and the Bells.

Also I believe La Fontaine qualifies ... I love his fables 

8 hours ago, Angeló said:

also googling i found these , which all look amazing and I'm going to read them all , especially the first one because I always want more cheese :D

?

I want to read this too now, that's just such an epic title.

I'm guessing this is definitely a fable; is it gonna be about lactose intolerance?? ?

I've just read the Cheese fable, lol. Fables are basically just a way people tried to get their kids to behave, aren't they. This one is aversion therapy at its finest. ?

17 hours ago, Angeló said:

isn't Santa Claus dutch ? he's the most famous folk tale in history :D 

• The Boar with the Golden Bristles.
  • The Cat and the Cradle.
  • The Curly-Tailed Lion.
  • The Entangled Mermaid.
  • The Farm That Ran Away and Came Back.
  • The Goblins Turned to Stone.
  • The Ice King and His Wonderful Grandchild.
  • The Kabouters and the Bells.

Also I believe La Fontaine qualifies ... I love his fables 

We do have a long-standing tradition surrounding St. Nicholas (called "Sinterklaas" over here, instead of Santa Claus), but I don't think it necessarily originated in Holland. (Saint Nicholas was born in what we now call Turkey and, according to (the Dutch page on) Wikipedia, German and French schools celebrated a St. Nicholas holiday as far back as the middle ages.) I never really thought of it as a folk tale though, as it has its history in religion, but I guess it can be considered a folk tale. :smile:

I... don't recognise any of these stories. ?
I googled the Dutch translation of 'the boy who wanted more cheese', and found... nothing. ? I only found the English story. Honestly, I have no clue what these stories are about, or if I'm supposed to have heard of them. XD

And I have to admit to never having heard of La Fontaine either. Google tells me he's French though (unless you were no longer talking about Dutch folk tales, but just about fairy tales/fables in general?).

8 hours ago, aleu1986 said:

Thanks for Googling these for us, Angelo! I totally want to read them now too, I don`t recognize any of the titles, but I love to read fairy/folk tales from other countries, they`re so telling of the culture. ?

Considering I've never even heard of any of them, I'm not sure how much you'd actually be able to (accurately) conclude about Dutch culture. ?

(Also, the few old Dutch stories I know have little in common with current-day Dutch culture. They've always felt very alien to me.)

5 hours ago, Nielo said:

Google tells me he's French though

yes La Fontaine is French and he mixed some old stories like Aesop Fables with some other stuff :) 

There's also an Indian-Persian-Arabic (translated) Fable book that I loved as a kid (and still do) called Kalila and Dimna

On 10/13/2019 at 12:17 AM, angie8204 said:

I just made an account in order to enter this contest. I may have misunderstood "one pet per entry" as i sent in multiple entries I hope thats okay :'D If not just enter one of them! Sorry for any inconvenience! 

---

I actually got a little too excited for this theme and made about 10 different outfits... oops haha

Somehow I missed this post when I read the thread before, but yeah, it's only one entry per person.

Also, you can post any additional entries you made in our Backstage thread. :D